Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:55 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times

Advertisements

I've seen guys around here wear scarfs without a coat or blazer when it's not much colder than today (80* YES! ). I think it's just a "metro" fashion statement, likely influenced by international residents, that may or may not be reflective of someone's sexuality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 03:10 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
If these kids wanna get jobs after school is over, they'd better not be looking so preppy and silly. I mean, wearing your jeans down to your ass is not acceptable either.
Of all the things to care about, you focus on this?

In colder places like NYC/New England, they are affirmatively useful and, in warmer places like DC, they're harmless. I mean, if you wanted to go off on local hipsters wearing porkpie hats, I'd understand, but scarves? What's next? Attacking guys who add milk to their coffee? It's like the SNL skit "Quien Es Mas Macho?"

I guess wearing a scarf to a job interview at Acme Construction might be problematic, but it would be a non-issue to most employers, particularly those downtown.

Last edited by JD984; 04-04-2011 at 03:34 PM..

Old 04-04-2011, 03:24 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,245,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Of all the things to care about, you focus on this?

In colder places like NYC/New England, they are affirmatively useful and, in warmer places like DC, they're harmless. I mean, if you wanted to go off on local hipsters wearing porkpie hats, I'd understand, but scarves? What's next? Attacking folks who add milk to their coffee?

I guess wearing a scarf to a job interview at Acme Construction might be problematic, but it would be a non-issue to most employers, particularly those downtown.
Hear hear! Yeah I don't see what the big deal is. If anything I've been given the business for not wearing a scarf whilst complaining about the cold when I was wearing a pea coat. Those things do a bad job of covering up my chest. So a scarf is just practical. There's nothing girly about being warm. Its not like the dude is rocking stilettos and actually if that's what someone wants to do who cares? I say you do you.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:26 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,739,696 times
Covering hickeys? Protecting themselves from vampires?

Old 04-04-2011, 04:33 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,715,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Indeed. Members of the Burberry Gang have to be careful not to get on the same train as members of the Paisley Gang or watch out! I-pods could fly!
I think that poster who made the comment about gang affiliation thought the OP was referring to the keffiyeh scarves that were very popular with Black youths from DC and PG County a couple of years ago. Not everyone is a J Crew yuppie in DC Y'know the scarves that look like this. These scarves have been associated with certain gangs in cities like NYC in recent years:

I remember I was out on a date with a girl, who happened to be muslim by faith, and I took her to a bar on U Street and she was insulted by all the young Black guys at the bar wearing these scarves in weird ways underneath their fitted ball caps and such. Literally almost every dude at the bar and walking around outside was wearing a scarf like this. She told me that she would have been furious if I had shown up to pick her up from her house wearing one of those scarves. They have rapidly gone out of style everywhere since...

Last edited by goldenchild08; 04-04-2011 at 04:51 PM..

Old 04-04-2011, 04:52 PM

384 posts, read 1,029,507 times
Default My take on it

Quote:
How come so many young men in DC wear scarves?
They need decorative items to make their necks appear larger and brighter to attract females.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:14 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,406,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandoras View Post
They need decorative items to make their necks appear larger and brighter to attract females.
Ha! I was thinking this too!

Scarves might be the new ties for some men (for men wanting to make a statement, fashion or other). Some ties can tell you a lot about a person.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:32 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
I've bought my husband a scarf or two. I think he looks super cute in them--plus, his coat looks goofy without it, especially when he wears it over a dress shirt with the top button undone. Poor cold neck.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:08 PM

274 posts, read 709,118 times
But you didn't post that picture. You posted one of a good-looking male specimen who happens to wear a scarf. And you say you don't care, just postin', just because?

Quote:
If these kids wanna get jobs after school is over, they'd better not be looking so preppy and silly. I mean, wearing your jeans down to your ass is not acceptable either.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:25 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,429,984 times
I have noticed the same. Except in the biggest cities, and even there, it is largely considered effeminate for a man to wear a scarf, particularly younger men. In fact, in many places, guys refuse to wear gloves or even big coats because they are not considered very manly or macho. In much of rural, Midwest, Southern, and Rocky Mountain America men view wearing scarves as something women or fey men do. It is interesting to see the popularity of scarves on men in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia