Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 02:25 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clavinovahan View Post
FCNova, you are lucky. lots value in part of falls church (haycock/longfellow/mclean 22046) are already as high as Mclean based on county record. In this case, perhaps, it is smart to buy mclean zip code. .
We ended up buying in Vienna. But you are right 22046 can be expensive. More expensive than Pimmit Hills generally. Pimmit Hills is a fine neighborhood though if you end up there. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 02:33 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
The fact that Pimmit Hills is near Tysons and a future Metro station is not a secret, so I think it's likely that prices already reflect that. Another positive for the neighborhood is that it's the least expensive neighborhood of single-family homes that feeds into Marshall HS, which now pretty consistently has test scores in the top quarter of FCPS high schools, excluding TJ.

If you want to get a glimpse of Pimmit Hills' immediate-term future, some of the areas off of Westmoreland Road in Falls Church (22043 zip code in Fairfax County, south of Kirby Road) provide a pretty good indication. These areas are nicer than Pimmit Hills, in my opinion, but they've gone through a similar transition in recent years, with the housing now a mix of original homes, original homes with additions, and tear-downs.

As Hilsmom noted, plenty of other threads out there about Pimmit Hills, on C-D and elsewhere. I can't speak to your post, of course, but I get the impression that there are some home flippers in that area who are going out of their way to try and generate publicity about the area.

Good luck.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:15 PM

9 posts, read 18,898 times
Thanks a lot for your post JEB77. Very interesting, I compared below two houses, one from pimmit hills - on the back of pimmit library and the other from south of kirby road, wow, there is 150K difference , both are in 22043 and 0.3 area though. Please give some comments!

Moderator cut: Please post links that are from a generic real estate website, not a sponsored site.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-24-2012 at 12:05 AM.. Reason: Removed links to sponsored RE site

Old 10-24-2012, 02:58 PM

The two houses, all around 0.33 area and in 22043 zipcode.
The house at haycock/longfellow/mclean is listed at 550K.
The house at westgate/kilmer/Marshall district is located behind tyson library, it is listed for 400K.

150 K difference, which one has more potential?

Old 10-24-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
The two houses, all around 0.33 area and in 22043 zipcode.
The house at haycock/longfellow/mclean is listed at 550K.
The house at westgate/kilmer/Marshall district is located behind tyson library, it is listed for 400K.

150 K difference, which one has more potential?
Looks like they were both being marketed primarily as tear downs, and are both now under contract, so who knows?

The first house was within walking distance of Haycock Elementary and the West Falls Church Metro, and it would probably be easier for someone to build a new house on that location for more than $1M and sell it relatively quickly than over by the Tysons-Pimmit Library. Some of the apartment complexes near Tysons-Pimmit don't have a great reputation, but there are also new townhouses going up near Marshall HS that are selling quickly at $750K or so, so I could see a builder constructing a new house in that area in the $825-900K price range. I know some people think Pimmit Hills has more upside than pricier parts of West Falls Church, but I don't think the second location you mentioned will be as close to a Metro station after the Silver Line is finished as the first house already is to the WFC station.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by JD984; 10-24-2012 at 04:40 PM..

Old 10-24-2012, 07:18 PM

I just noticed that they both were under contract. very quick sales.

Seems like the tyson pimmit hill house is also walking distance to metro stations.

West Falls Church metro Tyson/Mclean/123 station

550K house 1.3 miles 3.5 miles
Tyson Pimmit House 1.7 miles 1.8 miles

Old 10-25-2012, 09:25 AM

As for rebuild both houses, it may cost more than 500K. So owner's cost for the one in Mclean district will definitely reach 1M which includes lot and rebuild cost. In this case, it might be smart to think about Mclean zipcode house other than falls church one.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
As for rebuild both houses, it may cost more than 500K. So owner's cost for the one in Mclean district will definitely reach 1M which includes lot and rebuild cost. In this case, it might be smart to think about Mclean zipcode house other than falls church one.
There are quite a few areas in West Falls Church/22043 (in both the McLean and Marshall HS pyramids) where new houses go on the market for more than $1M. Some of the areas off Idylwood Road in 22043 zoned for Marshall are good examples.

My comment was really directed at the area close to the Tysons-Pimmit Library or Pimmit Hills, where my sense is that, if someone builds a new house and tries to put in on the market for over a million, he runs a significant risk that it will sit for an very long time. That may change down the road, but I think that's why you don't see some of the higher-end custom builders who put up homes in Arlington, McLean, Vienna or other parts of West Falls Church (Sekas, Tradition Homes, JDL, Madison Homes, Buchanan-Price, Morris-Day, Coda Construction, Wetherburne Homes, etc.) venturing into Pimmit Hills yet. I think some people who've bought there recently, though, have been hiring somewhat less expensive builders like ANV and New Dimensions.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:59 AM

Thanks a lot JEB77 for your great inputs.
I have visited the model houses from ANV and NDI, already fell in love with those houses . Perhaps, the Pimmit hill is the last affordable place near tyson corner at this stage, which can built a nice custom 4500 sqft house under 900K. It is better deal than buying the new townhouse (750K) near Marshall high. Someone might laugh and say another Mcmasion .

Old 10-26-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks a lot JEB77 for your great inputs.
I have visited the model houses from ANV and NDI, already fell in love with those houses . Perhaps, the Pimmit hill is the last affordable place near tyson corner at this stage, which can built a nice custom 4500 sqft house under 900K. It is better deal than buying the new townhouse (750K) near Marshall high. Someone might laugh and say another Mcmasion .
I think the phrase is "living well is the best revenge." What's important is what works best for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia