Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 06:19 PM

5 posts, read 6,747 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of applying for a job with USPS that is located in Dulles. The workplace is located in 20104. I'd be looking to rent a studio or one br apartment, can anyone give me an idea of places to look for living that won't break the bank? I know it will be somewhat expensive but any tips would be appreciated. I may bring one of our dogs with me, (my boyfriend is still looking for new employment so will be in Louisville still for the time being). Any dog friendly info would be great too! Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 07:24 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michele502 View Post
I'm in the process of applying for a job with USPS that is located in Dulles. The workplace is located in 20104. I'd be looking to rent a studio or one br apartment, can anyone give me an idea of places to look for living that won't break the bank? I know it will be somewhat expensive but any tips would be appreciated. I may bring one of our dogs with me, (my boyfriend is still looking for new employment so will be in Louisville still for the time being). Any dog friendly info would be great too! Thank you!!!
I actually moved from Northern VA (where Dulles is) to Louisville last year. Two TOTALLY different worlds.

As far as what you will need to survive there. Expect at LEAST $1100 for a decent one bedroom there (contrast I pay $400 for my 1 bed here). Places to look, not my area of expertise since I lived closer to DC (Alexandria far from Dulles) but I see Chantilly Herndon and Reston closeby which fortuantely are the "cheaper" parts of NoVA. If you do go, good luck in NoVA. You will need it. Trust me.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:04 PM

147 posts, read 255,284 times
Alanboy is correct. It is very expensive here.
Is your job going to be down at the airport? If so then as he mentioned Reston and Herndon are pretty close. Also you could go West from there and check in Loudoun Cnty (Ashburn, Leesburg).
I hope if you get the job they are going to pay you well.
I just looked up Louisville Kentucky median household income (Jefferson County right?) - $44,516
Then i looked up the median household income for Fairfax county (right near Dulles) $102,325.
I don't know about dogs but I guess there will be some sort of deposit. There are a ton of new places though it seems - especially when I drive towards Loudoun. Speaking of driving... expect to do a lot of driving in this area.
Good luck - it is a nice place - just expensive and somewhat hectic.
On the bright side if the USPS doesn't pan out their are plenty of other jobs here.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjankis630 View Post
Alanboy is correct. It is very expensive here.
Is your job going to be down at the airport? If so then as he mentioned Reston and Herndon are pretty close. Also you could go West from there and check in Loudoun Cnty (Ashburn, Leesburg).
I hope if you get the job they are going to pay you well.
I just looked up Louisville Kentucky median household income (Jefferson County right?) - $44,516
Then i looked up the median household income for Fairfax county (right near Dulles) $102,325.
I don't know about dogs but I guess there will be some sort of deposit. There are a ton of new places though it seems - especially when I drive towards Loudoun. Speaking of driving... expect to do a lot of driving in this area.
Good luck - it is a nice place - just expensive and somewhat hectic.
On the bright side if the USPS doesn't pan out their are plenty of other jobs here.
Actually per their zip code 40299 (Jeffersontown, KY; technically Jefferson County/Louisville, KY) median is $51,999. Don't mean to nitpick but it's a slow night.

Also speaking of driving expect to take longer to get to somewhere; traffic is HORRID there. You will be begging to have the Gene Synder or I-64 around the Highlands back.

NoVA is just a place. It isn't for everyone but most make it work somehow, others decide it ain't for them (like I did.)

Old 09-02-2011, 06:21 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,963,506 times
Quote:
Getting back to your original question and away from personal exchanges, near by areas would be in 20164, 20165, 20166, 20170 and these would have the most reasonably priced areas with the shortest commute. You may luck out and find a basement apartment rental, these are usually the lowest priced. You didn't state your salary so I don't know your financial situation. Go to Homes for Sale and Rent in DC, Maryland, Virginia | HomesDatabase.com, start out with zip 20166, (20104 is within that zip) and use the map feature to expand from there. Only sign a 1 year or shorter lease until you get to know the area.

I have lived in this area since 1992 (20165) and really like the Sterling area. Life anywhere is what you make of it. Good luck, I don't handle rentals but I am happy to help you with any questions you may have.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:13 AM

Oh believe me, I know it's expensive. I will be (hopefully making over 100K, (this will include a 25% increase for housing). I won't be moving unless I get the job at a rate where it would be worth it for me.

My house in Jeffersontown is 174,000 and I pay 1300 a month. This is for a 4 br house. I know I wont be finding that in NOVA. I commute 41 miles one way for my current job in Frankfort. I'm just looking for an area that is somewhat decent that will not put me in an over-the-top commute and wont break the bank, (completely). Obviously I will have to rent for the time being until my boyfriend makes it out.

I've put my self into contact with the alum chapter of my sorority to hopefully get some leads on a rental property.

So, for chit chat sake, it is hard to commute from Maryland in Dulles for work?

Old 09-08-2011, 10:30 AM

227 posts, read 399,074 times
Quote:
You will be technically almost in Ashburn.

20104 is next to AOL campus, mostly used by other gov. contractors these days. I know the facility.

Easiest commute to 20104 would be from Herndon and Ashburn.

I would not commute to that area from Maryland, as reverse traffic is bad due to 495 construction of metro and HOT lanes.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:33 AM

227 posts, read 399,074 times
You could even consider South Riding....that will put you out maybe 15-20 minutes.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Oh believe me, I know it's expensive. I will be (hopefully making over 100K, (this will include a 25% increase for housing). I won't be moving unless I get the job at a rate where it would be worth it for me.

My house in Jeffersontown is 174,000 and I pay 1300 a month. This is for a 4 br house. I know I wont be finding that in NOVA. I commute 41 miles one way for my current job in Frankfort. I'm just looking for an area that is somewhat decent that will not put me in an over-the-top commute and wont break the bank, (completely). Obviously I will have to rent for the time being until my boyfriend makes it out.

I've put my self into contact with the alum chapter of my sorority to hopefully get some leads on a rental property.

So, for chit chat sake, it is hard to commute from Maryland in Dulles for work?
Moderator Cut

To answer your question, I would definitely NOT advise commuting from Maryland to Dulles for work. Anything you save on rent will be made up with commuting headache and gas. Trust me I commuted from Hardin County (Vine Grove) to Preston Hwy.

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-11-2011 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: best to leave well enough alone at this point...

Old 09-10-2011, 08:19 PM

Thank you for all the info, lots to think about! I fly out next Sunday.... Let's see if I get an offer before I do anymore planning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia