Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 04:21 PM

18 posts, read 30,188 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of buying a small house in Pimmit Hills. Due to the small lot typical in Pimmit Hills, should I be concerned as a potential buyer that my neighbors might get very noisy when the weather becomes good? Should I be worried about drunk parties late at night in summer time? Can anyone share their experiences? Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 07:12 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,315,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCbuyer View Post
I am in the process of buying a small house in Pimmit Hills. Due to the small lot typical in Pimmit Hills, should I be concerned as a potential buyer that my neighbors might get very noisy when the weather becomes good? Should I be worried about drunk parties late at night in summer time? Can anyone share their experiences? Many thanks.
If noise and younger residents are an issue, I would say you have concern. Tysons/Pimmit is undergoing a huge transformation to become more urban. You are at ground level right now, if you do not want to live next to a city, I would say it isn't the wisest choice to buy in Pimmit

If you want good jobs within walking/biking distance and metro accessibility and are not worried about being next to other people in an urban environment, then I would say Pimmit is a great buy

Old 02-19-2013, 08:04 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
If noise and younger residents are an issue, I would say you have concern. Tysons/Pimmit is undergoing a huge transformation to become more urban. You are at ground level right now, if you do not want to live next to a city, I would say it isn't the wisest choice to buy in Pimmit

If you want good jobs within walking/biking distance and metro accessibility and are not worried about being next to other people in an urban environment, then I would say Pimmit is a great buy
I thought the Pimmit Hills residents successfully fought to maintain the current SFH zoning of their neighborhood. They weren't interested in having the SFHs replaced with condos and apartment buildings. So it may be close to an urbanizing area, but it's still going to be a SFH residential neighborhood.

I think the OP's question really went to whether the owners and renters of the SFHs in Pimmit Hills are particularly noisy. As to that question, I don't think there's an obvious answer, since it could depend on the specific block and neighbors. I've driven through PH at night and it's not exactly one big party. A lot of the people there have to put their kids to bed at night and get up for work in the morning.

Last edited by JD984; 02-19-2013 at 09:20 AM..

Old 02-19-2013, 08:44 AM

244 posts, read 565,418 times
I am not sure how much development Pimmit Hills is going to see if they remain a predominantly SFH community. The homes are old and the lots are small. The area is cheap for a reason. It's going to take decades for the lots to be bought up one by one and rebuilt.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:21 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,315,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I thought the Pimmit Hills residents successfully fought to maintain the current SFH zoning of their neighborhood. They weren't interested in having the SFHs replaced with condos and apartment buildings. So it may be close to an urbanizing area, but it's still going to be a SFH residential neighborhood.

I think the OP's question really went to whether the owners and renters of the SFHs in Pimmit Hills are particularly noisy. As to that question, I don't think there's an obvious answer, since it could depend on the specific block and neighbors. I've driven through PH at night and it's not exactly one big party. A lot of the people there have to put their kids to bed at night and get up for work in the morning.
They did. However they will also be about a quarter mile away from very expansive urbanization. While the zoning and housing selection might remain the same in pimmit, what will likely happen is many of these house will begin being rented out as 3 or 4 person units to post grads and 20 somethings who want to live close to where they work. That will ultimately create something that the OP likely is against. So I am directing him, if he doesnt want to live in an urban area, or adjacent to one, where noise will be a reality then Pimmit is not a good long term solution for him.

I use many neighborhoods along Route 29 as an example in Arlington. Same thing happens there. One person decides to retire but hold onto the house as a rental, rents out for 2500-3000 per month to 4 college/post college types who enjoy being in their 20s. Neighbors who still own and live next door get annoyed and so begins the war of attrition of development. You can fight redevelopment, but all you get is a different effect with different circumstances. Such is the free market and living in a job center.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:43 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
They did. However they will also be about a quarter mile away from very expansive urbanization. While the zoning and housing selection might remain the same in pimmit, what will likely happen is many of these house will begin being rented out as 3 or 4 person units to post grads and 20 somethings who want to live close to where they work. That will ultimately create something that the OP likely is against. So I am directing him, if he doesnt want to live in an urban area, or adjacent to one, where noise will be a reality then Pimmit is not a good long term solution for him.

I use many neighborhoods along Route 29 as an example in Arlington. Same thing happens there. One person decides to retire but hold onto the house as a rental, rents out for 2500-3000 per month to 4 college/post college types who enjoy being in their 20s. Neighbors who still own and live next door get annoyed and so begins the war of attrition of development. You can fight redevelopment, but all you get is a different effect with different circumstances. Such is the free market and living in a job center.
Maybe - I really don't know. Pimmit Hills has long had a fair number of rentals. What I've noticed happening in PH lately are more teardowns and a better quality of new SFH construction, more akin to what you might come across in Vienna Woods in the Town of Vienna and some parts of Arlington.

Guess it depends on whether the owners want to cash out or want a stream of rental income. Obviously if someone just decides to rent out an old house in Pimmit Hills to a group of 20-somethings, it may be less noticeable when just driving through the area.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:57 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
I thought the Pimmit Hills residents successfully fought to maintain the current SFH zoning of their neighborhood.
That is my impression as well. Its specifically zoned to preserve the suburban character - not only the SFHs in the residential blocks, but I don't think the County will be allowing dense mixed use on the non-residential properties on Rte 7.

The changes to Pimmit Hills most likely, IIUC, are more by right construction of relatively large SFHs on relatively small lots. If I were looking for the bucolic but close in lifestyle, I might find that more disturbing than a couple of mixed use developments on Rte 7 - but then its a lot easer to stop rezoning then it is to stop something the old zoning allows by right, regardless of which is actually more disruptive.

There is also likely to be significant increases in both transit and SOV traffic on rte 7 as development not only continues on Tysons, but in Falls Church and in Baileys/SevenCorners. Whether thats a plus or minus for residents of Pimmit Hills, I do not know.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:59 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Guess it depends on whether the owners want to cash out or want a stream of rental income. Obviously if someone just decides to rent out an old house in Pimmit Hills to a group of 20-somethings, it may be less noticeable when just driving through the area.
It will be particularly interesting when the oldest of the 'teardowns' age and become group houses. But thats quite some time in the future, I guess.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:51 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
I don't see PH becoming a huge rental market for 20-somethings--unless it ends up being a place for young renters who work in Tysons.

Re. McMansions: I live near a bunch of them, and while I find them ugly, their residents are extremely quiet. You almost never see them. If I had to choose between McMansions on the block and multifamily units, I'd hold my nose and pick (no pun intended!) the former.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:57 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
I think Pimmit Hills is pretty tame nowadays. Not always so....in the 60's and 70's, Dickie Scarborough, prez of the Pagans motorsickle club lived on Pimmit Dr.

PH was sort of the headquarters of the Pagans in those days. These were some seriously bad guys and yes, they liked to party....I ended up at the house one night. Phew, not for the faint of heart.

I most definitely would not have advised asking those guys to turn the music down...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia