Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 08:29 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,922 times

Advertisements

As long as you're not living Georgetown South you are fine. You can live near it with no problem - it's just in it. Stay away from Coverstone in Manassas. But, entertain the idea of Jackson's Ridge in Manassas although you have to go through Coverstone to get to it. I lived there and it was fine. I have friend's that currently live there now. And it's right off I66 which would make it lots easier for you to get to Falls Church, VA. Also - stay away from Iron Gate in Manassas.

JACKSON RIDGE CONDO, 14-2 Condo in MANASSAS: Condo.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 08:48 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
There's only one (in the DC area anyway). The address for Fairfax Hospital is Falls Church.
Wow, I did not realize that. It doesn't seem like "Falls Church" to me.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:53 PM

540 posts, read 790,988 times
I'm guessing that the OP knows this, but just in case:

Inova Fairfax Hospital launching long distance shuttle, expansion possible - Washington Business Journal

Quote:
With Fairfax County’s assistance, Inova will launch a long distance shuttle service Jan. 23 to transport roughly 50 hospital employees from Prince William County to the Merrifield facility — home to 6,074 workers.

The two, 25-seat shuttles will leave their respective destinations (one is the PRTC transit center in Woodbridge; the other, in Gainesville, is ) at 5:45 a.m. and arrive at 6:30 a.m., traveling Interstate 95, the Capital Beltway and Interstate 66. The shuttles will leave the hospital at 4:15 p.m. for the return trip, arriving 45 minutes to an hour later.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:31 PM

247 posts, read 1,141,371 times
We live on 123 and Burke Centre - and my Dh commutes to FFX hospital (across the street) every day. It takes no more than 25 minutes, no matter what the time of day, all side streets. I would guess it'd take 20-30 minutes from lake ridge to get to our house at 8am up 123, so less than an hour for sure.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:38 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellytop View Post
@Bigfoot424............ Really??? are the the areas I listed that bad?? :0( ... I will have to drive there and see the reality. Do you live in PW. CO?
I was a PWC police officer for over 30 years. I know which areas I would not want family to live in. I know that within these neighborhoods there are plenty of good people but the calls for service will always run higher in these areas VS many others. Of course your budget will help decide where you might live. Georgetown South is a definite no no. You could make a few of the other areas work if you needed. Point of Woods at one time was a great neighborhood. It's not what it once was but it's not nearly as bad a GTS.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:41 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
If you go to Realtor.com and enter Lake Ridge's zip - 22192 - several nice townhouses come up for $200k and below.

Some areas of Lake Ridge are sketchy but there are also some really nice areas. If you see a few houses, tell us the addresses and maybe we can tell you if the neighborhoods are safe. Bigfoot is especially knowledgable as he used to be a PWC cop.

As for the commute to FFX hospital, Google Maps estimates 45 minutes from Lake Ridge - I have never driven up Rt 123 during rush but I would allow for an hour.

Edit: Take a look at 4051 Cressida Place in Woodbridge. I can't quote crime stats but from all outward appearances, this looks to be a nice neighborhood.

Cressida Pl was in a decent and fairly quiet neighborhood.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:21 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
If you go to Realtor.com and enter Lake Ridge's zip - 22192 - several nice townhouses come up for $200k and below.

Some areas of Lake Ridge are sketchy but there are also some really nice areas. If you see a few houses, tell us the addresses and maybe we can tell you if the neighborhoods are safe. Bigfoot is especially knowledgable as he used to be a PWC cop.

As for the commute to FFX hospital, Google Maps estimates 45 minutes from Lake Ridge - I have never driven up Rt 123 during rush but I would allow for an hour.

Edit: Take a look at 4051 Cressida Place in Woodbridge. I can't quote crime stats but from all outward appearances, this looks to be a nice neighborhood.
Those are considered condos, so the condos fees have to be weighed in as a factor for cost, but it's definitely a nice area.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:59 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Those are considered condos, so the condos fees have to be weighed in as a factor for cost, but it's definitely a nice area.

Plus, the OP says she qualifies for less when purchasing a condo. About $140,000.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:40 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,132,491 times
Have you done the cost analysis to see if moving further out and spending more money in commuting is worth the fact that you own rather than rent? If you live very close to work now, then your commuting costs and the time spent commuting are lower. Though if you move further away but pay less for housing, will the cost savings be washed away by paying more for gas, wear/tear on your vehicle and time spent away from your family because of the commute.

Also don't forget to factor in maintenance costs if you buy. Your rent money isn't "wasted" when your refrigerator breaks and all you have to do is call the landlord for them to replace it. If you own, all maintenance costs are your responsibility.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:16 PM

12 posts, read 20,966 times
Default Yes I am tied to Fairfax...family lives here and they babysit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
The OP has stated that she works in Falls Church but has also said she works at FFX Hospital. Maybe there is another Fairfax Hospital????

Because I think the drive up 123 to FFX Hospital wouldn't be that bad. Probably close to an hour during rush. I've had to do it a few times to get my son to an appointment there (but I did use the beltway).
HI Christine... Fairfax Hospital is located in Falls Church, I work 3 blocks from the hospital.

I went to visit the 2 homes in Point of Woods Manassas......and it wasn't as good as I thought ..the neighboorhoods I saw were a little run down ..
I am crossing my fingers and hope to find something a little better...soon before my baby graduates college lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia