Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 04:33 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy62 View Post
TJ had 156 semi-finalists for 2012. The first posting is the list of 43 students who won the $2,500 scholarship from the NMSC for 2012. Yup, most semi-finalists become finalists but not all will get the $2,500 scholarship.
The fun bunch are the semi-finalists who didn't become finalists. Remember the kids in college who partied hearty, rarely showed up to class but aced the tests anyway? Those will be the ones these kids end up working for.

Difficult to tell from some of the names but the list looks gender balanced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 06:20 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,459,830 times
CaliTerp07 - I'm pretty sure you are confusing semi-finalist and finalist as others have said, based on your comment about it only being PSAT score based.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
'Mostly' from TJ is an understatement. Try, OVERWHELMINGLY (33 of 41/80%) from TJ. That is amazing. Our society is more and more one where the cognitive elite are only amongst themselves. Many of the TJ kids will go on to elite universities (with other elite children) and then go on to live in neighborhoods where other graduates of elites universities live. All the while, hardly ever having to mix with average and above average children
Oh please. While I'm sure that's true for some people who may continue in academia for most of their lives, I don't think it holds true after college for many. They join churches and other community groups where the mix of people is across the board - there are only so many things to be involved in in your working life where "the cognitive elite are only amongst themselves". Furthermore, academically elite neighborhoods? There are so many factors that affect people's home decisions and neighborhoods, and your SAT scores and name on the degree just aren't that big of ones.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:30 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Many of the TJ kids will go on to elite universities (with other elite children)
Should we advocate that the "elite" go to Tier 4/ 5 schools; where they will get a sub-par education? "Elite" universities are designed to educate the "elite" students. Of course that's where they will mostly go. Even the ones that don't will likely end up at a school that is "elite" in their chosen field. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:26 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,923,464 times
Not all TJ grads go on to "elite" schools, if by "elite" you mean a top 10 school. Most of those universities could fill their classes with smart students from prep schools and elite public magnets like TJ, but they don't, because they are also looking for the poor inner-city kids, the kids from Wyoming ranches and Indian reservations, the international full-pays, donors' kids, legacies, and recruited athletes. A considerable number of TJ kids go on to UVA, William and Mary, Virginia Tech, and other solid but not "elite" schools.

But it is true that most upper-middle class college-educated people tend to cluster together. Charles Murray's newest book "Coming Apart" is a fascinating study of this topic. Check out his quiz, which demonstrates just how insulated many of this group really are in their day-to-day lives. (It includes questions on how much time you spend with people who smoke, the names of NASCAR drivers, the occupations of your neighbors, your familiarity with mainstream popular culture, and how many of your high school friends struggled to pass their classes.)

Old 05-04-2012, 07:42 AM

448 posts, read 870,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Should we advocate that the "elite" go to Tier 4/ 5 schools; where they will get a sub-par education? "Elite" universities are designed to educate the "elite" students. Of course that's where they will mostly go. Even the ones that don't will likely end up at a school that is "elite" in their chosen field. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this.
Not implying there is anything wrong with going to an elite school or university at all. They should. The only thing that I was getting at is that in our society the cognitive elite are mixing with the others, less and less - even after college. There have even been a couple of books written on this recently...

Quote:
Furthermore, academically elite neighborhoods? There are so many factors that affect people's home decisions and neighborhoods, and your SAT scores and name on the degree just aren't that big of ones.
No, but they tend to enjoy and value the same things which in turn brings them together. If you look at the data according to zip code you will see that those of similar educational and socioeconomic status/background tend to live together. In many zip codes here in NoVa, it is very common for people to have advanced degrees. No, they don't seek each other out by cognitive ability, but they tend to find each other common values and interests.

What affect does this have down the road? Looking at this from a socioeconomic (SES) view, some 80% of those accepted into elite "Tier 1" colleges came from the top 25% of SES, while only 2% came from the bottom 25%. Now, unless one believes that only rich people are smart, then anyone can see that there is a problem here. This gap and the cultural separation is getting wider. The elite children are - by and large - growing up in solid homes while a many working class children are being raised in broken homes. This makes for different social norms.

Going back to the neighborhoods, in the end people pick on these signals when they are looking for a place to live. What is a "good neighborhood"? What do we mean by a "good school"? Do parents that have advanced degrees not tend to pay more attention to these things and endlessly go through websites to make sure their kids are in the "right" schools? This in turn tends to bring together a cognitive elite into certain neighborhoods.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:31 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
CaliTerp07 - I'm pretty sure you are confusing semi-finalist and finalist as others have said, based on your comment about it only being PSAT score based.
http://www.nationalmerit.org/Merit_R&I_Leaflet.pdf

To become a semi-finalist, it's just your PSAT scores. To become a finalist, you take the SAT to confirm your scores, submit your grades, and that's all I can see. Truly, it's still heavily based on your PSAT scores. I don't remember any essays or interviews or anything when I was a NM Scholar (albeit 2004).

I just googled the press release from my senior year. In my graduating class of 500ish students, there were 8 scholarship winners, and in the county as a whole (1400 seniors) there were 20 scholarship winners.

Not saying that FFX County shouldn't be proud of the ones they have, but this district is 6-7x the size of the one I came from, and we had half as many? I just really would have expected another 30 or 40 names on that list.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:50 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,459,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
http://www.nationalmerit.org/Merit_R&I_Leaflet.pdf

To become a semi-finalist, it's just your PSAT scores. To become a finalist, you take the SAT to confirm your scores, submit your grades, and that's all I can see. Truly, it's still heavily based on your PSAT scores. I don't remember any essays or interviews or anything when I was a NM Scholar (albeit 2004).

I just googled the press release from my senior year. In my graduating class of 500ish students, there were 8 scholarship winners, and in the county as a whole (1400 seniors) there were 20 scholarship winners.

Not saying that FFX County shouldn't be proud of the ones they have, but this district is 6-7x the size of the one I came from, and we had half as many? I just really would have expected another 30 or 40 names on that list.
Sorry, meant to clarify Merit Scholarship winner, not 'finalist', as I think there's a difference.

I believe it's something like 16,000 semi-finalists, 15,000 finalists (not sure why some people get cut), and then only a portion of those get the $2,500 scholarship. FCPS indicates only 2,500 students get those; the national merit site mentions 8,300, but that includes 3 types of scholarships.

So I'm not exactly sure why your district had relatively more - maybe you are including all the 3 types of scholarships (e.g. corporate) which total 8,300, while FCPS is only listing the type that total 2,500. Or maybe your district rocked. Or there was some weird state quotas going on.

Last edited by snowdenscold; 05-04-2012 at 10:59 AM..

Old 05-04-2012, 11:00 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,725,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
To become a finalist, you take the SAT to confirm your scores, submit your grades, and that's all I can see. Truly, it's still heavily based on your PSAT scores. I don't remember any essays or interviews or anything when I was a NM Scholar (albeit 2004).
I was a National Merit Finalist a few decades before that, but I know I had to write an essay before I would receive a recommendation from the principal. We had one high school (graduating class of just under 900 students) and there were three National Merit Finalists at my school that year.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:09 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
What affect does this have down the road? Looking at this from a socioeconomic (SES) view, some 80% of those accepted into elite "Tier 1" colleges came from the top 25% of SES, while only 2% came from the bottom 25%. Now, unless one believes that only rich people are smart, then anyone can see that there is a problem here. This gap and the cultural separation is getting wider. The elite children are - by and large - growing up in solid homes while a many working class children are being raised in broken homes. This makes for different social norms.
Agreed - not only rich people are smart; and it's also true that not only smart people are rich. BUT, smart people (regardless of their socio-economic beginnings) usually find a way to do well and achieve success that normally raises their level of wealth, and subsequently social "class". Then, they try and make sure their children (usually also "smart", because of inherited genes) go even further. This normally continues for generation to generation.

So, it certainly does not surprise me that studies are showing that the majority of the smart people in this society (I would venture to say any society) are located at the upper-economic levels.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:16 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
So I'm not exactly sure why your district had relatively more - maybe you are including all the 3 types of scholarships (e.g. corporate) which total 8,300, while FCPS is only listing the type that total 2,500. Or maybe your district rocked. Or there was some weird state quotas going on.
THAT'S the difference! My list definitely included the corporate scholarships as well.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia