Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 06:03 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times

Advertisements

I need to straighten out this confusion about "split levels." I grew up in the era of "split foyer" homes. My dad was a realtor way back in the day and there is a distinction between "split levels" and "split foyers."

My entire family owned split foyers. When you stepped into the front door, you were generally standing in a 6'x6' foyer. You had a choice to either go up the stairs to the main living level, or down the stairs into the basement that may or may not be finished.

My one aunt had a split level. You stepped into the front door and on that level was the kitchen, living room, and dining room. To your left or right, depending on the layout of the house, was a set of stairs. One set went up to the bedrooms and bathrooms, and the other set went down to a finished or unfinished basement. Hence, you had three levels but they were split and not all on top of each other. Interesting concept that I don't see anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 07:55 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I'm not sure that either North Arlington or McLean would have a lot to offer the OP that doesn't fall into the old and/or split-level category.
Most of N. Arl. is prewar Capes, Colonials, bungalows, foursquares, plus a few remaining farmhouses--and '50s ramblers (though they're being torn down frequently). There are a few '60s-era split-something-or-others--but not that many.

OP, be advised that Arlington is about to start a huge project to reconfigure the intersection of Columbia Pike and Route 50, just west of the Pentagon. But honestly, you can reach it faster on southbound GWMP than from just about anywhere else.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:35 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Most of N. Arl. is prewar Capes, Colonials, bungalows, foursquares, plus a few remaining farmhouses--and '50s ramblers (though they're being torn down frequently). There are a few '60s-era split-something-or-others--but not that many.

OP, be advised that Arlington is about to start a huge project to reconfigure the intersection of Columbia Pike and Route 50, just west of the Pentagon. But honestly, you can reach it faster on southbound GWMP than from just about anywhere else.
If they are interested in a small, older home close to the Pentagon, they will have some options in both North Arlington and McLean under $725K. But not as many as they'll have a bit further out and, particularly in McLean, those older homes are often split levels from the 1960s. The housing stock in North Arlington includes more older homes.

I'm certainly not trying to steer the OP away from our respective neighborhoods. Neither am I trying to suggest she absolutely must live there, or her spouse's commute will be a living hell. Just trying to give someone who may not be too familiar with the area a sense as to where, relatively speaking, she may find the largest number of properties initially that meet her needs. There are reasons why so many military families end up in Alexandria, Burke and Springfield - affordability and inventory.

As to the comments by other posters about McMansions, $725K is unlikely to buy a McMansion in any part of Arlington or more than a few pockets of Fairfax (some developments in, for example, Lorton or Centreville), so I don't think she'll have to worry about heating a McMansion unless she starts looking further out, which seems unlikely.

Last edited by JD984; 03-24-2012 at 09:46 AM..

Old 03-24-2012, 10:13 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
...OP, be advised that Arlington is about to start a huge project to reconfigure the intersection of Columbia Pike and Route 50, just west of the Pentagon. But honestly, you can reach it faster on southbound GWMP than from just about anywhere else.

Do you mean Washington Blvd? I can't think of anywhere that Columbia Pike intersects with Route 50...

Old 03-24-2012, 10:20 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Do you mean Washington Blvd? I can't think of anywhere that Columbia Pike intersects with Route 50...
Yeah, I guess they don't really intersect. I mean the mini-mixing bowl where 50 goes of Washington Blvd., and Columbia Pike is in there somewhere (I think also going over Wash Blvd). They're about to rejigger the whole mess--projected to last until 2015.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:31 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,962 times
i grew up in 22150, and there were lots of Pentagon workers. I had more brass on my paper route, than most bases. Their kids frequently strengthened the schools and sports programs. That being stated, with your budget, try 22152. The 60s homes are probably better than the 70s homes......
7016 Maple Tree Ln Springfield VA - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #FX7789668 - Realtor.com®

but I would be looking behind the Springfield Country Club.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:36 PM

7 posts, read 5,864 times
Thanks again for all the information! Will def take a closer look at Springfield. Seems to have most of what we are looking for, and the commute times are good via metro. (and as someone else mentioned close to Belvoir as well.) Still not ruling out parts of Arlington, Alexandria or Burke but a lot to chat with Realtor about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia