Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 01:11 PM

13 posts, read 30,633 times

Advertisements

My family might relocate to Chantilly as my husband has a job prospect there. We've been living in Europe for several years and will miss the walkability of the towns we've been living in. We're somewhat familiar with NOVA, but need some recommendations for places to live. Safety and schools are high on the priority list as we have two young children. Next, we'd like to live somewhere walkable (for example, a Main Street type town with shops, restaurants, library, park, etc.) within walking distance. Finally, a good community feel is also important. A bonus would be a cute historic town...asking a lot, I know. Any suggestions for places that might check some or all of those boxes? Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 02:10 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
How far/time is your husband willing to commute? And maximum budget/style/#bedrooms etc?

Old 01-18-2014, 02:37 PM

989 posts, read 2,855,994 times
Leesburg or Middleburg? Not terribly close but the commute shouldn't be unbearable.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:51 PM

1,256 posts, read 4,196,028 times
Pull up a wide-area Google map centered at Chantilly.

Alexandria "Old Town" is walkable.

Leesburg is walkable.

Middleburg is walkable.

Clifton is walkable but there's not a whole lot of walking to do there.

Fairfax is walkable however after living JUST south of Chantilly for 25 years I've never tried walking there - perhaps the parking situation.

Georgetown (DC) is walkable. Of course, the whole mall area (Washington Monument, etc) and surrounding streets are walkable, too, as is Tenley Town and The Zoo.

Nothing is within walking distance of Chantilly, Chantilly being in the middle of the suburbs thus requiring miles of driving to get anywhere.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:49 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klynn View Post
Next, we'd like to live somewhere walkable (for example, a Main Street type town with shops, restaurants, library, park, etc.) within walking distance. Finally, a good community feel is also important. A bonus would be a cute historic town....
You have 100% described Middleburg, which is a 20-30 minute drive to Chantilly (assuming the job is in the office park area SW of the 50/28 interchange), this commute would be about 45 minutes at peak commute time (7:30 - 9:00).

Now, I hope you don't also want any chain stores, fast food or big box stores near your home, too.....not going to happen in Middleburg.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:52 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,577 times
the closest historic town is probably Herndon, although I don't think it really hits all your requirements.

Fairfax would be next, although I think it also isn't right.

Leesburg and Middleburg are probably your best options, but properties in the historic areas might be hard to come by.

I like our neighborhood for its access to most of the amenities you mentioned within walking distance. It isn't a small town, but it feels very much like a throwback to the Brady Bunch era. We can hear the HS football games from our house, the homecoming parade goes right past our house, we can walk to the shopping center up the street to grocery shop, grab prescriptions, eat at one of the decent chain places. There are many days we do NOT get in our car. OK, probably mostly in the spring-fall - winter is much tougher just because I don't like to walk in the cold if I don't have to.

Good luck - I love the idea of a small town, too.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:12 AM

Thank you for the replies. We'd have a budget of 400-450K, 3-4 bedrooms. We're not terribly picky on style of home...location is more important. Middleburg looks charming as does Leesburg. I'll have to do some research.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:30 AM

A quick search for Middleburg schools makes it look like they aren't very good. As a prior public school teacher, I'd like to be able to send my children to a highly regarded public school. Anyone know if Middleburg is as bad as it seems? (I know from experience that test scores don't necessarily indicate quality schools, but do generally show trends.)

Old 01-19-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
A quick search for Middleburg schools makes it look like they aren't very good. As a prior public school teacher, I'd like to be able to send my children to a highly regarded public school. Anyone know if Middleburg is as bad as it seems? (I know from experience that test scores don't necessarily indicate quality schools, but do generally show trends.)
I do not have children, so I'm not looking to debate anyone on the quality of schools here, but Blue Ridge Middle schools and Loudoun Valley HS both get a 9 on Greatschools.com. From what I read here, many people place a lot of value in those rankings. Middleburg Elementary only received a 6, but I think it is important to note that the current enrollment is 50 kids in the whole school. I can't imagine any child not receiving the attention they need with such small enrollment.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the replies. We'd have a budget of 400-450K, 3-4 bedrooms. We're not terribly picky on style of home...location is more important. Middleburg looks charming as does Leesburg. I'll have to do some research.
Walkable, historic, the best school districts, at least 3 bedrooms...and your budget is 450K? You will have to compromise somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia