Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 02:29 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
I just didn't want anyone to think that buying in Brambleton would lead to Metro-related skyrocketing home values in the future.
The clarification is certainly well made, especially given Metro's exclusive use of Brambleton. But judging from what happened in the years after the Orange Line was extended from Ballston to Vienna, being a couple of miles from a station may not be such a big barrier in terms of home value/price increases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 02:33 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I was referring (perhaps too obliquely) to certain local political elements who have stated that their goal is to build the Silver Line at the lowest possible cost. Perhaps you recall my reference to "the usual gang of whiners and screamers insisting that we don't need to build the equivalent of a Lincoln Town Car here while they mindlessly push instead for a second-hand Yugo broken down by the side of the road." As a person with more than a passing familiarity with the English language, I'm sure that on second reading, you will recognize that the object of disparagement here is not the Silver Line, but rather those who would seek to Yugofy it.

The unanswered question meanwhile had to do with the entirely unworkable original situation at National, whereunder one climbed down out of the Metro station into the narrow lanes of a parking lot, then waited in whatever weather for a mystical Metrobus that one then clumsily boarded, bags in tow, in order to be deposited some minutes later at the unsheltered curbside of one of the two then operational terminals. Anyone who could in the logistical sense, continued either to drive or take a cab to National. Yugo...er, Metro to National was not yet a viable option for those with any other.

once again, the cheaper option at Dulles will not Yugofy the Silver line, because the Dulles station is only one station on the Siliver line.

I did not generally use the metro to access National Airport, as I did not live near a metro station. I did sometimes go straight from work (near the King street metro) to National Airport, and found it not worth taking a cab (I usually travelled relatively light, to avoid waiting for checked luggage) I suspect if you looked at actually data on boardings, you would find A. that metro usage prior to the new terminal was significant (of course some of that would be airport employees, not travelers) and B. That Airport metro boardings, whatever they have increased to, are still a very small portion of total boardings along the line from Pentagon to King Street.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
The clarification is certainly well made, especially given Metro's exclusive use of Brambleton. But judging from what happened in the years after the Orange Line was extended from Ballston to Vienna, being a couple of miles from a station may not be such a big barrier in terms of home value/price increases.

the vienna metro station is in fact about 1200 feet from Nottoway Park, which last I heard, was within the boundary of the Town of Vienna.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyField View Post
Wait, this is news to me, and I've lived here 25 years. The Vienna station actually is in Vienna, and the Falls Church stations are in Falls Church, right? You just mean they aren't actually near the "business center" areas of Vienna and Falls Church? Damn, now I need to go look it up!
Be prepared for a shock. The Vienna and West Falls Church stations are in Fairfax County, and the East Falls Church Station is in Arlington. Maybe one day the town and city lines will be changed (again).

Old 10-03-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyField View Post
Wait, this is news to me, and I've lived here 25 years. The Vienna station actually is in Vienna, and the Falls Church stations are in Falls Church, right? You just mean they aren't actually near the "business center" areas of Vienna and Falls Church?

Damn, now I need to go look it up!

one to two thousand or so feet away. Which I guess somehow is similar to a couple of miles, but don't ask me how.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
the vienna metro station is in fact about 1200 feet from Nottoway Park, which last I heard, was within the boundary of the Town of Vienna.
Moorefield Park is in the Town of Vienna. The adjacent Nottaway Park is not, and neither is the Metro station. The town line proceeds west from Marshall Road straight across Nutley and behind the condos, turning back toward town at the back line of the townhouses off the western section of Tapawingo. The Metro station and all of the housing to the north of the station off Virginia Center Blvd are in the county.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Moorefiled Park is in the Town of Vienna. The adjacent Nottaway Park is not, and neither is the Metro station. The town line proceeds west from Marshall Road straight across Nutley and behind the condos, turning back toward town at the back line of the townhouses off the western section of Tapawingo. The Metro station and all of the housing to the north of the station off Virginia Center Blvd are in the county.

still scarcely more than 1200 ft to the town line.

Of course ALL of the town of Vienna is in Fairfax County.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
once again, the cheaper option at Dulles will not Yugofy the Silver line, because the Dulles station is only one station on the Siliver line.
And the South Bronx is not the only area of NYC, but if one were parachuted into it, such that impressions of that area were your first of the metropolitan area in general, it is doubtful that they would in any way be favorable.

And the whiners and screamers I alluded to earlier have endorsed building the Silver Line project in general at the lowest possible cost. Their nonsensical views certainly include but are not limited to the matter of the Dulles Metro station.

Quote:
I did not generally use the metro to access National Airport, as I did not live near a metro station.
No one did prior to the opening of the new terminal in 1997. To be fair of course, the Metro station was built where it was with full knowledge of plans for construction of the new terminal. The ridiculous cockup of the original configuration was always to be just temporary. Today, the Metro station exits into the terminal and vice versa, meaning that departures and arrivals at National are as easily accomplished at any Metro station as they are at the airport itself.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:49 PM

298 posts, read 680,641 times
After some research, it looks like Vienna metro station is a Fairfax address, West Falls Church metro is an Idylwood address, and East Falls Church metro is an Arlington address. All of this is a surprise to me, but they're all close enough that I've always thought of those areas as Vienna and Falls Church. Looks like I was wrong.

But can you blame me? I mean "Idylwood"... really? Do people who live there actually call it that? Except for Idylwood Road, I've never called a location around here "Idylwood." I've always called that area Falls Church.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
one to two thousand or so feet away. Which I guess somehow is similar to a couple of miles, but don't ask me how.
It was accurately stated that the Vienna Metro station is not in fact in Vienna. This is a Boolean matter. Like Nottaway Park, the station is either within the legally defined town boundaries or it is not. It is not.

There are no incorporated places in the vicinity of the soon to be Ashburn-Brambleton-Broadlands-Ryan-Waxpool Metro station. These are all at best merely Census-designated places with no fixed boundaries at all. In essence, they are all colloquialisms of only the vaguest sort of definition. Metro has chosen to associate the current Ryan Road station name with the nearby area of Brambleton, and <cdmurphy> has correctly pointed out that the area generally thought of as Broadlands is actually closer to the station.

How do you manage to connect any dots at all between these two quite separate strands of discussion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia