Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 02:18 PM

9 posts, read 24,603 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in the job market. I've been to a few staffing agencies in DC and I've been told that I'm not qualified to do administrative work because I've never worked behind a desk. I've been in sales and training/education since I graduated college so I technically don't have the skills employers look for in an admin position (I do, but I have them doing the work for myself because I managed my own territory and created my own schedule, which they've explained doesn't cut it -it has to be doing the work for others). I'd like to stay in my current field since I have the experience, but I'd also like income. While admin doesn't pay enough to rent anything besides a cardboard box in the NOVA area, something is better than nothing at this point.

Does anyone know of any REPUTABLE (these seem to be hard to find) recruiters/staffing agencies in the NOVA area? Preferably ones that recruit for something beyond admin and might recruit for my field of experience? I'm finding a lot of IT recruiters or admin only recruiters, but none that recruit for anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 02:22 PM

4,900 posts, read 7,458,442 times
Have you tried Kelly Services? They worked wonderfully for my daughter.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:25 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,334,775 times
Have you tried indeed.com .

Old 02-27-2012, 02:43 PM

9 posts, read 24,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
Have you tried indeed.com .
Ya. I've found Indeed, SimplyHired, and LinkedIn to be the best for the job search.

I contacted Kelly Services last week but no one has returned my call. Do they have a specific way they work? Like should I contact someone directly or should I mass mail all their recruiters my resume? They have so many divisions, I'm not sure if they communicate with each other. So many just never call back.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:15 PM

4,900 posts, read 7,458,442 times
My daughter just took her resume to one of the offices in Fairfax. They asked her for a mileage radius that she would accept jobs. She had two temp assignments and accepted a job offer within about 5 or 6 weeks.

good luck.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:18 PM

727 posts, read 1,534,845 times
Check out AppleOne. I went to them after I graduated and they got me into a job rather quickly. I went to school to be a teacher, but they got me into a customer operations position.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:48 AM

6,567 posts, read 8,413,334 times
When I first moved to the area, I tried Keepers. They will have you come to their office each morning (and have you work on MS Office tutorials) and you will be on call for an assignment. If they don't receive a request for a temp by 10:00 or 10:30, they will allow you to leave for the day. While you're filling temp positions they will try to find a permanent position for you.

I didn't particulary care for the way they did business because I did not have the option to turn down an assignment for any reason. If you did, they would cut you off.

I switched to Curzon Staffing in Old Town Alexandria. I could stay home and they would call me each morning with a temp assignment (and I had the option to turn it down). They arranged for two interviews for a temp-to-hire position. At the second place I interviewed, I was hired permanently (they opted to skip the temp part). I highly recommend Curzon Staffing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia