Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 04:49 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,922 times

Advertisements

Originally I thought Borders was only closing some of their stores. But, I got an email this morning saying that they'd be closing ALL their stores....bummer....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 06:20 AM

735 posts, read 1,171,163 times
Default Books-a-million is now my favorite bookstore

According to media reports Borders did not keep up with the times/changing technology as a result missed the wave and got left behind. Their competition managed to adapt that is why Barnes and Noble and Books-a-million are still here.

This is a lesson for all of us keep up with the times/changing technology otherwise you will wind up like Blockbuster, Worldbook Encyclopedia or to use an extreme example- the dinosaurs.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:50 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
Originally I thought Borders was only closing some of their stores. But, I got an email this morning saying that they'd be closing ALL their stores....bummer....
Originally they only planned to close the stores that weren't making a profit, and then sell the entire enterprise. But, they couldn't find a buyer so now they're just closing everything.

I hear a rumor that the Dulles Town Center Borders Express is going to become an Apple store. I'll bet a lot of the stores go that route. It makes sense that Apple would want to snap up the stores, since in many ways it's the same clientele. Customers are already used to going to those stores--they know how to get there, where parking is, etc.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:22 AM

855 posts, read 1,173,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Originally they only planned to close the stores that weren't making a profit, and then sell the entire enterprise. But, they couldn't find a buyer so now they're just closing everything.

I hear a rumor that the Dulles Town Center Borders Express is going to become an Apple store. I'll bet a lot of the stores go that route. It makes sense that Apple would want to snap up the stores, since in many ways it's the same clientele. Customers are already used to going to those stores--they know how to get there, where parking is, etc.

those would be GINORMOUS apple stores! Maybe for the express stores, but for the others like the Borders in Baileys Xroads, it would be a lil much.

I have always wondered what they could put in its spot (the baileys store) maybe a huge restaurant (a la Lauriol Plaza) but i'm not sure if the clientele is really there in that area.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:57 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
I've never liked Borders. I much prefer small, independent booksellers. But for a chain, B&N was better. I hated the way Borders was set up. I could never find anything. I'm not sad to see it go.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:13 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I've never liked Borders. I much prefer small, independent booksellers. But for a chain, B&N was better. I hated the way Borders was set up. I could never find anything. I'm not sad to see it go.
I liked Borders. But, then again, I liked Tower Records and had a soft spot for Woodward & Lothrop. And Boston Market, back when it was in Vienna.

I'll have to give some thought as to what other retail chains I like, so I can visit them this weekend and launch them on their own inevitable paths to liquidation.

Any suggestions? Panera? Nordstrom's?

Personally, I'd like to take down Best Buy, given the "quality" of its installation services, but it will probably be around forever.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:24 AM

518 posts, read 925,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I liked Borders. But, then again, I liked Tower Records and had a soft spot for Woodward & Lothrop. And Boston Market, back when it was in Vienna.

I'll have to give some thought as to what other retail chains I like, so I can visit them this weekend and launch them on their own inevitable paths to liquidation.

Any suggestions? Panera? Nordstrom's?

Personally, I'd like to take down Best Buy, given the "quality" of its installation services, but it will probably be around forever.
I recommend Apple Stores, we must stop the cult of the little "i" before it becomes unstoppable.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:48 AM

855 posts, read 1,173,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninsedge View Post
I recommend Apple Stores, we must stop the cult of the little "i" before it becomes unstoppable.

In all seriousness, I TOTALLY agree with that ban! i find apple stores the most annoying places to visit. on that note, apple in general may be the reason many stores I've loved have gone extinct

Old 07-22-2011, 10:56 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I sooooooo miss Tower records. I love Apple. I never understood the love for apple until I got an apple. 3 years later I want an excuse to get a new computer...but alas, it still hasn't locked up or anything in all that time....dammit.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:01 AM

267 posts, read 511,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninsedge View Post
I've never understood why anyone shops at the Apple Store. I guess some people just like paying full list price for everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia