Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 02:35 PM

3 posts, read 2,428 times

Advertisements

Hello! My family and I are moving to the Dc area in 9 months and we need help finding out where it would be best for us to live. My husband and I lived in NOVA (Lorton) back in 2003 and thought it was a bit on the ghetto side.

This time around, we would like to live in a predominately white (or very upper middle-class) area. We are looking for somewhere safe, family-friendly,with private school options for our little girl. We are looking for a 3 bedroom condo anywhere in the $2,300 to $2,700 price range. We intend to rent initially for 6 months while we look for a place to buy, but would love to live somewhere in the aforementioned in the meantime. My husband's job is based in Mclean, so something within 30 miles would be ideal (we know how DC traffic is!)

Right now, we live a part of San Diego that is trying desperately, with no avail, to become it's own city. Thus, it is immensely suburban and has brought in various ethnicity, many of whom are of lower socioeconomic status and class. This has created low-income housing which brought our value and our community down immensely in the last 2 years.

We want to make sure we stay away from an up-and-coming area and find something that is well established and would not allow much room for redevelopment and that is, again, exclusively upper middle class. Sorry if I sound like a snob. I've lived and dealt with lower class populations (I also work with them!) for much to long and it's very upsetting when my nearly half a million dollar condo loses value because the city caters to these people. Your help is much appreciated!

Old 08-18-2011, 02:55 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,614 times
Any reason you want to move to the DC area? I'd recommend trying to finding something in Roanoke and points SW, although Virginia Tech may have too many minorities for your taste.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:03 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,406,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybrunette View Post
Hello! My family and I are moving to the Dc area in 9 months and we need help finding out where it would be best for us to live. My husband and I lived in NOVA (Lorton) back in 2003 and thought it was a bit on the ghetto side.

This time around, we would like to live in a predominately white (or very upper middle-class) area. We are looking for somewhere safe, family-friendly,with private school options for our little girl. We are looking for a 3 bedroom condo anywhere in the $2,300 to $2,700 price range. We intend to rent initially for 6 months while we look for a place to buy, but would love to live somewhere in the aforementioned in the meantime. My husband's job is based in Mclean, so something within 30 miles would be ideal (we know how DC traffic is!)

Right now, we live a part of San Diego that is trying desperately, with no avail, to become it's own city. Thus, it is immensely suburban and has brought in various ethnicity, many of whom are of lower socioeconomic status and class. This has created low-income housing which brought our value and our community down immensely in the last 2 years.

We want to make sure we stay away from an up-and-coming area and find something that is well established and would not allow much room for redevelopment and that is, again, exclusively upper middle class. Sorry if I sound like a snob. I've lived and dealt with lower class populations (I also work with them!) for much to long and it's very upsetting when my nearly half a million dollar condo loses value because the city caters to these people. Your help is much appreciated!

Nothing surprises me anymore.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:18 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybrunette View Post

creative trolling award of the month.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:47 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
The only place I know that would meet your needs would be a bit farther than 30 miles from McLean. It's called Montana.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:48 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,383,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
The only place I know that would meet your needs would be a bit farther than 30 miles from McLean. It's called Montana.
Not upper middle class enough. Don't want them cattle ranchers bringing down property values.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:04 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,613,045 times
Seriously? SERIOUSLY?

Old 08-19-2011, 06:00 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,739,696 times
LOL funny! Try Iceland.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:28 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,457,254 times
Why does the image of Groucho Marx talking about clubs keep entering my mind?

Old 08-19-2011, 07:10 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Or Vermont....but that area would be way too poor....lots of single and double wides and rusty cars in the fields!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia