Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 03:57 PM

69 posts, read 121,659 times

Advertisements

My husband just received a tentative job offer in Reston with the Fed Gov. We are pretty sure we cant take the offer because we cant afford to live in the area but would like to consult a knowledgable Realtor before missing out on something we would really like. Job offer is around $63k/year. Everything I have found online seems way out of budget for us, owning and renting.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 04:10 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Are you planning on working as well? Supporting 2 people on a $63k salary will be difficult, but not impossible (so long as you aren't planning to add kids to the mix). You could find a 1 bedroom apartment for $1300-1400 within decent commuting distance, and so long as you are careful with pennies and are okay driving older cars (or sharing a car) and not eating out every night, you can probably make it work. Numerous recent grads live on $35k salaries, so you'd basically be doing that (2 people on twice the salary).

Housing is the only thing that's drastically more expensive here. Gas and food prices are marginally higher than elsewhere, but it should be fairly easy to draft up a budget and see if you're comfortable with the numbers.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:31 PM

69 posts, read 121,659 times
Sorry I should have included that. We have a 2 year old so working is not an option for me right now. Ive been checking surrounding area but seems we can only make it work with like an hour commute. Thats what he does now and what we were trying to avoid. :/

Old 10-09-2012, 04:42 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,961,642 times
Is it just you and your husband, or do you have children? Are you planning on working also? If it is just the two of you, you could find a 1 bedroom apartment close enough for a reasonable commute to Reston that will be affordable if you are not making large car or student loan payments. Don't consider buying a home until you get to know the area, that will take 6 months to a year. You can search on Homes for Sale and Rent in DC, Maryland, Virginia | HomesDatabase.com for rentals, start out with Reston/Herndon/Sterling and then ask questions on this site about areas of interest. You will find people on this forum very helpful for the most part.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:49 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandieandangel View Post
Sorry I should have included that. We have a 2 year old so working is not an option for me right now. Ive been checking surrounding area but seems we can only make it work with like an hour commute. Thats what he does now and what we were trying to avoid. :/

Based on that, I would probably not take a $63K job offer. While the federal government jobs are secure, there haven't been raises in 2 years and you won't know how quickly he can jump to the higher grade. In others words, there's a very real chance that you can't even count on any good income jumps in the near future.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:50 PM

105 posts, read 199,760 times
Here's the real question: Does this offer have an actual entry on duty date attached?

Many agencies are continuing to offer qualified applicants future positions- with a future, to be determined, start date. Is there funding for this job this FY? Does the position require a clearance or other pre-employment screening that only begins upon the acceptance of the offer?

If it's for a future position, there's no reason not to accept the offer and start that long road towards an EOD date. Circumstances frequently change- and that buys you time to figure out how to make it work for your family.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:28 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
It'd be tough to make it here on that income alone--but then you could live farther west (in rural VA), and he could commute to Reston in the early mornings. The only problem there I think would be that there won't be many rentals in rural VA.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:46 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,867,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Based on that, I would probably not take a $63K job offer. While the federal government jobs are secure, there haven't been raises in 2 years and you won't know how quickly he can jump to the higher grade. In others words, there's a very real chance that you can't even count on any good income jumps in the near future.
Think you need to know more about the job and the OP's husband to make that call. In the federal gov't, plenty of professional jobs are GS-11/14 where you start out at $63K and get easy yearly grade increases until you hit GS-14. That means it is possible, depending on the agency and job in particular, that you could be making over $100K in 3 years. This is especially true for technical fields that require advanced degrees.

I started at GS-11 straight from grad school and was a GS-13 in 18 months, my pay went from $47K to $74K (this was 10 years ago). A year later I quit to go into the private sector right before I got my GS-14. I struggled at the beginning, but was doing OK in a couple of years. Spreading my student loan payments from 10 years repayment to 25 years basically increased my cash flow so I wasn't living paycheck to paycheck. When I got the GS-13, I put back the 10 year repayment plan and my loans have since been paid off.

None of that would have happened if I didn't move to this area and take advantage of the tremendous amount of job opportunities and careers paths that are available here that aren't readily available elsewhere.

Anyways, I'd recommend Centreville and Herndon and as a couple of places with affordable rents, especially if you are renting from a homeowner or condo owner. There are a ton of condo and townhouse complexes in those areas that are OK starter places.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:19 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
Think you need to know more about the job and the OP's husband to make that call. In the federal gov't, plenty of professional jobs are GS-11/14 where you start out at $63K and get easy yearly grade increases until you hit GS-14. That means it is possible, depending on the agency and job in particular, that you could be making over $100K in 3 years. This is especially true for technical fields that require advanced degrees.

Of course, and I hope she chimes in and makes that information available. If her husband's scenario is just as you described, then I would encourage them to make it work. We all have our own perspectives and in the agency I work for there are no GS 11through14 jobs where promotions are automatic.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:27 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
If you can find an 11/14 position, stay in it! Most 14s I've seen are either 14 only or are a 13/14 position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia