Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 04:49 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,722,491 times

Advertisements

I live on a street that intersects a major thoroughfare. Most weekdays on the way home from work, I come up the street behind us and lap the block, so that my car will be pointed the right way on our street when I park in front of our house. Like anyone else making the turn from the thoroughfare most times of day (especially at rush hour), I have to turn quickly (to avoid the oncoming cars in the other lanes)--but I always make sure to go very slowly once I've made the turn.

A new family moved onto that street a while back. For some reason, every day at this time, their kids are playing in the middle of the street. One of them looks to be about three years old. I'm always super-careful and go very slowly--but I'm afraid that one of these days, some contractor in a giant van or a delivery driver or just some distracted idiot is going to gun it to make the turn and run down one of their kids. Sometimes the parents are around, but many times I don't see 'em anywhere!

Why would parents let their kids do this? I'm pretty sure these folks have a driveway--and a large backyard. I rode my bike on the street as a kid, but not when I was three! And I sure as heck wasn't in the middle, just hanging out. I swear today there were three kids milling about there.

I've thought about saying something in an overly nice manner to the parents, but I have no doubt they'll get defensive and accuse me of being a meany. I've recently started raising my eyebrows and staring straight ahead in the "Ohmgodwhatareyouthinking" expression--but they just stare at me and don't wave or anything.

What could they be thinking? It's not like this street is a cul-de-sac! And there's a relatively spacious parking lot nearby.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 10-05-2012 at 04:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 04:55 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,682,874 times
I suggest calling the police department, telling them what time of day this happens, and asking that they drive out there at that time of day to warn that parents that this is a bad idea. They may decline, but if they will, that would probably have more impact than coming from an individual.

When my kids were young, the parents in the neighborhood used common sense, except for one family that let their four-year-old wander the neighborhood at will and just laughed off suggestions that maybe he should be reined in for his own good.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
I suggest calling the police department, telling them what time of day this happens, and asking that they drive out there at that time of day to warn that parents that this is a bad idea. They may decline, but if they will, that would probably have more impact than coming from an individual.
Thanks for the suggestion. You don't think that might be a little extreme? I mean, if common sense isn't getting the message through to 'em, would common sense delivered by police officer be any different?

And if I did do that, I'm guessing they'd figure it out and spread the word around the neighborhood. And then I'd be the Mean Neighbor, who "called the cops on toddlers."

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 10-05-2012 at 05:11 PM..

Old 10-05-2012, 05:20 PM

373 posts, read 870,157 times
Maybe next time you see it happen, walk the 3 year old to their house knock on the door and just tell the parent that their kid was playing in the middle of the street and you were worried because sometimes crazy teenagers drive through the neighborhood. Maybe framing it in a way that you are concerned about crazy teenagers might make the parent less defensive?

Old 10-05-2012, 05:29 PM

107 posts, read 167,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. You don't think that might be a little extreme? I mean, if common sense isn't getting the message through to 'em, would common sense delivered by police officer be any different?

And if I did do that, I'm guessing they'd figure it out and spread the word around the neighborhood. And then I'd be the Mean Neighbor, who "called the cops on toddlers."
It's not to extreme, those people shouldn't even be allowed to have kids. You're being responsible and looking out for those kids because you're a compassionate person. I would feel the same way you do.

If you call anonymously they wouldn't be able to figure it out. And if they did, who cares? You nor others should have to worry about hitting children in the middle of the street; THEY DON'T BELONG THERE!

Old 10-05-2012, 05:41 PM

Thanks, Spleuchan and RomaniGypsy'sWife!

Sometimes I feel like all my neighbors are insane, and the only sane people are you folks. I'm serious.

(I thought Roma didn't like calling the police?! We love that show American Gypsies.)

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 10-05-2012 at 06:37 PM..

Old 10-05-2012, 05:55 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,455,421 times
C, it may be uncomfortable if they react as you expect, but wouldn't you feel much worse if something DID happen to the innocent kids and you had NOT taken action to try to prevent it?

I would hope that the police would be responsive to your request that they not indicate that a neighbor has alerted them to the problem.

Good on ya for getting involved.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:10 PM

428 posts, read 1,114,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spleuchan View Post
Maybe next time you see it happen, walk the 3 year old to their house knock on the door and just tell the parent that their kid was playing in the middle of the street and you were worried because sometimes crazy teenagers drive through the neighborhood. Maybe framing it in a way that you are concerned about crazy teenagers might make the parent less defensive?
This. Then rinse and repeat.

But yeah, definitely do something. I'd dread doing it too, if I were you, but it would be awful if something happened to that poor kid. And maybe knowing that the nice neighbor is clearly giving them the side-eye for letting their three-year-old play in the middle of the street will encourage them to... oh, I dont know... supervise their front yard playtime?

Old 10-05-2012, 06:24 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,392,886 times
That is definitely a police matter. Next thing you know, they'll hook up with the local cookie distribution syndicate and will go door-to-door pushing their wares.

Seriously, you are being the responsible adult, and perhaps they need a responsible adult with a badge to pull the supposedly responsible people, who are supposed to take care of them, back into line. It is a very dangerous situation, and one that does require intervention before something happens to the children.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-05-2012, 06:28 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,584,890 times
Well, I can't really picture the street, so I'm not sure if you are talking about a busy street or a residential street. I live on a residential street and am guilty of letting my three year old play in the street (with the neighbor's kids). I do it because honestly, kids just like to play every place, and it's hard to keep them out of it if they are on their scooters, bikes, etc. Those things don't work well in the grass. Also, the grass is full of bugs and mosquitoes and is often wet, which also drives us into the road on many days. I don't leave him alone, though, I stand right there and watch for cars. However, if he had older siblings, maybe I wouldn't. Maybe we're all just bad parents, or maybe we're just tired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia