Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 08:15 AM

49 posts, read 127,085 times

Advertisements

We just sold our house in Vienna and are looking for a larger house to move to. I work in Reston so know it fairly well from that perspective. We also come here on Saturdays to go to the Lake Anne Market. Because you can get a lot more house for your money here than in Vienna (let alone closer in to DC), we are considering Reston as a place to move.

We've seen a bunch of places so far in both North and south Reston, and currently our two favorites are on Upper Lake Drive and Thomas View in South Reston. Just hoping for some input from people who live in these areas as to whether this is a decent choice. We have a 4-year-old daughter and it seems at least that the elementary school is a good one, although the high school might not be as good. Walkability is definitely a higher priority for us, and of course safety and family-oriented neighborhoods.

I've read a bit on the Restonian and here that there are problems with gangs around here so that is definitely a concern, but I wonder if so far they're mostly contained in the Hunters Woods area and west?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 08:46 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,503 times
I live in South Reston near the high school and really like it (and have seen no gang activity). I don't know much about the Thomas View neighborhood but I really like the Upper Lake neighborhood which feeds into Sunrise Valley Elementary that I've heard great things about. From Upper Lake it is a short walk to the shopping center and a little longer but a nice walk to the trails at the Walker Nature Center. Also, I notice that lots of childern your daughter's age congregate at the swing set/tot lot at South Lakes and Cabots Point Lane.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...vafull/va.html

Old 08-24-2009, 09:31 AM

Thanks so much, very helpful!

Old 08-24-2009, 01:23 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,224 times
Reston is closer to DC than Vienna? Not according to maps it isn't.

Why would you sell your house in a good school district to move to a less good district just before your daughter is to begin school? Most people sell houses to move to better school districts. Just wondering...........

Old 08-24-2009, 01:45 PM

Actually, you misunderstood what I wrote. I was saying that you can get a lot more house for your money in Reston vs. in Vienna or vs. somewhere even closer in to DC. I never suggested Reston was closer. I certainly know that Vienna is closer, albeit not by much.

Anyway, as far as schools go, my daughter will initally be going to elementary school and at least according to the ratings linked by the other person replying in this thread, the school she would go to in Reston (Sunrise Valley) is ranked at #8 vs. #86 - Marshal Rd - if we stayed in Vienna. It's true that the high school in Vienna is better rated than the one in Reston, but that is ten years off, so at least we have the next 10 years to figure out what to do, and if we can get her into a magnet program at another school, or who knows even a private school by then, but that seems sufficiently far off that we have time to deal with it...

Old 08-24-2009, 03:04 PM

Oh, sorry that I misunderstood.

Yes, you can buy more house in Reston than in Vienna because it is farther out from DC and because the schools aren't as good.

Sunrise Valley, in Vienna, ranks higher than Marshall Road because it has a large GT center and the scores of those children make the whole school reflect higher test scores. Unless your child is in the GT center, all those smart kids will have nothing to do with the education that she receives in the general ed section of the school. Marshall road sends so many kids to the GT center at Louise Archer every year, 15 or more, so their scores get lowered. Now that Marshall Road has its own GT center classes, and now keeping many of the smart kids, their test scores will rise.

Demographics drive test scores. Richer areas have higher test scores. Rich people are generally smarter and better educated. They tend to produce smarter kids. It's something about the genes. Maybe the t-shirts too. But it's not catching. If your kid has smart parents, she'll be smart too. If you care about education, she'll be educated too. I am not saying that peers don't matter, but genes and family culture matter far more.

I am sure that you knew all of that prior to deciding to move. I'm sure that you had other reasons for moving. Good luck in your house hunting. Moving isn't fun, but house hunting is.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:07 PM

BTW, what magnet high schools are available in FCPS? Or did you mean TJHSST?

I would say that you have 7 years to decide where to send your daughter to middle school since Hughes is not a good school. I've heard that it's even worse than South Lakes because there are no dropouts in middle schools, all the loser kids have to still be in school.

But you do have many options among the private schools. Many parents in Reston go that route.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:37 PM

Wow, I guess I really disagree with you about genetics. I do think there are issues with economically disadvantaged groups and a culture of poverty, etc., but I think it's verging on racism to say this has to do with genetics. Anyway, that's another discussion entirely.

As for Sunrise Valley, I thought I read you saying something in another thread about how the principle had suggested their GT students wouldn't get anything additional that their regular students don't. So I guess I'm confused - if you are saying the GT students will not excel despite this "disadvantage" than why are we also saying they are the only reason that the test scores for this school are as high as they are?

Yes, Hughes does not look all that great right now, however at least according to report card that I was looking at online, it appears that things have improved a lot just over the last two years, but then maybe I'm not looking at the statistics correctly. I'm pretty new to all this school testing. We've had our daughter in an amazing private preschool these last two years and she will be in it again this year. Maybe in 7 (or 10) years by the time she's ready for middle or high school, we'll be at a financial point where we can afford private school again.

As far as magnet schools, I don't really know. As I said, I'm not very educated on the school system here, so if you can recommend a reference for one (other than these boards) that would be appreciated! I thought I had heard that Hunters Woods was a magnet school...

Old 08-24-2009, 04:50 PM

132 posts, read 324,241 times
dvdmon,

Reston is a fine place to raise your kid. 20 some swimming pools for you to choose in the summer. A good swim league too. If your kid are into figure skating/hockey, Reston skatequest is less than 2 miles away. I know many Mclean/Vienna drive their kids to Reston for skating. Not to mention the lakes, walking trails and wild life habitats.

If you drive to DC, Reston is no further out than most of Vienna. When silver line comes in 2013, you will have metro access. Reston town center just looks much better to me than the strip malls in Vienna.

Sunrise Valley is a good school. There are many other GT center schools that don't score as high, which tells you the general ed is not bad at all.

Rich people are smarter? Paris Hilton, Bernie Madof, and the Wall street sub prime geniuses all lived a rich life.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:55 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Two words: Paris Hilton.

Back closer to topic... there are many here who might say that determining the difference between the quality of schools in Fairfax County is like splitting hairs as the "worst" schools are likely better than most elsewhere in the country.

I don't know much about what's happening on the elementary school level in Reston. There has been some concern about students being redistributed to South Lakes High School because of lower test scores and other concerns/assumptions about the socioeconomic makeup of the community. FWIW, I feel that motivated students with involved parents will succeed in any Fairfax County public school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia