Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 10:17 PM

49 posts, read 77,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmycat5 View Post
Is there a parking lot near the Pentagon? Is it normal to go to the Pentagon as the driver instead of the passenger?
Parking is available if you are stationed at the pentagon....it's a long, cold walk to the bldg though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 06:41 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,737,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrmike View Post
Parking is available if you are stationed at the pentagon....it's a long, cold walk to the bldg though.
True there is parking, but not everyone gets a parking permit. And if you do it might be the dreaded north parking lot.

Metro is the best option with a kid (outside of driving).

Have you confirmed that you will actually be located at the Pentagon and not in Mark Center or another office complex like Crystal City.

Another thing in favor of the area around West Springfield/Burke/Kingstowne area other than being close to the metro is access to Fort Belvoir. That is where the hospital and commisary/PX are. If you are live near there then that is your servicing hospital for your dependants (no matter your branch of service). It is the newest hospital in the military and is quite nice. The whole post is currently under construction or so it would seem, gearing up for more people, with road widenings, better gates etc. I think they are also building a new Comm/PX complex, right behind the old one.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:20 AM

230 posts, read 759,111 times
Quote:
Whew...that gives me a lot to think about. Basically I need to fins the school first and house nearby in the zone that also offers a nice commute. Full day KG is a must
FYI - Apparently as of September 2011 ALL Fairfax County elementary schools now have all-day kindergarten classes. I read this in an article on the Fairfax County's school system main web site in an article regarding the FY 2012 budget. It stated that the remaining 36 elementary schools (ones that have not already changed over) would have all-day kindergarten classes as of September 2011. I assume this information is correct and the change was implemented.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:25 AM

9,782 posts, read 15,824,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVMYDACH View Post
FYI - Apparently as of September 2011 ALL Fairfax County elementary schools now have all-day kindergarten classes. I read this in an article on the Fairfax County's school system main web site in an article regarding the FY 2012 budget. It stated that the remaining 36 elementary schools (ones that have not already changed over) would have all-day kindergarten classes as of September 2011. I assume this information is correct and the change was implemented.
Yes, ALL Fairfax County schools have full-day Kindergarten as of the 2011-2012 school year.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:13 PM

20 posts, read 43,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
True there is parking, but not everyone gets a parking permit. And if you do it might be the dreaded north parking lot.

Metro is the best option with a kid (outside of driving).

Have you confirmed that you will actually be located at the Pentagon and not in Mark Center or another office complex like Crystal City.

Another thing in favor of the area around West Springfield/Burke/Kingstowne area other than being close to the metro is access to Fort Belvoir. That is where the hospital and commisary/PX are. If you are live near there then that is your servicing hospital for your dependants (no matter your branch of service). It is the newest hospital in the military and is quite nice. The whole post is currently under construction or so it would seem, gearing up for more people, with road widenings, better gates etc. I think they are also building a new Comm/PX complex, right behind the old one.
Yes, I will be at the Pentagon. I thought about living on Belvoir and I heard the commute is from Lorton but that can still take some time. I heard the schools are iffy on Belvoir (over crowded) and the one that also takes Belvoir kids. I will visit in April and try the commute from a few locations. THe plus of Belvoir is the Youth program before and after school but I'm concerned that eith the commute. I would still need coverage. THe pictures of the Fort are nice so it is on the list depending on commute and schools.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVMYDACH View Post
Thank you, this is very good info.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:15 PM

982 posts, read 3,491,388 times
The easiest commute would be from Arlington or Alexandria, but you'd probably end up in an apartment or condo because housing is pretty expensive in those areas. Lorton/Ft. Belvoir are not too bad of a commute and housing isn't as expensive. If you go further south into Woodbridge/Dumfries, the commute is far worse but housing is a lot more affordable. As far as "safety" is concerned, your best bet is to contact the local police for the area you'd like to live in. They have the most accurate information...I am a single mom also and I'd rather hear whether a place is safe or not from the horse's mouth. People can tell you what they think or what they heard, but that doesn't mean your experience will be the same. You shouldn't want to make a life decision based on the opinions of strangers.

Quote:
I have been reading many posts and searching the following areas: Woodbridge, Lake Ridge, Fort Belvior, Bolling, Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria and the more searching I do the more stressed I feel.

I am concerned about good schools for my 5 year old son, I am worried about the commute because if it is too long I am looking at before and after school program as well as maybe a nanny to fill the in between time.

I have read about slugging (Woodbridge, Lake Ridge), is that safe? I have researched the WMATA site and anything over 40 minutes (Fairfax) makes me say wow. Please, I need your ideas and experience as I am coming from southern NM (culture shock). I can pay up to $2500 in rent. Thank you

Old 02-13-2012, 04:21 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,125,287 times
I'd suggest west springfield in the old keene and rolling road road area. Schools are great and after school caretakers are numerous. Commute via metro (springfield station) or vre (rollingroad station). traffic anywhere near belvoir, even reverse commuting will be rough. They also give housing priority to those assigned to belvoir. Rent will be between $2200and $2500. Metro will allow you to leave early if an emergency crops up. Challenge will be the job. The commute will take an hour between your front door and sitting at your desk in the pentagon. Combined with an eight hour day, your going to need a quality caretaker.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:04 PM

[quote=Tish Thompson;22958236]The easiest commute would be from Arlington or Alexandria, but you'd probably end up in an apartment or condo because housing is pretty expensive in those areas. Lorton/Ft. Belvoir are not too bad of a commute and housing isn't as expensive. If you go further south into Woodbridge/Dumfries, the commute is far worse but housing is a lot more affordable. As far as "safety" is concerned, your best bet is to contact the local police for the area you'd like to live in. They have the most accurate information...quote]

I like what I've seen in Arlington and Alexandria and I am willing to get creative with space like getting a 2 bedroom with a loft or sunroom space. We don't need much but time with my child is key and I don't want the commute to eat that up. I will check the police department for both of those areas, thanks for the suggestion.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
I'd suggest west springfield in the old keene and rolling road road area. Schools are great and after school caretakers are numerous. Commute via metro (springfield station) or vre (rollingroad station). traffic anywhere near belvoir, even reverse commuting will be rough. They also give housing priority to those assigned to belvoir. Rent will be between $2200and $2500. Metro will allow you to leave early if an emergency crops up. Challenge will be the job. The commute will take an hour between your front door and sitting at your desk in the pentagon. Combined with an eight hour day, your going to need a quality caretaker.
I think I will opt for closer, if I go to Belvior the rent will still be more than $2500 since its my BAH and then I would have to deal with the commute. I think once I see the area and try the commute a few times I will have a better clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia