Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 10:15 AM

169 posts, read 386,111 times

Advertisements

OK, so it was the day before Christmas Eve and I was mentally going over my Christmas list before family arrived. I was on Rte. 234 going through the Manassas Battlefield and I didn't notice that the speed limit went from 50 to 35. The change happened when I was looking through my rearview mirror and saw the 50mph sign going the opposite direction. The sign was apparently just across the street from the 35mph sign.

Needless to say, I was caught going 53 in a 35. Not quite reckless driving but close. This ticket carries 4 points. This is only my 2nd citation my entire life. The first and only speeding ticket I ever got was in 2005. My biggest concern is the increase in insurance rate -- then my husband would fine out and I will lose all credibility when telling him to slow down when he drives.

What to do? I've gotten lots of advice but everyone is guessing. Does anyone have first had experience on what I should do to minimize this? Thank you for all and any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 10:30 AM

2,499 posts, read 3,405,402 times
Pay the fine and tell your husband you got the ticket? Or am I just being old-fashioned?

Old 01-03-2011, 10:34 AM

617 posts, read 1,356,434 times
Yeah, I'm more worried about the fact that you would hide it from your husband than the fact that you got a ticket. Wouldn't he notice a chunk of money missing from the bank account when you pay it off? I guess I'm also old-fashioned.

Pay the ticket, admit your mistake. Hell if anything, this gives you more credibility when telling him to slow down, i.e "don't get a ticket like I did."

Old 01-03-2011, 10:46 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Just tell him. It wasn't as if you were recklessly speeding. I think we've all been through area where the speed drops significantly and we get caught up in that. It's not like you were doing 80 mph. Just tell him that you didn't see the signage change.

As for your ticket, with a good driving record you could quite possibly go to court and have some of the points reduced if the judge has mercy on you. Your fine and court fees will likely cost you more though.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:16 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Just tell him. It wasn't as if you were recklessly speeding. I think we've all been through area where the speed drops significantly and we get caught up in that. It's not like you were doing 80 mph. Just tell him that you didn't see the signage change.

As for your ticket, with a good driving record you could quite possibly go to court and have some of the points reduced if the judge has mercy on you. Your fine and court fees will likely cost you more though.

No it doesn't. If the judge reduces it the fine will be appropriate for the charge.

OP. Couple of things you can try. You can pay to have the speedometer checked on your vehicle. The shop will give you a piece of paper showing what the actual speed you are doing for 25, 35, 45 and so on. Quite often the prosecutor will reduce the charge to Defective Equipment since you went to the trouble of paying for this as long as you don't have a terrible driving record. If you have a lot of points and previous moving violations you're less likely to receive any help. Or, you can just go to court on the day in question and seek out the prosecutor. You will have a chance to talk with him or her either before court starts or when the judge released the prosecutor to go out into the hall to talk with those that need to see him. Get there a little early in hopes of seeing them before court starts. If you have a good record you can ask for a break to Defective Equipment. They may go for that or just agree to reduce it to 44/25 which reduces the points a little.
At PW you'll have to go through metal detectors to go into the courthouse. Take out any sharp items from your purse. No cameras allowed to include cell phones with cameras or computers with cameras. They will not hold them and you'll have to return them to your car.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:18 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,131,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
If you have a lot of points and previous moving violations you're less likely to receive any help. Or, you can just go to court on the day in question and seek out the prosecutor. You will have a chance to talk with him or her either before court starts or when the judge released the prosecutor to go out into the hall to talk with those that need to see him. Get there a little early in hopes of seeing them before court starts. If you have a good record you can ask for a break...
I've personally seen this happen. The prosecutor will work with you if you have a good driving record. He/she can suggest to the judge that the charge be dropped in lieu of you taking a driver improvement class. You'll have to provide the certificate of completion to the court afterward.

Also just because you get a speeding ticket, it does not automatically raise your insurance rate. At one point I actually had -12 points on my DMV record. I had a reckless driving charge (stays on your record for a REALLY long time, and numerous speeding tickets). I got a note from DMV warning me that another ticket would get me a suspended driving license for a while and I smarted up. That whole time, my insurance didn't fluctuate. It only became a problem when I wanted to add my motorcycle to their coverage. They said that I wouldn't be covered because of my bad record. I told them that I'd cancel my house/auto plan if they wouldn't cover me. They relented and warned me that they'd drop the motorcycle coverage if I got another ticket - lol.

Fess up to your husband. No need keeping it from him just because you're a lead foot.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:21 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
OP. Couple of things you can try. You can pay to have the speedometer checked on your vehicle. The shop will give you a piece of paper showing what the actual speed you are doing for 25, 35, 45 and so on. Quite often the prosecutor will reduce the charge to Defective Equipment since you went to the trouble of paying for this as long as you don't have a terrible driving record. If you have a lot of points and previous moving violations you're less likely to receive any help. Or, you can just go to court on the day in question and seek out the prosecutor. You will have a chance to talk with him or her either before court starts or when the judge released the prosecutor to go out into the hall to talk with those that need to see him. Get there a little early in hopes of seeing them before court starts. If you have a good record you can ask for a break to Defective Equipment. They may go for that or just agree to reduce it to 44/25 which reduces the points a little.
At PW you'll have to go through metal detectors to go into the courthouse. Take out any sharp items from your purse. No cameras allowed to include cell phones with cameras or computers with cameras. They will not hold them and you'll have to return them to your car.
This is excellent advice.

OP, you sound more worried about informing your husband? Just tell him and if it helps, look a little pitiful. Chalk this up as a lesson learned. Good luck!

Old 01-03-2011, 04:38 PM

169 posts, read 386,111 times
Thanks all. I'll have to consider all advice. However, telling my husband is still the hardest part -- he'll laugh at me for days! I'll have to get off my "high horse" when it comes to "who's the better driver".

Old 01-03-2011, 04:53 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceomom703 View Post
Thanks all. I'll have to consider all advice. However, telling my husband is still the hardest part -- he'll laugh at me for days! I'll have to get off my "high horse" when it comes to "who's the better driver".
OR !!! you could do the most intelligent thing and get educated before you go to court and learn what your rights are . Every one knows that you are innocent until "PROVEN guilty " So just go to your arraignment and demand you right to a "Verified complaint" ( thats your constitutional right) That verified complaint ( look it up for the definition ) has to come from the injured party, explaining his/her injury,witnessed by a notary with his / her seal on the document. How was the cop or the city injured ???? For sure the notice to appear / ticket you were given by the cop does not fill this requirement by LAW. Just check some of my many site postings on these subjects. This works in all states . Additionally after doing this process you're husband will be real proud of you.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:10 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
OR !!! you could do the most intelligent thing and get educated before you go to court and learn what your rights are . Every one knows that you are innocent until "PROVEN guilty " So just go to your arraignment and demand you right to a "Verified complaint" ( thats your constitutional right) That verified complaint ( look it up for the definition ) has to come from the injured party, explaining his/her injury,witnessed by a notary with his / her seal on the document. How was the cop or the city injured ???? For sure the notice to appear / ticket you were given by the cop does not fill this requirement by LAW. Just check some of my many site postings on these subjects. This works in all states . Additionally after doing this process you're husband will be real proud of you.

Yeah. Let us know how this goes after it's done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia