Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2007, 10:46 PM

495 posts, read 1,078,216 times

Advertisements

I've lived in two places for my adult life so far - Raleigh/Durham, NC in a 2br/2ba apartment ($950/mo) on a nature preserve (with the sound of crickets and bullfrogs in a pond), and a Silicon Valley, CA apartment (surrounded by woods, nicely landscaped and quiet, $1600/month).

I'm looking for somewhere in NOVA where I can rent a high-quality 2br/2ba apartment for <$2000/mo that is in a fairly quiet location (e.g. at least buffered by some trees from traffic noise), with very low crime, that has somewhat of a verdant setting. Does ANYTHING within a reasonable commute time of downtown D.C. (I'll leave it up to your discretion to define "reasonable), either driving all the way or doing a drive/metro combo., fit the bill?

e.g. this apartment? Harbor Park in Reston, VA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 04:07 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
There are a lot of such places, and for up to $2K, you can get into most of them. As for a rough guide to commute times to downtown, if you were inside the Beltway, you'd likely be under an hour, door-to-door, and as you move outside the Beltway, you need to add onto that a little.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:57 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,395,579 times
While the DC area is expensive, $2000/month is quite the nice chunk of change to have for rent, and will pretty much open up all the gates to you. If commuting isn't your thing, in spite of it's bustling reputation, there are actually very serene and residential portions of Arlington, largely towards the northern section closest to McLean, that is very quiet, low crime and even woodsy in parts, and you're only a short drive from DC and would be able to commute via car or Metro, likely in under 30 minutes (depending on specific locations of course). Your linked choice in Reston would fit the bill as well, but the commute would be far greater. I guess really it's just a matter of determining your commuting tolerance, and of determining what sort of environment you're looking for nearby (i.e. a secluded apartment building but close to retail and nightlife?). You've got a wide range of options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: