Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 08:51 AM

11 posts, read 43,754 times

Advertisements

So I had recently posted trying to decided which job to take and rather than carry the discussion on, I figured I would post a new topic. I'm trying to figure out which area to live in now.

I will most likely be working in DC. I am trying to keep a budget at or around $2200/month. I have 2 boys (ages 2 and 5) who will be home-schooled. My wife is looking for a neighborhood that is "family-centric."

Upon a referral, I've reached out to a Realtor who is focused on the Burke/Springfield area, but I was looking at Lake Ridge and saw some nice homes. However, I know that I'd be looking at a commute-cost. With Reston, I'd be looking at tolls and a higher rent.

So I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't overlooking anything or if there was any feedback I should know about.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 08:57 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
I think if you can find something in your price range, I would focus on Burke Springfield. That's going to be the best DC commute.

I wonder if you will get anything decent in Reston for that price?

I live near Lake Ridge, it is nice, it is family centric, and would work with your budget. If you were relying on public transportation (bus, VRE, carpool) it is not a bad commute. Single rider during the "popular" work times can be a bear.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:16 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times
Any idea where your project will be located? Is it for sure downtown? It sounded before like you were in a pretty niche sector, where you may be in one place long term. My husband has been on Deloitte projects in Bethesda, Reston, Falls Church, and has now been in Alexandria for the past 2 years. Interestingly, he's never worked downtown.

Some of the commutes were AWFUL. I would not want to live in Reston and commute to Alexandria each day. Nor would I want to live in Lake Ridge and commute to Reston. Public transportation isn't an option in those areas (since the commuter trains/buses/etc all head downtown, not suburb to suburb).

Any chance you will find out a location before you have to commit to housing?

If you have no idea where you're working, I'd look at Springfield/Burke/Kingstowne as you should be able to find something (though it may be a townhouse) in all those areas, and it's slightly more central than Reston or Lake Ridge should you end up on a project in the burbs instead of downtown. There are also public transportation options if you do go downtown (the metro near Kingstowne/Springfield, and the VRE in Burke, plus slug lines in both locations).

Old 08-10-2012, 09:38 AM

11 posts, read 43,754 times
Hey, no, I'm not positive about the project since the one I was talked to about was still in pre-award stage. It would be nice to know for certain, right?...at least for the first project. I'm being brought on knowing that I'll be put on a project, though, so that is a positive thing. The only word I got was that all of the projects were in Northern Virginia/DC Metro area...and could potentially be in Silver Spring.

I was thinking about Reston knowing that the metro is suppose to extend out there in Dec 2013. But I'm not sure if I should hold my breath for it opening on time. Plus, like I said in my previous post, I plan to relocate myself if I find an opportunity at the end of 2 years.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:06 AM

437 posts, read 1,229,158 times
If commuting into DC is important, definitely Burke/Springfield. Otherwise it's a dead heat, those areas are pretty comparable as to family housing.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:13 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times
I'm going to second and third the Burke/Springfield recommendations. It's closer to DC. Shortening your commute should always be priority #1 in the DC area.

Also I live in Springfield and I really like it. Very quiet (a little boring for my single self sometimes) and perfect for families.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:27 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,725,126 times
Agree with the others re: Burke/Springfield. Of the three, that's the best commute into DC and Silver Spring. Another option might be Burke/Annandale near an express bus (to the Pentagon) route, but even that wouldn't be great if you need to be car-centric.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:51 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times
I vote Burke Springfield too... of course I am biased because I live here. I drive to DC sometimes and it's not all that bad--but you can also take the metro in if you like.

Off topic (and I don't home school) but every now and then I run across homeschooling resources. someone here gave me a link to Parktakes: Parktakes Online*- Fairfax County, Virginia. If you go there and enter "homeschool" in the keyword search, it brings up some homeschool resources. There are swimming classes offered in Springfield for homeschoolers and a meteorology class for 5-year-olds in nearby Annandale.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:01 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,845 times
Most of the jobs in the area are along 267, 270 in MD, or in DC/Silver Spring/Arlington/Alexandria.

Springfield is pretty isolated from "where the jobs are" and is more oriented to going downtown -- this is fine if you'll be working most of the time in and immediately around DC. But if you're just as likely to head out to Gaithersburg, Tysons, or Ashburn -- Reston is probably your best bet.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:11 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Most of the jobs in the area are along 267, 270 in MD, or in DC/Silver Spring/Arlington/Alexandria.

Springfield is pretty isolated from "where the jobs are" and is more oriented to going downtown -- this is fine if you'll be working most of the time in and immediately around DC. But if you're just as likely to head out to Gaithersburg, Tysons, or Ashburn -- Reston is probably your best bet.
Springfield is not isolated. In-fact is sits right at the apex of 95-395-495. With access to 395 north into the Arlington-Pentagon-DC, access east 495 to the Wilson Bridge-Alexandria and PG county, Maryland. West on 495-Mclean-Vienna-Cabin John Bridge-Montgomery County, Md.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia