Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:53 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times

Advertisements

In the urban planning forum someone suggested that living walking distance to a grocery store is rare in the US, at least outside of cities with the density of NYC.

While I suspect the vast majority of Americans live further than that from the nearest grocery store, I think its not all that uncommon to be within 10 minutes walk of one. I live in Annandale, which heaven knows is NOT a dense urban neighborhood, nor is it the best planned suburb. But I live 10 minutes walk from the safeway, and when my wife took our car to NY with her this for I guess it was almost 2 weeks, I had no trouble getting all the groceries I needed on foot. Annandale has a Safeway, 2 giants, an Hmart, a Blooms and (fading towards lake barcroft) a harris teeter, not to mention some smaller indie food shops (mostly ethnic). There may be a few parts of Annandale not within 10 minutes of grocery store (mainly the less dense north and northwest parts, I think) but much of it is.

Y'all live in many different parts of Northern virginia. Do you live within 10 minutes walk of a grocery? If many do, even here in such a "very suburban" place, I would find that interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 10:00 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
If I walk fast, Bloom is 10 minutes away. If I'm strolling and looking at the sights, it probably takes 15 minutes. It's kind of a pretty walk, so unless it's chilly out I usually stroll.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:03 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,843 times
It takes me about 10 minutes to drive to the nearest grocery store in Centreville (a Giant) if there is medium traffic. I have no idea how long it would take me to walk it. It's not really practical for me to walk it though since I tend to shop once a week and have 4-5 bags of groceries (and I mean those big reusable ones, not the little plastic ones). If I lived close enough though, I could shop every couple of days. That would be nice (and the food would be fresher).

Last edited by jillabean; 03-03-2011 at 10:15 AM..

Old 03-03-2011, 10:06 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
We live in historic downtown Winchester so there's no supermarkets within a 10 min walk here (city was built before supermarkets were en vogue). However, a few blocks from my house, Dollar General carries the basics (i.e., sausage, milk, bread, etc.). But we have the post office, city hall, govt offices, several english pubs, thai, italian, chinese, sushi, jamaican, french, etc., coffee shops, wine shops, clothing, etc. and George Washington's outpost -- within a 10 min walk from our house.

We have also a corner store, like the kind you see in Philly and NYC neighborhoods, a few yards from our house. Can buy bread, milk, canned goods, water, drinks, chips, etc.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:16 AM

722 posts, read 1,923,494 times
I live in Bristow and the nearest Grocery Store is a Safeway, about 1.5 miles from my house...I've walked there before when the weather is nice and I'm only picking up a couple light things. I think with traffic lights and all it took about 20 minutes to walk each way.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:32 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
Not 10 minutes, maybe 15-20. I usually just buy enough groceries to fill my backpack. If I buy ground beef I have to walk home faster than usual, especially in the summer.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:32 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Unfortunately, no. The nearest store is 2 miles from my house and includes a steep hill each way.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:33 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,311,488 times
Yep - I'm about a 10 minute walk to Harris Teeter in the Brambleton Town Center, but more like 15-20 minutes if I'm dragging a wagon full of toddlers.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:41 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Yep - I'm about a 10 minute walk to Harris Teeter in the Brambleton Town Center, but more like 15-20 minutes if I'm dragging a wagon full of toddlers.
How cute! We saw a dad with two little ones in a red cart out in Leesburg yesterday.

These responses regarding the transporting of groceries is also interesting. We have our cart from NYC (that everyone has). But most recently, since we partake downtown alot, we bought something like this:

Walmart.com: Trifecta Single-Speed Adult Folding Tricycle: Bikes & Riding Toys

Very handy for food but when we're working down at the coffee shop, it's great for carrying laptops, books, etc.

People in downtown Winchester love it! They smile and wave at us whenever we ride by!

Old 03-03-2011, 10:44 AM

26 posts, read 56,997 times
No groceries, but could probably make it to Wendy's in 10 minutes. Groceries would probably be 20 minutes, but I would have to dodge a lot of traffic on my walk, and no sidewalks most of the way. I would love to be able to walk to more "stuff."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia