Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 08:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,962 times

Advertisements

Looking for a daycare in Leesburg for a 21 Month old and a (11 months away) newborn. We have tried an in home for our 21 month old for a reasonable (but low) price, but it didn't meet any type of standards. We are planning to tour Kindercare and Kiddie Academy, both of the ones in Leesburg.

Disclaimer: We have done extensive research online. We understand the Kiddie Academy issue back in May - unfortunately, we believe that they can recover from this and are still willing to tour. Any current/prospective customers would be welcome. We also understand the Montessori/Open Arms scenario and are unwilling to commit to a Christian-based learning program and do not have children over two years to be admitted to a "pre-school". Anyone that has specific experience with Goddard (not impressed as the director tried to bargain in determining price on the phone), Kindercare (seemed as though the phone was answered in a room full of kids - and the location isn't ideal, as we live in SW Leesburg), Winward (pricey, but you pay for what you get), and Kiddie Academy (Superb location and superior asthetics, although for the one incident that made the whole town recoil in fear - we're excited to tour this one with new personnel).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 06:08 PM

531 posts, read 1,429,197 times
Winwood is expensive, but I don't think you get what you pay for. They have a nice facility and video cameras. But the hygene condition is not good. I almost sent my child there but changed my mind after visiting it several times. I saw lots of children walk around with yellowish nasal discharge for the whole hour I was there and no teacher bothered wiping them off. I also observed one classroom's lunch time. Children were engaging in all sorts of activities prior to lunch. Then the teachers served lunch, without washing anyone's hands. I read quite a few reviews about how people's children got sick all the time in Winwood. I am not surprised at all after my visits.

Goddard has very good daily activities for children. Several teachers I know are very, very caring. The owner surely is in the business of making money. The upside is that you can get good price if you bargain hard and they will accomodate your needs to a greater degree than many other daycares. The down side is that you may not like the practice of bargaining. I especially don't like their unwritten policy that kids with less than 102 degrees of fever can stay in the daycare, although their written policy says 100 degrees. I think this policy gives certain parents convenince of not picking their sick kids up but is detrimental to children's health as it aids germ spreading. Goddard does not provide lunch and you have to pack your own lunch everyday. This can be a plus or minus depending on your perspective.

Leesburg Open Arms has some serious violations on Virignia Social Service's website. However, I heard very good things about them from parents. My peditrician also has good comments about it. I know quite a few non-Christian people who send their children there. I don't think the daycare is very religiously centered compared to other church organized daycares. They are less costly and provide lunch and video cameras too.

Leesburg Montessori is the best school, IMO, among the local choices. But they don't admit 11 months old. They are not a Christian school. I am under the impression that kids there are from wealthier families compared to other daycares/preschools. It is the only school that told me that they needed to potty train my two year old immediately. It is also the only Leesburg area preschool that requires uniforms. I have a lot of friends who send their children to other montessori schools (Reston Montessori, Herndon Montessori, and The Boyd School) and they all liked the Montessori method and said their children learned a lot there. If you really like Montessori, Belmont Greene Montessori off Belmont Ridge Road (not too far from Leesburg) offers program starting at 6 weeks. Both of you children can attend.

Kiddie Academy impressed me and others at the beginning. But one woman who sent her son there regretted and pulled him out later. You can read her review here (http://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/48769265.aspx?MsdVisit=1). She was bothered by the lack of structure in Kiddie Academy and that her son only did one art project in six weeks. On the contrary, my 2 year old in Goddard does two or more art projects each week.

To see a list of Leesburg daycares, you can visit: http://www.loudoun.gov/controls/speerio/resources/RenderContent.aspx?data=5bd75612cf2d4cbab968b3ae03 02825b&tabid=336&fmpath=%2fFamily+Services (broken link). The link has lists of daycares all over Loudoun County. You need to scroll down to the Leesburg section.

Last edited by newnewsmama; 08-23-2011 at 06:34 PM..

Old 05-02-2012, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,036 times
As a former Kiddie Academy mom, I would say to avoid. The building is great, but the owner and teachers are not established or trustworthy.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:10 PM

531 posts, read 1,429,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme9000 View Post
As a former Kiddie Academy mom, I would say to avoid. The building is great, but the owner and teachers are not established or trustworthy.
Did you find another place in Leesburg that is better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia