Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 04:32 PM

298 posts, read 681,651 times

Advertisements

Meanwhile, I'm still rolling my eyes about WMATA appending the name "Adams Morgan" to the Woodley Park station. But that's not on topic for a thread on Loudoun, so I'll shut up now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 04:40 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,128,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyField View Post
Meanwhile, I'm still rolling my eyes about WMATA appending the name "Adams Morgan" to the Woodley Park station. But that's not on topic for a thread on Loudoun, so I'll shut up now.
LOL the last 6 pages haven't been about buying a house in Loudoun either. Two thirds of this thread is about metro. We might as well just go with it, change the title, and make this a thread discussing all things metro.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:57 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,512,280 times
Quote:
After some research, it looks like Vienna metro station is a Fairfax address, West Falls Church metro is an Idylwood address, and East Falls Church metro is an Arlington address. All of this is a surprise to me, but they're all close enough that I've always thought of those areas as Vienna and Falls Church. Looks like I was wrong.
No, they were just little peculiar things not discovered yet. Now they are.

Quote:
But can you blame me? I mean "Idylwood"... really? Do people who live there actually call it that? Except for Idylwood Road, I've never called a location around here "Idylwood." I've always called that area Falls Church.
Well, Idylwood actually is a Census-designated place, but it seems to me that most people living adjacent to the West Falls Church Metro station to the north of 66 kind of think that they live in McLean, while those to the south of 66 are more likely to identify with Falls Church. Who knows, though. Over time West Falls Church may itself become a CDP and poor little Idylwood won't matter at all anymore.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:03 PM

799 posts, read 1,291,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL the last 6 pages haven't been about buying a house in Loudoun either. Two thirds of this thread is about metro. We might as well just go with it, change the title, and make this a thread discussing all things metro.
Along the lines of the original topic, the biggest plus bolstering Loudoun real estate is employment. Unemployment is low. Really low. As for job creation in the actual county, the latest BLS data has Loudoun as one of the top 10 growth counties. Same goes for Prince William.

Low unemployment and job creation equal in-migration, lots of it. I see the real estate as undervalued, particularly in Leesburg.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:42 PM

8,985 posts, read 21,201,008 times
If we are going to continue to discuss the Metro, let's get back to the relevance of how it may benefit Loudoun County as the line is expanded towards/into that area.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:44 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,512,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I don't know. Among many other factors, the planned extension of Metro to some terminus in or at least proximate to Loudoun County would certainly be relevant in some way or other to individual decisions about whether to purchase housing in that county. ...

Last edited by FindingZen; 10-03-2011 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: off-topic; report post(s) and/or contact a moderator

Old 10-04-2011, 10:00 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,584,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
No one did prior to the opening of the new terminal in 1997.
Whiskey tango foxtrot?

That simply is not true. I for one used that station to access national airport WHEN I WAS GOING from King street. I saw people get off at that station - do you think they just wanted a long walk to Crystal City? Many of them had luggage.

Yes people used it. They either did the long walk, or they took the shuttle bus.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
And the South Bronx is not the only area of NYC, but if one were parachuted into it, such that impressions of that area were your first of the metropolitan area in general, it is doubtful that they would in any way be favorable.

You might want to go to the NYC forum and learn about how the South Bronx has changed.

Anyway I dont know that has anything to do with the Silver line. The purpose of the Silver line is primarily to service commuters, not air travelers. Some of the air travelers who DO use the silver line will be folks who LIVE here, for whom it will not be their introduction to the city or to the silver line. Many others will be people who have been here before. As for those precious folks who are going to decide what DC is like based on the airport station, they will mostly get a good, standard issue aerial station. The station at National you go on about is an aerial station, and is "exposed to the elements".

This all gets down to 600 feet of moving sidewalk vs 1200 feet of moving sidewalk.

Where exactly do you think those folks are going to TAKE the metro? Are there now metro stops located under every DC hotel? At some point folks will have to GET OUT AND WALK. In our heat, in our snow, in whatever they find. And they wont have a moving sidewalk to do it on, either. Heck, depending on where they go, they may actually have to TRANSFER. That should be an intimidating experience for someone deterred by an additional 600 feet. Do you happen to know what the length of an 8 car metro train is? Yup, its 600 ft. Better not be in a position where you have to walk the length of the platform to an exit. Cause thats impossible, you know? Maybe this is why taxicabs were invented - for folks who dont like to walk. Anyone who can't deal with walking isn't going to be able to deal with metro anyway.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
How do you manage to connect any dots at all between these two quite separate strands of discussion?

It was not me who first mentioned Vienna metro in the context of Brambleton. If they are seperate, I must ask what relevance the name of the Vienna metro station is to a Loudoun County thread.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:12 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,105,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
You might want to go to the NYC forum and learn about how the South Bronx has changed.
Ah, if only Route 7 in parts of Sterling (or Tysons) looked like the Grand Concourse.

But I digress.

Last edited by JD984; 10-04-2011 at 10:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia