Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:17 PM

87 posts, read 338,098 times

Advertisements

So is this on the property line to your house? You technically could go after that. We wanted to install a fence here in South Riding, could not get our neighbor to even answer his door to get his signature for the HOA (not required, just notifying them). I did the polite thing and left him a note. A day later I get a call from his son threatening to take me to court because it's on the property line, not within my property.

Needless to say, I still don't have a fence. We refused to move the existing privacy fence (required digging up the patio), and he refused to let us put it on the property line. HOA sided with him, as he threatened to take them to court as well. Can't have back to back fences here, and I'm not giving him my property.

Something to consider...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 10:02 PM

491 posts, read 1,170,887 times
Well, you can take some comfort in this: That fence does look horrible right now, and even if they do stain it to try to match the existing fence (and sometimes it's really difficult to get the stain colors to match because of aging), I doubt that the homeowner's housing value will increase.

BUT: If that fence makes that unit stick out (I'm not talking space wise, I'm talking visually) more than every other unit, I'm not sure that makes it more desirable for any buyers, either. Aesthetically speaking, it actually could reflect poorly, $$$ speaking, on every other property there, as you are fearing.

Your HOA documents probably specify types of fencing allowed and whether they need to be stained (some HOAs specify 2 or 3 certain colors, like they specify what kind of exterior paint colors are acceptable). Read the documents carefully, monitor the fence-building/staining and put pressure on the HOA if necessary. My HOA has "memos of concern" that homeowners can file.

Does your HOA have a building committee or an "architectural" committee that is in charge of monitoring and permitting exterior changes?

But even with the fence built, you've got to wonder: What did they want the extension for? Maybe they're starting to grow pot for when D.C. gets its medical marijuana rules straight!

Old 03-10-2011, 03:33 AM

487 posts, read 1,358,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto-Fanatic View Post
I didn't sign anything, she presented to me Verbally and as she was about to take it out of her purse, I declined. I already know the amount of depreciation this will bring to our home and didn't want any of it. She was very rude about it and said, there are many other neighbors who will be happy to sign it. I assume she went to the other neighbor and had him sign it. It's unfortunate because their homes won't be effected by this, but my house is attached to hers, so we will get it.
Why do you assume it will impact the value of your home?
They want a larger fenced in back court yard.
Big deal.
Are you afraid yours will look smaller in comparison?
Honestly I cant see this having any impact on the value of your townhouse.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:15 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,728,289 times
I don't have any opinion one way or other about the "project" other than to say this doesn't look like any sort of wood I would have outside. It doens't look treated, and will be weathered and grey really quickly.

Can't tell from these pictures, but did they install a gate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia