Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 11:49 AM

49 posts, read 138,277 times

Advertisements

My daughter adores her 1st grade teacher. Whenever we see her, we make sure to let her know how appreciative we are of all her efforts.

We'd like to give her a giftcard (or other gift) to show our appreciation of her hard work. In addition to being great with all the kids, she uses her own money to buy books, etc. for her students.

We were considering getting a gift card to Target in the amount of $20-$40...tho I wouldn't hesitate to give her much more. I realize that there is an amount that's too high..an amount that may leave her feeling uncomfortable or leave her feeling obligated to give our child preferential treatment. We absolutely don't want that.

All that said, what is an "ideal" gift or an ideal giftcard amount for a 1st grade teacher?

Thanks, in advance, for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 11:55 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
$15 - $20 is a good amount for a teacher gift. I probably wouldn't go higher than $25.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:15 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
$15 - $20 is a good amount for a teacher gift. I probably wouldn't go higher than $25.
I agree with Christine on the amount. The teachers I work with love to shop at Barnes and Noble so maybe a giftcard from there would be something to consider. Although, Target is a favorite as well.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:26 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,824 times
I wouldn't go more than $20... I only spent $12.50 each on my kids pre-K teachers. (I have twins, there are 2 teachers in the room)...and that was just on Yankee Candles. (They had a sale, got cheap) And my kids want to make them a drawing.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:57 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,474,340 times
$20 is a perfect gift card amount. It shows you care and appreciate what she does without going over the top.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:09 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,466,823 times
I don't agree with the amount specified by the posters. For that matter, I don't think anybody should be able to specify an amount for someone else. If the teacher is level-headed, she will have the common sense to understand that the gift is merely an appreciation of her job and not a bribe to give your child preferential treatment.

You should gift what you are comfortable giving. You should gift what you can afford. I give my maids much more than $20 so I am obviously spending a lot more than that on a Christmas present for my son's teacher. I point this out just to make a point that every person has a different idea of what's a reasonable expense for gifting.

If the teacher is uncomfortable with your gift, she will let you know. After all, being honest and truthful is what she teaches the kids. Why should this experience be any different?

Just my $0.02.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:09 PM

722 posts, read 1,923,494 times
I usually do about $20 per teacher.

Some classes will do a collection for a group gift. I'm currently the "class mom" for one of my kids classes...the PTO told us class moms that we can't ask for more than $5 per student, but if parents send in a little extra anyway, that's ok.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:28 PM

298 posts, read 680,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
I don't think anybody should be able to specify an amount for someone else. [...] You should gift what you are comfortable giving. You should gift what you can afford. I give my maids much more than $20 so I am obviously spending a lot more than that on a Christmas present for my son's teacher. I point this out just to make a point that every person has a different idea of what's a reasonable expense for gifting.
I hear you, but it's fair to ask what others think is reasonable. What I'm comfortable giving is going to be based, in part, by what other people are giving. I suppose a person could quarrel with whether this is fair or not, but I suspect it's a pretty common sentiment.

I may wonder how much to tip people who park my car or carry my bags to my hotel room, for example. Without having some idea of what people normally tip, it's hard for me to be comfortable with any amount. Someone who hasn't given a lot of gifts to teachers would be in the same position.

FWIW, we give our housekeepers $100 each at Christmas. We give our kids' teachers a lot less -- $25 gift cards to Target.

And to go a bit OT, does anyone here give a Christmas "bonus" to their postal carrier? Or to their garbage men? We don't, but I've often wondered if we should. I'm pretty sure my parents, back in the day, used to give the mailman and garbageman Christmas tips.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:52 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
Wow, are we tipping teachers now? I would think this would be against the rules, if not against the law. How is a teacher supposed to be objective if he/she is getting gifts from some parents and not others? And doesn't that put the less affluent kids at a disadvantage? I'm not saying teachers will be consciously biased by a giftcard, but how would one not feel slightly awkward in, say, giving a bad grade to a kid whose parents you'd felt had been extra nice to you? Or disciplining the kid?

I know it's intended as generosity, but it just seems sort of unctuous to me. And from the teacher's perspective, doesn't it put them on the same level as a maid or hairdresser?

That said, maybe if bellasdad can get some of the other parents to contribute anonymously to the teacher's book-buying fund, that would be a big help to the teacher and avoid any image of impropriety.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:07 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Wow, are we tipping teachers now? I would think this would be against the rules, if not against the law. How is a teacher supposed to be objective if he/she is getting gifts from some parents and not others? And doesn't that put the less affluent kids at a disadvantage? I'm not saying teachers will be consciously biased by a giftcard, but how would one not feel slightly awkward in, say, giving a bad grade to a kid whose parents you'd felt had been extra nice to you? Or disciplining the kid?

I know it's intended as generosity, but it just seems sort of unctuous to me. And from the teacher's perspective, doesn't it put them on the same level as a maid or hairdresser?

That said, maybe if bellasdad can get some of the other parents to contribute anonymously to the teacher's book-buying fund, that would be a big help to the teacher and avoid any image of impropriety.
I actually feel somewhat as you do.

When my kids were in daycare, I definitely bought gift cards for the daycare teachers. Those women were seriously underpaid IMO. At the elementary level, I much preferred to donate to a group gift and that's what we did 99% of the time. The only time I ventured out of that was in a private school where the teacher spent a lot of her own money buying some books for her class. To show my appreciation, I contributed to the group gift ($5) but also gave her a $20 gift card to the local bookstore.

I don't look at it as "tipping" the teachers. At the elementary school level, kids really grow very fond of their teachers and they usually really enjoy giving them a gift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia