Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 01:33 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsheehy View Post
Thanks for the heads up! Unfortunately, she's currently in Indiana. However, if going to the job fair significantly increases the chances of getting hired, we would be willing to pay for a last minute airfare. In your opinion, would it be a big leg up in getting offered a job if she attends the job fair?
Personally, I wouldn't spend the money on last minute airfare. I don't know about all the schools and counties, but in my school it was much more common for people to be hired later in the year, when teacher's had already given their notices to leave or transfer and principals knew for sure what openings they had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 02:20 PM

29 posts, read 56,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Personally, I wouldn't spend the money on last minute airfare. I don't know about all the schools and counties, but in my school it was much more common for people to be hired later in the year, when teacher's had already given their notices to leave or transfer and principals knew for sure what openings they had.
Understood, thanks Marie!

Old 03-14-2011, 02:25 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
Thanks Marie! I'll tell her to start applying online. She'll be out here visiting at the end of March. In Indiana, the Principals prefer teachers to walk in their resumes. Should she do that at particular schools she's interested in here in NOVA?
If she misses the job fair(s), but is going to be here at the end of March, she could still contact HR and let them know, "I am going to be in the area and am wondering if I could arrange an interview". They might set one up for her over at Gatehouse. She should still fill out the information online beforehand. I know people who have been hired that way.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:46 PM

16 posts, read 58,016 times
As a former Loudoun employee and returning future employee I would highly recommend that district. The reasons are many but for one I am sure the cost of living is lower than anything closer to DC and the salaries are commensurate. It is also incredibly diverse with "blue collar" Sterling and IAD area to the other side of the mountain and the beautiful western part of the county. Same as mentioned previously about Fairfax but more beauiful in my opinion.
Check their website for upcoming job fairs. Busy hiring season is Spring and they have job fairs coming soon. I went to the one in February and it was easy and seamless.
I know of at least one new middle school this year and continued staffing at two new high schools that were built this year. They expect to hire around 300 at all levels from what I understand. Good Luck.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
If she misses the job fair(s), but is going to be here at the end of March, she could still contact HR and let them know, "I am going to be in the area and am wondering if I could arrange an interview". They might set one up for her over at Gatehouse. She should still fill out the information online beforehand. I know people who have been hired that way.
Great, thanks!

Old 03-15-2011, 02:56 PM

Just saw this on the Loudon County page:

"Loudoun County Public Schools is currently planning to hire more than 800 teachers for the upcoming school year. Classified employees are hired year round. "

WOW!

Old 03-15-2011, 05:31 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
Just saw this on the Loudon County page:

"Loudoun County Public Schools is currently planning to hire more than 800 teachers for the upcoming school year. Classified employees are hired year round. "

WOW!
That seems about right. I found an article from 1999 that said Loudoun was hiring over 400 teachers for that fall (and think about how much smaller Loudoun's population was at that time).

I'm sure Fairfax County hired over 1,000 teachers last year and will do the same for next fall.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:25 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
For future reference of anyone interested in Arlington schools, I went to their job fair today at Wakefield High. It was open interviews (no appointment needed), with walk in hours from 10-2:00. I showed up at noon.

When I got there, there was a long line of probably 200 people checking in. There were 5 or 6 computer stations with attendants where you had to give them your proof of credentials or eligibility, and enter your basic name/email/phone. Then they gave you a sticker with your credential area and sent you into the cafeteria.

In the cafeteria, they broke you into sections--there was an area for secondary, one for library folks, one for elementary, and one for arts, I think. I am applying for secondary, so I was herded to that area.

There were probably 60 or 80 chairs in rows, and we played musical chairs as people got called up for interviews. When I got to the front, I was called to a table to be interviewed by a NBCT Teacher. There was a standard checklist of questions to be asked. I believe there were only four in total. Things like how you'll use technology, how you differentiate, how you deal with diversity, and your classroom management philosophy. The interviewer had a list of buzz words they were looking for that they'd circle if you mentioned. The whole interview lasted maybe 5-8 minutes. I did not have a chance to ask any questions or share any projects/lessons or anything like that.

The whole process took about 2 hours. Very efficient, but a lot of "hurry up and wait!" I think there were 3000 people who went through during those 4 hours, they said!

Hiring decisions probably won't be made until August, according to the people running the process.

Just some info to anyone looking to apply in the future!

Old 03-19-2011, 04:38 PM

28 posts, read 29,680 times
I attended the job fair today as well. I arrived at 9:30a.m. and registered showing my teacher credentials. I then waited in a long line of about 50 people until they opened the door at promptly 10:00am. As we walked in, there were several signs for different areas to sit according to what you were teaching. Like Caliterp, I sat in my section and played musical chairs until I walked over to a NBCT teacher who asked me about 6 questions. After answering the questions, I was given a yellow card that she wrote my name on. It basically turned out to be like the "golden ticket" to get you an interview with a principal. I was led down a hallway where I sat next to some other ladies in chairs where we waited to be called into the interview with a random principal. There were two interviews in each room going on at the same time on opposite sides. I was asked about 17 questions ranging from how I teach reading to how to teach culturally diverse students. It took about 45 mins. I didn't get hired but it was a great expereince interviewing and I think it is worth going to if you are thinking about it just for the exposure to the questions. I have to say as well that there is some fierce competition up here!! Do not be at all lax in any aspect of your preparation to teach in this county. Good luck!

Old 03-19-2011, 07:09 PM

65 posts, read 120,546 times
Thanks for the insight, very helpful! Are you attending the Fairfax job fair? If so, I look forward to hearing your experience there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia