Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 05:40 AM

15 posts, read 41,314 times

Advertisements

My A/C is not working. When I turn it on it blows warm air but I noticed that the equipment that is outside (dont know the name) isnt working. I called a technician that I found on the internet and he said it was the compressor and this might cost $2,200. I was thinking on getting a second opinion and I called TJ Fannon in Alexandria and they charge me $150 for the visit...I paid $60 to the previous guy. What should I do? I dont want people to take advantage of me. I would really really appreciate any recommendations/ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 05:51 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lati85 View Post
My A/C is not working. When I turn it on it blows warm air but I noticed that the equipment that is outside (dont know the name) isnt working. I called a technician that I found on the internet and he said it was the compressor and this might cost $2,200. I was thinking on getting a second opinion and I called TJ Fannon in Alexandria and they charge me $150 for the visit...I paid $60 to the previous guy. What should I do? I dont want people to take advantage of me. I would really really appreciate any recommendations/ideas.
Ok...have someone look at it again before you pay 2,200 for a new compressor. Check to see if:
Any ice on the lines outside? If so, check to see if perhaps you have the guage/thermostat inside set any lower than 68. When you do this the refrigerant turns to a liquid and it will make frost/ice on the lines and you will blow hot air. Recently, we had our central air serviced and the guy told us to keep our thermostat for the unit at 70 and no lower than 68 especially when we have extremely hot weather.
How old is the unit? When was the last time you had it serviced? We have a contract to have both our AC and furnace serviced every year.
Make sure you check the levels of refrigerant in the unit as well.
If you do find ice on the lines outside, be sure to let the service person know this. The last time it happened to us, we got ice outside as well as on some lines inside and had to wait for everything to thaw out before the service person could start things up again.
Good luck with this. The weather has been so horribly hot, your AC could be working overtime for sure and if it is old...a real strain on the system.
Note: I showed my husband your post. I do understand some of the "stuff" we have to maintain here in our home, but wanted to get his take on this as well.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:04 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,132,491 times
It could be as simple as a fuse on the outside compressor that blew. Those are cheap, less than $5-$10. It could be all kinds of things though, even the expensive compressor like one guy mentioned. If you don't trust the opinions from the techs, get another.

Last year my outside AC unit stopped working too. I checked the fuse and it was still good. I flipped the circuit breaker and reset, hoping that would "jolt" things back, but no dice. I called up Woody's Sudden Service out in Manassas and they had a guy out the next day. It ended up that some bug short circuited the patch panel. So for about $200 including the "dispatch fee" my AC unit was fixed. The guy could have taken me for a lot more because my AC unit is really old, but he was honest and I appreciated that. Guess who I'll be calling next time I need it serviced or replaced?

Old 07-19-2012, 06:36 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
You don't say where you are. In Manassas there is a company called E E Wine that we've used for years. Very good reputation and locally owned.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:29 AM

810 posts, read 1,025,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lati85 View Post
Earlier in the summer I had the same problem (same symptoms too). It turned out that the compressor is indeed broken and I decided the replace the whole a/c (best decision looking back now!). It may or may not be the case with you.

The guys at Baron Sweeps took care of everything and the price was reasonable, if you like you should call them up to see what they say (they have free estimates):

BARONSWEEPS - Home

Hope everything works out for you. It's very hot these days

Old 07-19-2012, 07:53 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,317,332 times
Try to use a company that is referred to you, A/C companies can be the biggest ripoffs. I read an article recently where they had a compressor with a simple problem(which they created themselves) and had 6 companies look at it and all 6 overcharged, some grossly. If the first company comes back with an expensive quote get another, doesn't hurt to get a couple for comparison purposes.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:15 AM

301 posts, read 691,586 times
I second Woody's Sudden Service. OP -- I had the same issue as you last year (warm air blowing, outdoor unit not working)...see the thread below.

Recommend AC repair?

Old 07-19-2012, 09:06 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,106,093 times
We had a similar problem last year and I know we didn't pay anything close to that amount. I suggest you call Residential Systems Inc.: Northern Virginia Heating & Cooling - RESIDENTIAL SYSTEMS INC.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:43 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,219,145 times
If you would like I am an experienced Hvac technician and can take a look at it for you. I'm very reasonable and honest in my work and have references. Feel free to message me it could be a lot of things. Companies normally say compressors to get the people to buy new units when they don't need one.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:59 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
Do not call FH Furr - they are the biggest ripoff ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia