Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 01:25 PM

501 posts, read 1,192,056 times

Advertisements

How do VA residents cope with living in a state that has snow? I mean, some people choose to live in cold weather states, others in warm weather states. I have always lived warm/hot temps, such as the desert and beaches, myself. But now, I'm faced with the fact that we will be moving to NoVA from the Vegas area, where I know it will have snow at some point during the year. Do you just learn to live with snow, or do you ever consider moving to another state which doesn't get any or as much snow? I think I'm nervous about moving there because I don't know what to expect.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 01:32 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Most winters our snows are wimpy. We usually get one, maybe two moderate storms each winter and otherwise it's clear. Some years we get none at all. Heavy snows can happen, but are rare. So it's not that hard to learn to live with it. If it gets to be too much, it's easy to hop a flight to a Caribbean island.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:36 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
Even folks who live here don't "do" snow well! We don't get measurable snow often...drips and drabs, usually, so when a "big one" falls, most of the folks around here have no clue what to do! Grocery store shelves empty....folks don't move their cars off the streets, so plows can't clean up (and we don't have many plows...at least, not like folks farther north do!) and pretty much everything shuts down for days.

Of course, when it DOES snow, everyone wants to move! But, not everyone can just "pick up and go"....families, jobs, etc...tend to keep you tethered in place!

Our summers may shock you, too....you're used to low humidity...come summer, this is the "armpit" of the country....the NoVa area is low lying and the humidity soars! It's not uncommon for 95 degree days to feel like 103.......when it's humid, that is HOT! (I've been in Vegas when it was 110, and while that is hot, it's not oppressive!!!)

But, you get used to it...both the humidity and snow (when we have it!!!)

Old 03-07-2011, 01:44 PM

501 posts, read 1,192,056 times
When it snows there, is it comparable to what you'd see on tv like when they show NY or Chicago? Like where there's tons of snow and everyone drives along like they know what they're doing? Or is it more of a crawl through the snow? And how well do they plow the roads/freeways?

Humidity!! Yikes!! At least it'll be nice to enjoy the four season weather again. Living in the desert is sometimes the pits, too.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:44 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,843 times
Snow isn't so bad really. When I lived in Southern California to hear weatherman talk there you'd think live piranha falling from the sky would be preferable to snow. Generally it can be a bit slick on the roads until it's cleaned off (which will vary depending on the snow) and it's a pain shoveling it off your driveway. But then you have sledding, snowball fights, snowmen and all the fun stuff snow brings too! Plus, sometimes you get a bonus day off work or at least get to work from home (depending on your employer).

And yeah, humid weather is worse.

EDIT: to answer your question, my experience growing up out here and living in a SoCal (which is close enough to Nevada in climate I think), they only showed the worst of the worst and kind of sensationalized things a bit. If you have no experience driving in snow, you might end up being a better driver than the people who are too used to it (and forget how slick it can be).

Old 03-07-2011, 02:47 PM

628 posts, read 1,933,844 times
I retreat to my underground bunker, where the Glenn Beck survival kit sustains me for several days.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:51 PM

393 posts, read 1,202,776 times
If I were you I'd be more concerned about the hot, humid summers in NoVa. In a word: ick.
I've lived here for 47 years. I can remember many winters when we never saw a flake. We've had our share of bad snow storms, but for the most part they're literally here today and gone tomorrow. And, no, I never think about living in a warmer climate (see my first paragraph).
FYI - fall is the best season here, IMO.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:41 PM

398 posts, read 732,930 times
Winters are much better than the hot humid summers, take my word for it. Snow is magical and beautiful and you can go outside sledding.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:20 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from nv View Post
How do VA residents cope with living in a state that has snow? I mean, some people choose to live in cold weather states, others in warm weather states. I have always lived warm/hot temps, such as the desert and beaches, myself. But now, I'm faced with the fact that we will be moving to NoVA from the Vegas area, where I know it will have snow at some point during the year. Do you just learn to live with snow, or do you ever consider moving to another state which doesn't get any or as much snow? I think I'm nervous about moving there because I don't know what to expect.

Thanks!

We moved here last summer from NM and the posters who say the humidity is the worst are right, I know for us in NM when you stand in the shade even in 100 degree weather you can still get cool, here in 90 degree humid weather there is no escape except the pool, your air conditioned house or car.

The snow is not to bad but people do tend to get excited and probably the biggest problem is that some still think they can drive the same way they drive when the streets are dry. The snow is really pretty for the first day or two and then it gets old really quick.

Whatever you do try to come with an open mind.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:23 PM

885 posts, read 1,553,081 times
I think the weather is great right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia