Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 06:54 PM

29 posts, read 43,063 times

Advertisements

Currently, I rent a bedroom in a 2br/2ba condo in Tysons Corner. My rent is around $875 which includes all utilities...which is pretty descent for the area like this. I work in NW DC and my commute from Tysons to DC is about 1hr. My employer pays for the parking and metro as long as I am using the public transportation.

I like the McLean side of Tysons corner where I live because it's very quiet, it's at about 5 to 10 minutes driving distance to the gym, groceries, Tysons 1 (AMC theatre), good restaurants and some bar options, and the west falls church station (4700 parking garage!). On top of that it does not feel like living in a big city like DC or arlington. There are many trees in the area, open areas and some public parks.

So everything is pretty sweet...nothing to complaint about.

I am eventually looking to have a place of my own and it seems like the right time to start looking since I dont have any outstanding loans or any major expenses (other than those DC restaurants and bars I am invited to every week where the bills run 75$ per person).

Unfortunately I dont have a whole lot saved in cash and my take home salary is merely 4k.

I am hoping to find something in NoVa for under 300k that has 2br/2ba without making huge sacrifices my current lifestyle (except having a roommate, of course) and easy commute to work. It will also be an investment, so definitely looking for something that will have a good resale value down the line.

Is it even possible? What options do I have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 09:33 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Have you spoken with a lender to find out what you qualify for?

My own situation, I financed approximately $270k and my monthly mortgage is slightly more than $1800.

I don't think you will be able to buy for what you're paying now. Keep in mind, a condo will have association fees as well.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:22 AM

448 posts, read 870,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyavaNoVa View Post
Currently, I rent a bedroom in a 2br/2ba condo in Tysons Corner. My rent is around $875 which includes all utilities...which is pretty descent for the area like this. I work in NW DC and my commute from Tysons to DC is about 1hr. My employer pays for the parking and metro as long as I am using the public transportation.
WOW! That is an amazing deal for any place in the DC area, but particularly McLean.

Quote:
I am hoping to find something in NoVa for under 300k that has 2br/2ba without making huge sacrifices my current lifestyle (except having a roommate, of course) and easy commute to work. It will also be an investment, so definitely looking for something that will have a good resale value down the line.

Is it even possible? What options do I have?
I don't see that being possible unless you find an amazing deal on a foreclosure.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:58 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,725,690 times
Quote:
Currently, I rent a bedroom in a 2br/2ba condo in Tysons Corner. My rent is around $875 which includes all utilities...which is pretty descent for the area like this.
So are you seeking to pay $875 a month in housing or $875 times 2 = $1750 a month in housing (including utilities)?

Old 03-04-2012, 07:39 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Sorry for not being clear. I am definitely not looking to buy for what my rent is right now. (I will edit my OP).

I have been approved for 300K (includes downpayment amount) and I am willing to use all of it. The lender tells me that my monthly payment will be about 2k (including PMI, and taxes). If I add condo fee and other utilities, the total is going to be 2500$. I will be confortable paying that kind of money for a 2br/2ba place as long as I can rent out the second bedroom for 800-900$.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:48 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
There are a couple townhouses near me in Burke hovering in the $300k range. You could walk to the Rolling Rd VRE and take that downtown, depending on where you work. It would give you 3 bedrooms, so you could rent 1 or 2 out if you needed to.

I'm not sure how easily you could rent out rooms in Burke compared to Tysons though--I think you'd have better luck where you are currently.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:02 AM

214 posts, read 488,092 times
If it was me, I would want to make sure I could afford the mortgage without counting on the rental income from the extra bedroom. You could try saving the difference between a $2500 mortgage and your current rent for a few months and seeing how tight it is.

You have an amazing deal on rent right now--have you been able to save a lot with paying so little?

Old 03-04-2012, 08:09 AM

49 posts, read 138,300 times
Quote:
Unfortunately I dont have a whole lot saved in cash and my take home salary is merely 4k.

Is this amount your take home amount biweekly or per month?

Old 03-04-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmama2dallas View Post
If it was me, I would want to make sure I could afford the mortgage without counting on the rental income from the extra bedroom. You could try saving the difference between a $2500 mortgage and your current rent for a few months and seeing how tight it is.

You have an amazing deal on rent right now--have you been able to save a lot with paying so little?
No doubt that I have a great rental situation. I was able to save because of that. Unfortunately I have invested most of the cash somewhere else. I have only about 15k to spare for downpayment right now.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasdad View Post
Is this amount your take home amount biweekly or per month?

Biweekly?! I wish! . That's the take home amount every month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia