Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:27 AM

43 posts, read 103,781 times

Advertisements

I have two children, ages 4 and 8, so a decent public school is a must. Safe neighborhoods with a strong community feel is important also. Will be living on 100k a year. Where do I look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 12:17 PM

163 posts, read 314,599 times
More information needed. Will you want to rent or buy? Is proximity to public transportation into DC important? How long of a commute can be tolerated? Is having a yard important? How many bedrooms do you desire?

Old 05-22-2012, 12:49 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,151 times
My husband is about to take a new job (with his old company) down there. We live in Western Fairfax near Chantilly HS and Library - yeah, I wouldn't recommend that commute, but we can't move at this point (just bought last year!) On the plus side, it will be a commute against traffic.

I think if we were buying NOW, we'd probably look at Montclair area in Prince William. Or, if we needed to stay in Fairfax, maybe Springfield or Lorton areas?

Old 05-22-2012, 02:54 PM

393 posts, read 1,202,386 times
I would live north of Quantico so as to have a reverse commute. I commuted from Springfield to Quantico and it was a snap in the morning and the evening.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newvadad View Post
More information needed. Will you want to rent or buy? Is proximity to public transportation into DC important? How long of a commute can be tolerated? Is having a yard important? How many bedrooms do you desire?
We are open to buying or renting. We do not need public transportation into Dc, he'll be working in Quantico. He is willing to commute if it means great schools and a safe neighborhood. A yard would be a plus. Looking for a three bedroom.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kembek View Post
I would live north of Quantico so as to have a reverse commute. I commuted from Springfield to Quantico and it was a snap in the morning and the evening.
How long would you say? Someone else recommended Springfield.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:40 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mla2177 View Post
How long would you say? Someone else recommended Springfield.
I would think it would be around 30 minutes. It takes me about 15 to get from Springfield to the Woodbridge area. Probably 15 minutes from Woodbridge to get down to the gate at Quantico (that's what it takes me on the weekend and I live in the more southern part of Woodbridge).

Old 05-23-2012, 02:50 PM

722 posts, read 1,922,494 times
I would look in the Ashland neighborhood along rt. 234 and other surrounding areas. I've heard excellent things about Ashland elementary. They are in the process of rezoning the school districts though, so look carefully at that before committing yourself.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:45 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
It's about 30 minutes to the gate from here in Mount Vernon and you'd be in the Fairfax County school system. Not many rentals around here right now though.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:22 PM

163 posts, read 314,599 times
The further out you look, the more you get.

I live in Gainesville and make the trip to Quantico in about 40 minutes. There are a options in Stafford, south of MCBQ if you want to buy, but I'm not sure about the schools. Woodbridge has some new development too and is close to base.
My observation is that the route 1 corridor is very heavily traveled and prone to traffic tie-ups that can ruin a commute and make just average travel to the store a nightmare so take that into account. Looking in the Montclair, Dale City, Dumfries, Triangle and Aquia Harbor areas might be fruitful too. Looking west, Manassas is really not that far away and expanding your search to that section of the county might give you more options.
My advice, if you don't plan on staying in the area for more than one tour (three years I presume) I suggest renting because the real estate market, although robust will probably not provide an opportunity to break-even over such a short time. We learned that the hard way.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia