Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 09:54 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,982 times

Advertisements

My child misses the kindergarten cut off date and she is disappointed she can't go to school like her neighborhood friends. She was really interested in reading, spelling, math, etc... at home but has since become bored and highly disinterested since she has realized (about a month ago) that she can't go to school yet.

In exchange I'm looking for a place (like Kumon, but not Kumon- unless people have had really great experiences there) for her to do a part-time enrichmment class. Looking for reading, writing, addition, subtraction, etc...

She has no patience or interest anymore to do these things with me at home, but she wants to do them "at school". I even tried to set up a "school" in our house, but she's not fooled...

We debated sending her to a private school to start Kindergarten early (they did test and accept her), but we can't afford it.

So anyone have good places to go for supplementing reading and math for an almost 5 yr old in the Fairfax or Chantilly area?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 11:33 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Isn't there a school with a pre-K program at a preschool that isn't so expensive? My oldest daughter has a November birthday and was in a pre-K class with other students with fall birthdays. Their class was every bit as challenging as Kindergarten was the following year in FCPS. Unfortunately, it made for a very boring Kindergarten year. But her Pre-K year was great. For five mornings a week, it was about $325 per month.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:52 PM

Well, she is in daycare twice a week, but it's pretty much all play. They sent out the "pre-k" curriculum and it was just all general stuff that she knows... and they don't do any phonics, sight words, beginning reading, math skills, etc... it's really just big-picture concepts of things and arts and crafts.
Sounds like the place you sent your child is great and not costly either. If you remember it, please tell me.

Thanks.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:07 PM

158 posts, read 379,166 times
my son did the pre-k program at Dolley Madison in Mclean. Great program! Basicly, it is a watered down Kindergarten curriculum. For kids who already completed a 4 year old program or needed an extra year to mature. It was M-F in the afternoons. Where are you located?

Old 08-29-2011, 01:29 PM

265 posts, read 952,906 times
There are many pre-schools that have Junior Kindergarten for those children that may have missed the cut-off. Some of these are 5 days of week while others may have shorter programs.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:34 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
My child went to a daycare center (MANY years ago) that offered true Pre-K. She knew how how to read by the time she entered Kindergarten and, in fact, used the same readers that the public schools were using.

I think you just need to do some more investigating.

Also, don't rule out some the religious-based pre-schools. They usually do a great job of that with the pre-K stuff. My son used them also and we were not affiliated with any particular church or religion.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:55 PM

I am located in western Chantilly, near South Riding. I'd prefer to not remove my child from her daycare though since all of her friends are there, and the change would just be for one year. Don't want too many disruptions. But perhaps I can look further and find a program that would take her once a week or so.... that's why I was hoping to find a center or place where we could go once a week and she could have some learning there as opposed to completely changing her pre-k program.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:18 AM

8 posts, read 28,210 times
A lot of preschools have Jr. Kindy so that might be an option. Kumon is good and my kids like it, but frankly, if cost is an issue, it can run almost as much as preschool (240 a month around here, if you do reading and math). If she likes her daycare, could you do a homeschool curriculum with her? There are lots of free ones/low cost online. I did that for my youngest who wasn't ready socially for school, but was ready academically.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:53 PM

123 posts, read 409,997 times
Not sure how far you are willing to drive but there is a new school in Gainesville, VA (20-25 min from S. Riding -back roads) which offers classes to home school children on a per class basis. This may be something that could work out in enrichment area.

I know how challenging it can be to have a child miss a cut off date from personal experience and how you want to find other options to support learning. I wish a place like St. Anne's was around when I was looking...

Homeschool Class Registration | A Specialized Instructional Program for Girls <br>Offering a Multi-Media Approach to the Classical Arts<br>

Went to open house for the school...PM me if interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia