Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for Phase 2 of the silver line coming to Loudoun?
Yes 39 75.00%
No 13 25.00%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 09:25 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,557,786 times

Advertisements

It depends on how they address the cost allocation to the toll road. Many of us won't have a use for the metro, will still have to drive the toll road to work. If costs of the metro prohibits many folks from using the toll road due to feasibility issues, then we've shot ourselves in the foot in terms of creating value for ourselves, if the metro chases off those who can't use it on a daily basis from wanting to be in this area. If they can build it without making the toll road fees jump to a national embarrassment level, them sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 01:03 PM

20 posts, read 28,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
It depends on how they address the cost allocation to the toll road. Many of us won't have a use for the metro, will still have to drive the toll road to work. If costs of the metro prohibits many folks from using the toll road due to feasibility issues, then we've shot ourselves in the foot in terms of creating value for ourselves, if the metro chases off those who can't use it on a daily basis from wanting to be in this area. If they can build it without making the toll road fees jump to a national embarrassment level, them sure.
The problem with the toll road cost is the airport authority are the one who control it and set the fees etc. The county/state has no control so its going to go up regardless. As the main point of the line is to add metro to the airport I am surprised they don't add a small fee to the people coming in and out of the airport on flights. With all the fees they add on anyway another $1 per person really isn't much.

I voted yes as it is important for the county. In the end the line is going to get built to at least the airport so the county either helps pay for the whole line or they opt out and the the airport authority jacks the price up even further on the toll road and the people who live here pay for it that way.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:30 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,665 times
Yeah the toll rates go up everyyear anyway, even without the Metro rail. I heard a company in Australia actually owns the Toll Road, so whether Metro comes or not, it doesn't matter for that particular issue.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:43 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,312,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Yeah the toll rates go up everyyear anyway, even without the Metro rail. I heard a company in Australia actually owns the Toll Road, so whether Metro comes or not, it doesn't matter for that particular issue.
MWAA owns the Dulles Toll Road; TRIP II (Macquarie) owns the Dulles Greenway. Tolls are going up on both.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:52 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,557,786 times
The toll road fees are financing this project, as it stands now. Putting more debt load on an already burdening fee is a double edged sword, especially when that fee is for use of something entirely different. I don't know what the % is of who would actually be able to use the metro daily and who wouldn't it, but I'd have to think that more could not than could. It's not exactly about getting to it from the house out here, it's about what to do at the other end? Who's going to walk a mile +/- every day in the heat and cold and rain in their work clothes to get from the office to the station? I wouldn't, and won't. I'm writing this with Tyson's Corner in mind though, not downtown. That, I can easily see the benefit for. But to all of us suburbanites who's offices are not close to a metro station, it makes little sense other than property value protection. That, is of course influenced by how much the toll road load will be on the wallets and purses that need to use it.... $10 one-way for a 4 mile stretch (Brambleton), is ridiculous, and will certainly have an impact on the desirability of the area to housing demand...aka....values. Tons of money sitting out here with developers, asking the same thing I'm asking... If they can build it without hurting more than they're helping, then have at it.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:32 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
I have to laugh at the DC metro , its over capacity and your region is still building it outwards. Instead of extending the Metro outwards which is costly and causes issues , Expand VRE and MARC outwards which are designed to link the various cities in the DC region. Construct new lines for both systems , Electrify VRE and you have a faster system.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:32 PM

20 posts, read 28,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
The toll road fees are financing this project, as it stands now. Putting more debt load on an already burdening fee is a double edged sword, especially when that fee is for use of something entirely different. I don't know what the % is of who would actually be able to use the metro daily and who wouldn't it, but I'd have to think that more could not than could. It's not exactly about getting to it from the house out here, it's about what to do at the other end? Who's going to walk a mile +/- every day in the heat and cold and rain in their work clothes to get from the office to the station? I wouldn't, and won't. I'm writing this with Tyson's Corner in mind though, not downtown. That, I can easily see the benefit for. But to all of us suburbanites who's offices are not close to a metro station, it makes little sense other than property value protection. That, is of course influenced by how much the toll road load will be on the wallets and purses that need to use it.... $10 one-way for a 4 mile stretch (Brambleton), is ridiculous, and will certainly have an impact on the desirability of the area to housing demand...aka....values. Tons of money sitting out here with developers, asking the same thing I'm asking... If they can build it without hurting more than they're helping, then have at it.
A lot of people seem to get the two toll roads confused. The toll road from the airport to the beltway is owned by the airport authority and it is this section that the toll prices will go up. The greenway ( from dulles out to Leesburg) is not owned by the airport authority but your correct the cost for just using even a mile of this part is way to high and theres not much the state can do about it as its in private hands. Any raises on this section however will not finance the metro.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:37 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
To me that wouldn't be a good idea. Anyone west of the Airport would have to go to the Dulles terminal just to get on the Metro. Doesn't make much sense.
Then move closer in. Metro was a subway system for Washington DC, not Loudon. Growing Loudon like crazy isn't what should be happening here. DC is the central city of the region. The Metro was sold as "rail to Dulles" from DC and that's what it should be. The part going to Loudon is, in my view, a waste of money. WMATA is going to go broke when the Silver Line opens up. They can barely take care of the existing system. The rail going to Loudon should have been VRE. If you want Metro in Loudon, then be prepared to pay for it. As for parking, garages can be added at Dulles if necessary. There is enough land for them. I thought it was too late to stop building it so far out, but seeing Loudon get jittery about the costs is getting my hopes up a little.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:06 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Then move closer in. Metro was a subway system for Washington DC, not Loudon. Growing Loudon like crazy isn't what should be happening here. DC is the central city of the region. The Metro was sold as "rail to Dulles" from DC and that's what it should be. The part going to Loudon is, in my view, a waste of money. WMATA is going to go broke when the Silver Line opens up. They can barely take care of the existing system. The rail going to Loudon should have been VRE. If you want Metro in Loudon, then be prepared to pay for it. As for parking, garages can be added at Dulles if necessary. There is enough land for them. I thought it was too late to stop building it so far out, but seeing Loudon get jittery about the costs is getting my hopes up a little.
That's like saying "metro should have only been built for dc" It's stupid to say that people should only live in DC and that places like Loudoun are growing shouldn't be happening. Tell that to everyone else living in NOVA and Maryland. Hell, I never go to even go to DC. It's too small of a city for that many people already.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:23 PM

560 posts, read 1,291,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
It would certainly clog up the parking at IAD if the airport became a major metro lot.

It would likely be more convenient for the LoCo folks to use the Route 28 station (aka Floris) rather than IAD. If commuter parking becomes a problem at IAD, then they would probably manipulate the parking arrangements in some way.

The Floris station is really a gift from Fairfax to Loudoun. Fairfax is paying, but who do they think from Fairfax will be using it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia