Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 08:14 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

Moms: I can't afford to work - Apr. 18, 2012

Quote:
Andrea Hayken, 34, made about $45,000 a year as a third grade teacher in the Fairfax, Va. county public school system. But licensed daycare for her now four-year-old son would have cost $2,000 a month, eating up nearly half of her before-tax income.

Since her husband, an attorney, earned more money than she did, it made more sense for Hayken to be the one to stay home.

"When all was said and done, there just wasn't enough money to make [working] worth it," she said.
Thoughts NoVA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 08:17 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
That's exactly my situation and the situation of almost all the other non-working moms that I know. What a difference it would make if childcare were convenient and affordable. We just do not live in a "family-friendly" country.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:19 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Yes, this happens and I have known several women who have dropped out of the workforce due to this.

Back when my kids were in daycare (a LONG time ago--early to mid 1990s), I was probably making about $45,000 to $50,000 then. Even though daycare took a large portion of my income, I still came out ahead and decided to stick it out. Daycare costs take up about 13 of your 40 years working. The highest rates charged are for the first few years. During that time, while you aren't making much of a "profit" working, you are still having money going into retirement for yourself, have access to benefits, and are continually building your experience and tenure in your field. While you can't see it immediately, dropping out of the workforce for 5, 10, 15 years has HUGE ramifications on your future ability to earn money, save for retirement, etc. I advocate sticking it out unless you truly are starving to pay for daycare. Unless of course, you don't really want to work, then different story.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:21 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
$2,000 * 10 = $20,000
$45-20 = $25k

$25k isn't worth working for? We have different definitions of what's worth it. That's a hefty chunk of money (and retirement, and benefits, and seniority) to give up. On top of that, there are childcare options that cost less than $2k/month.

If you want to stay home with your child, do it--but I don't think in this case, the finances are the reason she chose to stay home. Teaching is the exception, but in just about all careers, taking 5 years off is detrimental to career growth and promotions, and makes it difficult to get back into the industry. Any money you'd "save" by not paying for childcare is negated when you look at lost promotions and raises and such.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:24 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
To be honest, I think this area has benefited from having so many stay at home moms and dads.

First, let me note this isn't the only reason parents are at home--some work at home, some are looking for jobs, some are from other countries and aren't allowed to work in the US, etc. But, I've certainly met plenty of stay at home parents who said they didn't work because between tax issues and the cost of childcare, commuting, etc. it they weren't making enough money to make it worthwhile for both parents to work.

As for the benefit--neighborhoods are safer when plenty of adults are at home during the day. Criminals prefer to target streets where nobody's around. Adults get to know their neighbors better when they're at home, since they go to the gym or take breaks to go for walks or simply make friends waiting at the school bus stop. Also, fewer commuters are on the road and stores are less congested (since the stay-at-home crowd shops during the day).

I usually work part time (unless a big work order comes in) and so am home a good part of the day. When I'm home I'm usually out gardening and that means I've been around to see kids getting into mischief a few times and put a stop to it before things got out of hand. Also, one time a kid who was being bullied became my gardening helper for a while and he eventually grew up to become a landscape designer. So I feel that being at home let me help pass on some of my knowledge.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:28 AM

855 posts, read 1,173,195 times
25k isn't worth the hassle for a lot of people. It's basically doing full-time work for half the pay. So I can see why a lot of women (or men) would consider just staying home and saving themselves the stress of having to commute, go to work, pick the kids up from daycare, come home and help with homework, fix dinner, and then find time to unwind after being up since 5 in the morning.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:30 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,577 times
agreed with the previous posts - and I think the "I'm married to a lawyer" woman isn't likely to have to make the same financial decisions and lifestyle changes that other families would face in this same circumstance.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:31 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
$2,000 * 10 = $20,000
$45-20 = $25k

$25k isn't worth working for? We have different definitions of what's worth it. That's a hefty chunk of money (and retirement, and benefits, and seniority) to give up. On top of that, there are childcare options that cost less than $2k/month.

If you want to stay home with your child, do it--but I don't think in this case, the finances are the reason she chose to stay home. Teaching is the exception, but in just about all careers, taking 5 years off is detrimental to career growth and promotions, and makes it difficult to get back into the industry. Any money you'd "save" by not paying for childcare is negated when you look at lost promotions and raises and such.
I think that was $45k before taxes. Add in commuting costs, taxes, and other deductions, she'll be lucky to be taking home $28-30k a year. Than the net benefit is $8k a year which you have to decide whether it is worth working yourself to the bone for.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
25k isn't worth the hassle for a lot of people. It's basically doing full-time work for half the pay. So I can see why a lot of women (or men) would consider just staying home and saving themselves the stress of having to commute, go to work, pick the kids up from daycare, come home and help with homework, fix dinner, and then find time to unwind after being up since 5 in the morning.
As opposed to doing full time work (child care) for no pay.

I get it, there are emotional/non tangible benefits to staying home, but there are also emotional/non tangible benefits to working.

If you don't want to be a working parent, don't do it.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I think that was $45k before taxes. Add in commuting costs, taxes, and other deductions, she'll be lucky to be taking home $28-30k a year. Than the net benefit is $8k a year which you have to decide whether it is worth working yourself to the bone for.
$8k for 5 years. Then when kiddo is in school and the daycare costs are rapidly shrinking, she still has a job, has funded her retirement for 5 years, has seniority, has probably had pay raises (though maybe not, in teaching), etc.

It's HARD to get back into the work force after 5 years off. I'm watching a lot of my friends struggle with it right now. The ones who stuck it out and worked at least part time while they had young kids are finding jobs much easier than the ones who have not had their hands in the industry for 5+ years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia