Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 06:12 PM

88 posts, read 192,733 times

Advertisements

I'm not from here, and I know about all the ranking publications out there, just wanted to get the local's opinion about the schools here. How would you rank them? I know UVA is #1 hands down, but which universities would round out the top 5?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 06:19 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,124 times
UVA
Virginia Tech
Williiam and Mary
VCU
George Mason

IMO. That's not in any particular order. It really all depends on what you want to major in. UVA is unique in that it has almost any major you could want.

I wouldn't say UVA winds hands down. I mean, in some regards yea, but if you want to major in the hard sciences, Tech is obviously the better choice, it ranks higher in everything for the hard sciences.

VCU is nice but god do I hate Richmond VA. It's not really a city. It's actively works to keep away any kind of night life, forcing you to travel far, very far for one. Plus it's full of bums.

George Mason is essentially a commuter school. People go to class, they leave. Would be a problem if it weren't 20 mins from DC which has all the partying you could want, far, far more than Richmond.

William and Mary I don't know pretty much anything about.

I hear Charlottesville is amazing though.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:49 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
UVA
Virginia Tech
Williiam and Mary
VCU
George Mason.
VCU ahead of JMU? I don't think so, unless in art or doing drugs.

The answer depends on what you intend to study and whether graduate of undergraduate. If just on prestige, I'd put W&M ahead of Tech. However, if you're in engineering, Tech would be at the top, ahead of UVA.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:59 PM

That was just my opinion. Vcu has more majors and is in a better location. Not the biggest or best city but still the state capital.

And tech is Much more known now, though not necessarily for good things. I heard they've got amazing food their though.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:13 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
UVA
Virginia Tech
Williiam and Mary
VCU
George Mason

IMO. That's not in any particular order. It really all depends on what you want to major in. UVA is unique in that it has almost any major you could want.

I wouldn't say UVA winds hands down. I mean, in some regards yea, but if you want to major in the hard sciences, Tech is obviously the better choice, it ranks higher in everything for the hard sciences.

VCU is nice but god do I hate Richmond VA. It's not really a city. It's actively works to keep away any kind of night life, forcing you to travel far, very far for one. Plus it's full of bums.

George Mason is essentially a commuter school. People go to class, they leave. Would be a problem if it weren't 20 mins from DC which has all the partying you could want, far, far more than Richmond.

William and Mary I don't know pretty much anything about.

I hear Charlottesville is amazing though.
I would put Mary Washington University (formerly college) above GMU.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:23 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,723,135 times
VCU has a very well-respected medical school. (It was formerly named Medical College of Virginia.) And Mason has a top-tier law school. I think those lend some prestige even to their undergrad programs.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:36 PM

88 posts, read 192,733 times
Not sure what I'm going to do, but I'd like to move out of VA eventually. I'm not going to major in something useless (art, philosophy, etc). Let's say rank them according to national prestige and overall academic reputation since I'd like to move out of VA. Thanks!

Old 06-12-2011, 11:17 PM

What does that have to do with anything?

Only degrees from certain schools transfer out of state? What exactly is the thought process behind this thread?

Old 06-13-2011, 04:39 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,445,513 times
UVA/W&M

JMU/VT/UMW

VCU/Radford/Longwood/CNU

ODU/community colleges

Probably forgetting some but that's how I thnk of them.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:52 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
UVA/W&M

JMU/VT/UMW

VCU/Radford/Longwood/CNU

ODU/community colleges

Probably forgetting some but that's how I thnk of them.
I'm about where you are on your thinking however, I would put VT a notch above JMU and UMW. I think it's harder to get into VT over those two colleges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia