Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 07:47 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times

Advertisements

Uh-oh.

Loudoun May Withdraw Funding From Dulles Metrorail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 08:32 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,614 times
And if Metro funding is withdrawn, those new developments in Ashburn are going to be empty for 20 years.

Agreed with York, the aerial station at the airport is a must, it's like Tysons Tunnel all over again IMO.

Also -- isn't Loudoun paying into Metro on basis of its population? If so then Arlington/Alexandria are freeloading off the system IMO since the Metro is much more a part of their transportation than Loudoun.

Now you might argue that $300 million could be better spent buying out the TRIP folks so the Greenway isn't such a ripoff any more or becomes 100% free, and/or turning 7 into a freeway between Berryville and Route 28 (i.e. flyover on Sycolin and interchanges at Battlefield/Belmont Ridge/Ashburn Village/Lexington), and then get rid of that silly light on 28 at Steeplechase.

My understanding is that 7/Belmont Ridge was included in the recent budget passed in Richmond. In theory you might be able to build an interchange or two in Sterling but the cost there would just be prohibitive since there's commercial centers, etc., there. Best you could do there is a set of diamond interchanges to keep folks moving on 7.

Not a fan of bus rapid transit, buses get stuck on the same roads as everyone else.

Last edited by stpickrell; 03-18-2011 at 08:41 AM..

Old 03-18-2011, 08:38 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
And if Metro funding is withdrawn, those new developments in Ashburn are going to be empty for 20 years.

Not to worry, it's just a bluff. This is nothing more than a power trip to get the station design they want. Similar ploys were attempted while they debated above ground vs. underground stations for Tysons, too.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Not to worry, it's just a bluff. This is nothing more than a power trip to get the station design they want. Similar ploys were attempted while they debated above ground vs. underground stations for Tysons, too.
Witness also my comment about underground Dulles being like Tysons Tunnel.

I was surprised to see Miller making the complaint, I'd have expected that either incoherently from Delgaudio or coherently from Burton or Waters -- unless it was all part of the gameplan.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Witness also my comment about underground Dulles being like Tysons Tunnel.

I was surprised to see Miller making the complaint, I'd have expected that either incoherently from Delgaudio or coherently from Burton or Waters -- unless it was all part of the gameplan.
Yup. It sounds impressive to say they will withdraw funding and maybe spend the same amount of money on roads but why would they do such a thing? It would be shortsighted. Loudoun gets a lot more than $300 million worth of projects from the proffers from the very developments that are attracted to the area because of the silver line.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:02 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Quote:
Now you might argue that $300 million could be better spent buying out the TRIP folks so the Greenway isn't such a ripoff any more or becomes 100% free,.

I thought people complained already about congestion on the Greenway. Removing pricing would only make that worse. I forget, the tolls apply to multiple occupant vehicles too? Maybe you could turn it into one giant HOT facility, with no tolls for HOV-2 or HOV -3.

Quote:
Not a fan of bus rapid transit, buses get stuck on the same roads as everyone else.
In which case its a conventional bus service (even if express) its not really BRT. BRT IIUC is always on seperate lanes - either conventional HOV/HOT lanes, like we have on i395, or fully bus dedicated lanes, with elevated bus stations, etc (some cities overseas I think)

I guess there are bus priority systems that are called BRT, but I dont think we have that around here.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I thought people complained already about congestion on the Greenway. Removing pricing would only make that worse. I forget, the tolls apply to multiple occupant vehicles too? Maybe you could turn it into one giant HOT facility, with no tolls for HOV-2 or HOV -3.
I never heard about congestion on the Greenway itself, maybe around Reston and again around the Toll Plaza/Beltway.

The tolls do apply to multiple occupant vehicles. Turning the Greenway into a HOT road would be a very interesting idea.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:42 PM

738 posts, read 2,957,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
This is going to eff up the Toll Road during rush hour even more that it already is... And I'm sure the brilliant Virginia transportation planners are really going to do a great job adding the necessary roads... I used to be the biggest Ashburn cheerleader, as I've lived here for almost 11 years. Now, when people ask me about Ashburn, I tell them how it sometimes takes me 35 minutes to drive from my house to route 28, 3.8 miles away. And that's not totally abnormal these days, given that there are very few ways into and out of Ashburn. Any time they built another community between me and where I need to go, it adds to my commute... Ugh... I think I need to find a telecommute job.
I've only lived in Ashburn for 2.5 years now, and I feel like the traffic on Waxpool has gotten significantly worse in just that short time. I can't wait for summer to hit so that the school time traffic goes away. I bet it was a breeze to head out of town 11 years ago!

I grew up in Dale City/Woodbridge back when everything there was new and open - 20 years ago it took only 10 minutes to get to 95N, which now takes a good 30-40 in traffic from my parents house, ugh!

Old 03-18-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I wonder if 1265 apartments is enough to help lower the ridiculously high price of rent around here?
Maybe just in the immediate area. I'll bet a lot of those apartments will be rented by companies to house employees who need to be in the DC area for just a month or two. Corproations love apartments near an airport.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:50 PM

227 posts, read 399,074 times
Looks like construction is under way.

Eventually it will look like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Density comes to Loudoun--Will we have a "Tysons Corner" in Dulles?-untitled-1.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia