Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 02:56 PM

20 posts, read 43,431 times

Advertisements

I have been reading many posts and searching the following areas: Woodbridge, Lake Ridge, Fort Belvior, Bolling, Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria and the more searching I do the more stressed I feel.

I am concerned about good schools for my 5 year old son, I am worried about the commute because if it is too long I am looking at before and after school program as well as maybe a nanny to fill the in between time.

I have read about slugging (Woodbridge, Lake Ridge), is that safe? I have researched the WMATA site and anything over 40 minutes (Fairfax) makes me say wow. Please, I need your ideas and experience as I am coming from southern NM (culture shock). I can pay up to $2500 in rent. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 03:23 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,404,043 times
Definitely consider Springfield/West Springfield. There are several comfortable, safe and convenient neighborhoods around Rolling Road/Old Keene Mill Road with good schools and places in your price range. The advantage to this area is that there are several good bus routes along Old Keene Mill Road--one goes straight to the Pentagon, another goes to the Franconia-Springfield Metro/Blue Line, which goes to the Pentagon. If I remember correctly, the bus routes are H, R, and S. There are also plenty of people who slug to work along Huntsman Blvd. in the Orange Hunt neighborhood. My husband used to wait at the curb for the bus, and someone would come along and give him a ride to the Pentagon. That took some getting used to.

We used to rent a house in this area (also military/moved away last summer), and I think it would be a comfortable place for you. There are some pleasant townhomes and apartments near Cardinal Forest Elementary in West Springfield. Hope you find a place that works well for you!

Old 02-09-2012, 03:29 PM

20 posts, read 43,431 times
Thank you, that helps.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:42 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,653,338 times
I agree. Go with the Springfield area and use public transportation to make use of the HOV lanes, which will be VERY quick. Schools are good.

I come from Woodbridge and carpool so my commute up to DC is very quick also; however, I always advise to stay as close to work as you can afford with making yourself poor.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,127 times
Hi! I'm in the same boat as you! Short notice assignment to the Pentagon, two kids and single... I've been looking on militarybyowner.com I'm trying to find something with a short commute as well. Also trying to find an elementary school that has a before and after program. I'm getting grayer and grayer by the minute

Old 02-09-2012, 07:51 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
I feel for you moms, wish Alex. City schools were rated better as I do like where we live. Best of luck.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:13 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,486 times
Regarding childcare, there is a CDC at the Pentagon and Ft Myer with busing to some schools.

You may want to try South or Central Arlington. Once you get away from the metro lines or North Arlington, the rents get reasonably affordable. The only area I'd advise not living in is Buckingham.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:54 PM

518 posts, read 1,450,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Regarding childcare, there is a CDC at the Pentagon and Ft Myer with busing to some schools.

You may want to try South or Central Arlington. Once you get away from the metro lines or North Arlington, the rents get reasonably affordable. The only area I'd advise not living in is Buckingham.
The Buckingham neighborhood in Arlington is not what it used to be 10-15 years ago. The Ballston Park garden apartments are managed by Paradigm, which also manages many of the high-end high rises throughout N Arlington. Ballston Park is the eastern half of what some people call Buckingham Village. The garden apartments on the west side of N Glebe Rd are home to a mix of professionals and low income residents. And about 150 town homes that are selling for about $1 million up form the other part of the redeveloped Buckingham neighborhood. The Ballston Metro station is about a 10 minute walk. It is a safe neighborhood and the schools are good, although there are more low income students than in West Springfield. West Springfield is more typically suburban.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:01 PM

518 posts, read 1,450,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post

I would not say Central Arlington which often confuses people because it does't exist. There is North Arlington (north of rt. 50) and South Arlington (south of rt. 50).

Smoke Jaguar is referring to the many apartment options along the Metro Orange line in North Arlington. The further away from the stations you go, the lower the rents. Close to the Metro, studio apartments can be about $1,500 a month.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:38 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,725,658 times
You will most definitly need B/A care. The School Age Child Care program (SACC) in Fairfax is nice, but there is usually a waiting list. So a daycare program with transport is the only other option.

Also another issue is choosing a school that has an all day KG. Daycare costs are a little cheaper that way. I know FFC was trying to make them all that way, but not sure if it has been completely implemented.

And another kicker - FFC elementary schools have early dismissal every single Monday. And the start times vary greatly around here. My daughters school starts at 9:12, off at 4:00.

And as you might have seen posted - the sticker shock of daycare is going to happen. I had mine at a base CDC - almost tripled the daycare costs, and we were paying the highest rate at the CDC.

Welcome to NOVA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia