Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 06:02 PM

4 posts, read 2,774 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am opening up a restaurant in Gainesville. I would like to find out the best way to promote my business. Since my budget is tight, I am debating between newspaper, TV and radio. The cheapest among the three is newspaper, most likely I would go for. My concern is whether people are still reading newspaper, especially local papers, like, Gainesville Time, etc.
Any and all info would be great! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 06:08 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
How about coupons in advertising circulars? A lot of folks look out for those. What type of restaurant is it? If it's a family one you could sponsor a night with one of the local school sports groups where you donate some of the proceeds to them. You should be able to get a pretty inexpensive ad in one of the local papers.

Also, put up a website. At places I've not been before I usually go there to check out menu, prices, directions, etc.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 05-22-2011 at 06:31 PM..

Old 05-22-2011, 06:55 PM

30 posts, read 103,373 times
Word of mouth is still the best advertising, if you can swing it somehow. We read the local papers that are delivered to our house, and I think most people skim them at least. Not sure if an ad there would make much of a difference. One thing I have noticed is advertising in programs published in connection with community activities - ads typically appear in the back of the programs for community theater productions, school variety shoes, ballet school recitals, etc. You might also check out social network advertising resources. Restaurant goers are using those tools.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:26 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,457,844 times
A friend of mine got several of us to buy a half-priced meal at a restaurant, through Groupon. I have no idea whether that would be affordable for a new business but you might want to investigate that.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:42 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,858,331 times
Those coupon things that come in the mail...val packs or something? I always look through those.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:16 AM

989 posts, read 2,856,530 times
Are there local community message boards for Gainesville neighborhoods? I would start there (but make sure your website is up and running first). Also, I would recommend a soft opening to get your kinks worked out. Too many Ashburn restaurants opened before they were prepared and first impressions kept people from going back resulting in their eventually going out of business. Good luck in your venture!

Also, the sports team sponsorship is great, too. Depending on the type of restaurant, you could also look to set up booths at local festivals.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:30 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
I don't know if it's the same in Gainesville area, but FWIW the people in my neighborhood are likely to read local (and free) papers like the Loudoun Times, but don't regularly read than the Washington Post. They also tend to read the NY Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today for national news.

I'm not sure if this means they read the ads or clip coupons, however.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:10 AM

722 posts, read 1,923,837 times
Hi! I live in the area (I'm in Bristow) and I've mostly found out about new buisnesses by word of mouth/internet. There are several websites dedicated to local news/events (including city-data ) where people will discuss new buisnesses opening up. Also, sites that provide reviews for restaurants and buisnesses--I've looked to see which resturants in a certain area get the best reviews and tried them out based on that. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links to those types of sites on here, so you'll have to google

You also might want to contact some of the local HOA's and see if you can advertise through them. A lot of the communities have newsletters and websites...you could also offer some type of incentive, like 10% off for X residents or something.
I know each fall at the fall festival, the community of Victory Lakes has an event called "Taste of Bristow". Local (not just Bristow, some are from Gainesville and Manassas) restaurants come set up a booth and give free samples of their food to residents (it's a private function only open to Victory lakes residents). Usually they'll also hand out some type of coupon as well. We "discovered" our favorite pizza place because they were at "Taste of Bristow."

ETA: Also I agree with others to PLEASE have a website before you open. I really appreciate being able to check out the menu, prices, and what hours you're open before I go to the restaurant.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:05 AM

486 posts, read 1,666,101 times
I work in advertising and can tell you that you should not do the local newspaper, radio or tv. Broadcast is going to be too expensive for what your potential return will be. Newspaper is still read or skimmed, but considering the other options out there, forget newspaper (FOR NOW).
Valpak is a good idea, you need a website, word of mouth, and I can't endorse more Internet advertising for you. If you have a lower budget, highly targeted local internet ads will give you your best ROI. Also, definitely pursue the "taste of" days.
It would be helpful to know what kind of restaurant, style, costs, etc... This will help you define your audience and then you'll be able to reach those people in particular with little waste in your advertising dollars. For example, I could recommend a really upscale website in our area, but it might not make sense if your patrons are going to be more family-friendly.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:39 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,467,499 times
Once you have figured out the media placement for the ad, I can offer to write the copy for you. Free of charge, of course. Send me a direct message, if interested.

Thanks,
K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia