Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:54 AM

14 posts, read 57,933 times

Advertisements

My Husband and I are looking to relocate and he is looking at some jobs around the Alexandria or Arlington area (he's an Accountant, and is thinking about government jobs) We want to start a family so are looking for areas that have good schools, Low crime etc( a smaller town is better). He doesn't mind having to commute a little maybe like 30 min commute or even a commuter rail would be great! We are also looking for a place that is not extremely expensive. 250K - 300K would be great

any suggestions (does a place like that even exist in that area)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 09:56 AM

210 posts, read 417,023 times
There are no small towns near Alexandria.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:59 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,380,579 times
Yeah, definitely not within 30 minutes.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:00 AM

8,628 posts, read 9,134,034 times
I guess if he'll take the rail, look at Spotsylvania, Fredericksburg area, however as stated a bit farther than 30 minutes.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:17 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangelmaybe View Post
My Husband and I are looking to relocate and he is looking at some jobs around the Alexandria or Arlington area (he's an Accountant, and is thinking about government jobs) We want to start a family so are looking for areas that have good schools, Low crime etc( a smaller town is better). He doesn't mind having to commute a little maybe like 30 min commute or even a commuter rail would be great! We are also looking for a place that is not extremely expensive. 250K - 300K would be great

Not really.

I would rent a small place in one of Winchester/Front Royal/Warrenton/Manassas/Leesburg/Fredericksburg/Frederick/Annapolis, find some sort of temp/retail job, and begin a job search from there.

Once you find a job, grind it out for a few months, or pay the lease-break fee if you're able. Then, find something more "permanent."

Do you have family/very close friends in the area already?

In fact, the cities I mention, the edge towns of the Washington DC area, would be your best bet cost-wise and small-town wise, minus the 30 minute commute. Each have a separate history from the greater DC blob, which despite my calling it a blob, really isn't bad (for the most part).

Fairfax, Herndon, Falls Church, Vienna, Rockville, Bowie, and Gaithersburg (the suburban towns) all have managed to maintain their separate identities but are correspondingly more expensive.

Then there's the inner towns, VA doesn't really have any but there's scads in Maryland all adjoining the District itself.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:17 AM

219 posts, read 594,991 times
Quote:

Your not going to find anything with low crime, good schools, and within 30 minutes of the DC area within that price range unless your looking at a 1 bedroom condo. Bowie, MD in Prince George's county may be an option for you. It is a nice suburban town with relatively low crime... but their schools aren't that great.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:43 AM

14 posts, read 57,933 times
it's not that he wants to work in DC. We are just looking for a smaller town to raise a family where he can get a job! It just seems like all the jobs are around there. So a commute to where ever he works is important and then safety and schools would be the next big thing... i know that in order to get those thing we are going to have to pay more . I'm just hoping we can find something not super expensive.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:44 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,979 times
Quote:

To answer your last question: NO.

If you want a more small town/rural feel, you can look at VRE for a rail line and live down in Stafford, but his commute is going to be well over an hour (getting to train station + hour on train + getting to office).

For your housing: size, location/commute, price - pick 2. At your price range, that means either looking at something very small close in (condo or old, small townhouse), or an hour+ commute if you want a bigger TH or SFH.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:59 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
A half-hour from Alexandria or Arlington will often get you no further than Fairfax County which is fairly high-density suburbia. With your price range, you would normally find a pretty good 1BR condo, an okay 2BR condo or (rarely) a TH/rambler that needs lots of TLC. If you don't plan to start your family for another few years, perhaps buying a condo or smaller TH may be a way to build up equity in the short run.

As others have suggested, small-town living (and housing costs) come with a compromise in this expensive area in terms of commute time and distance.

The good news is that with relatively rare exceptions, most all of NOVA is low crime.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:30 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,492 times
Quote:
it's not that he wants to work in DC. We are just looking for a smaller town to raise a family where he can get a job! It just seems like all the jobs are around there. So a commute to where ever he works is important and then safety and schools would be the next big thing... i know that in order to get those thing we are going to have to pay more . I'm just hoping we can find something not super expensive.
Around DC is a nebulous term.

If your husband can find a job in Ashburn or Herndon, Leesburg becomes an option. Others have pointed out Fredericksburg is an option if you're willing to take VRE, but that'd be a longer commute.

Rent in one of the edge towns to get a feel for the area/find better paying jobs, and then figure out where to go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia