Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 08:04 AM

63 posts, read 244,693 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the area and was wondering what Virginia Tech's academic reputation was? I know UVA is highly regarded, but how about Virginia Tech? What areas are they known for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 08:22 AM

110 posts, read 272,554 times
Fairly solid reputation. Definitely not in the same league as UVA. They're big on business/marketing, like any state school, but they are also well known for engineering.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:53 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,955,204 times
There are so many VT grads in the area; a degree from there is valuable for that reason alone. The academics aren't as rigorous as UVA, but for networking purposes I think a VT degree is still quite valuable in this area.

If you want a job somewhere else in the country after graduation though, I doubt the name has nearly the power outside of Virginia.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:57 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,320,602 times
VT is a good school. Fantastic engineering program.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:03 AM

738 posts, read 2,959,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finini01 View Post
Fairly solid reputation. Definitely not in the same league as UVA. They're big on business/marketing, like any state school, but they are also well known for engineering.
I think you've got that backwards... Virginia Tech is very well known for it's engineering programs, both undergrad and grad. It's ranked in the top 15 in the nation in most engineering disciplines, and is highly regarded for that.

The business school, I believe, is ranked in the Top 40-50.

UVA is well known and highly ranked for it's business and law programs, while VT is well known and highly ranked for it's engineering programs (UVA still ranks around 30 in engineering, so they're aren't bad at it either)

Old 01-18-2011, 09:04 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,794,567 times
I'd give my right arm to have gotten into VA Tech. Well respected locally and has a reputation outside of VA.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:05 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,681,741 times
Great reputation in Virginia. Not easy admit standards coming out of high school. My coworker's daughter was just waitlisted with a 3.7 GPA (and, yes, excellent SATs).

Old 01-18-2011, 10:11 AM

63 posts, read 244,693 times
Thanks for the input guys.

I wanted to get a feel for the university's reputation as a whole and I know that VT has a pretty solid rep, just wanted to hear from the locals.

Here is my current dilemma. I live in NoVA and work for the feds and am thinking about doing my MBA part time. The two MBA programs that have caught my eye are VT at the West Falls Church location and Johns Hopkins program in DC.

I have my own pros/cons list, but what are your thoughts? Hopkins vs VA Tech MBA?

Old 01-18-2011, 01:24 PM

8,984 posts, read 21,190,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie86 View Post
Thanks for the input guys.

I wanted to get a feel for the university's reputation as a whole and I know that VT has a pretty solid rep, just wanted to hear from the locals.

Here is my current dilemma. I live in NoVA and work for the feds and am thinking about doing my MBA part time. The two MBA programs that have caught my eye are VT at the West Falls Church location and Johns Hopkins program in DC.

I have my own pros/cons list, but what are your thoughts? Hopkins vs VA Tech MBA?
Considering you're talking about a competitive in-state school vs. an even more competitive private school, I'd go with the former. IMO with so many MBAs and other graduate degree students out there these days, finding a balance between cost and reputation is key. Now if you were considering, say, a George Mason MBA - no offense meant to any Patriots - then I'd say go for Johns Hopkins. Of course, that is just my layman's opinion; I'm not a college counselor, I just play one on City-Data.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:27 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,955,204 times
I don't think there's any real difference in that tier of MBA programs. Especially if you want to continue working for the feds--then just go where it's cheapest, as they don't care where the degree is from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia