Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 05:43 PM

154 posts, read 388,118 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I wrote a while ago about my job search but after consults with recruiters and countless applications, I've gotten nowhere. A couple of recruiters told me that I should expand my career search by looking at different types of jobs. So, I am still looking for a development coordinator/manager position within the nonprofit sector and since have included the cause marketing field in both the nonprofit and corporate field. I am still applying for federal government positions but was told to try to apply for a contractor position like a public affairs/administration (my master's in public affairs) but was only told only about CACI.

Can anyone give me suggestions or advice to help my job search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 07:03 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,513 times
I'm a hiring manager in the federal government, here's the standard advice I give to all applicants:

On your resume:
- Use the format in USAJOBS. Yes, it sucks but hiring managers are "psychologically conditioned" to use it.
- Get "Ten Steps to a Federal Job" by Kathryn Troutman. It is the best non-gov resource on how to apply and get hired in the Fed.
- Unlike non-gov resumes, there's no restriction on how long you resume can be. The ones I see are typically 5 - 6 pages long. That said, use the length to give your qualifications and accomplishments; I can spot BS, buzzwords and filler a mile away. Be direct, honest, use active voice, and reuse the language from the announcement where possible.
- I don't know what you don't tell me. A lot of otherwise promising candidates leave things off their resumes, forcing me to fill in the gaps for them. There's no penalty for including 'too much' information since a hiring manager may read the entire thing or focus on your two last jobs.
- Spelling and grammar!!! After three typos, I move on to the next resume. Other managers are less generous.
- On the questionaire, always select the "you are an expert..." option. This section is complete BS and rewards people for inflating their answers; don't filter yourself out. Everyone hates it.
- If you have a security clearance and any certifications, put these clearly in the Additional Information section.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:29 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,139 times
Are you volunteering your time somewhere? Non-profits and causes like to see that applicants support their activities and aren't just looking for a paycheck.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:54 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,927 times
No offense to Smoke Jaguar above - but many agencies in the Federal Government frankly have very unprofessional hiring practices. Back when I was searching, I must have submitted 60 or 70 apps - I only ever heard back on about 5 of them. The rest went into a black hole. With that - I would continue to apply for federal jobs, but don't count on it. Most already know who they want to hire and are just posting it to meet regulatory requirements. Those that are real have hugely fierce competition because lots of folks want the security and perceived benefits of a federal job.

Ultimately, limiting your search to Government and nonprofit is often simply too restrictive.

Thus I agree that the private sector should be included in your search, especially contractors in this area. CACI is one, but try all the biggies - SAIC, Booz Allen, General Dynamics (all of them), Northrop, Lockheed, etc. There are small companies as well. If you know anyone in a position of authority at such a contractor, contact them as well. I can honestly say I've only gotten one job in my life by just applying to any kind of "posting" - and that was an unpaid internship .

Best of luck to you! If you widen your net, I think you'll start getting some interviews .

Old 04-18-2012, 10:04 PM

633 posts, read 1,012,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leerinsmom View Post
Hi All,

I wrote a while ago about my job search but after consults with recruiters and countless applications, I've gotten nowhere. A couple of recruiters told me that I should expand my career search by looking at different types of jobs. So, I am still looking for a development coordinator/manager position within the nonprofit sector and since have included the cause marketing field in both the nonprofit and corporate field. I am still applying for federal government positions but was told to try to apply for a contractor position like a public affairs/administration (my master's in public affairs) but was only told only about CACI.

Can anyone give me suggestions or advice to help my job search.
Getting a job at Fed Gov can take forever. And yes, there are unfair hiring practices (depending on who you speak to, naturally )

Time to get creative and look at your skills and what you like to do - NOT the job title. What is the least salary you can accept?

Why does it have to be non profit? Seriously I would rewrite my resume in a more quantitative manner and look at jobs with companies. You need several resumes, anyway.

You mentioned that you've "consulted with recruiters" and you were only "told" about CACI... time to get aggressive here and start to look at jobs that fit your skill set - even a little. Recently I applied for a lower level job with an organization - Business Manager - went through the complete interviewing process, ended up turning the job down. About 2 weeks later, the head of the department called me and offered me the Regional Manager slot for DC! I had already accepted a position... but would have gladly taken it. So my point is, get yourself some interviews by broadening your search. It might lead you in a direction you had not previously considered.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:05 AM

504 posts, read 1,212,753 times
If the screening questionnaires suck, you should let your HR know and have them revised. Or are they standard OPM boiler plate questions?

Old 04-19-2012, 06:34 AM

6 posts, read 10,035 times
OP, have you tried any of the placement agencies? I know they don't have a great reputation, but it's a way to get your foot in the door and they tend to find federal jobs for you in places you never knew existed before. It's also a great way to "try out" companies and keep money coming in until you find the job you want.

Also, have you checked out all the online search engines? For starters, there's CareerBuilder, Craigslist, Indeed, Tuit, jobrapido, and Monster, among many others. There are a number of placement agencies out there, as well. And several use uploaded resumes from CareerBuilder.

Good luck to you.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:00 AM

154 posts, read 388,118 times
Hi All,

Thanks for the great advice. To answer some of the questions- I have re-evaluated my thought process, I would like to stay with a nonprofit, but I agree with the poster that said that I need to think about the skill set that I have and how I can transfer that to a corporate or government environment. I have used search engines like idealist, indeed but will look at the other search engines mentioned. I am in a bit of bind when it comes to placement agencies because I cannot afford to not have healthcare, I was hoping that they could help me with direct placement positions. I have also been looking for government contracting agencies that have non-IT jobs. Any thoughts?

Old 04-20-2012, 10:51 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
I know that the title Development can carry different duties within different sectors. Within the independent school sector, it means fundraising, alumnae relations, coordinating donor events, etc.

So if this is what you mean when referring to Development, have you thought of looking at independent schools for opportunities? I recommend checking out this website: Job Listings | Independent Education or Carney, Sandoe & Associates.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:57 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,354 times
I used to go to free job-searching workshops offered through a local private university. The instructor/coordinator was a big believer in "informational interviews." You ask to speak with someone working in the field you're interested in, emphasizing that you want to learn more about the field, and hiring practices, and aren't asking them for a job (well, at least not yet; and there may be no jobs available there). Ask them about best places (and position) to volunter, whether taking more classes, even at night, would help, what skills are most in demand, etc. Government and non-profit jobs do exist, but less so than in the past, and at least some of the skills you'd need to work there should be usable in the private, for-profit sector.

One good thing about taking classes is that you could talk with others (students, and instructors) who may be working in the field now, or have in the past. And some schools have job placement offices. I'd personally consider a private placement agency only if you know others who used them and benefited and/or they have particularly good connections with hirers that you wouldn't know about. They might be able to help with resumes, etc., but you can often get help in that area for free (eg., organiations such as SCORE, where retired business executives volunteers, has various workshops that are free or low-cost and might benefit you even if you aren't looking for biz jobs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia