Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 05:50 PM

4 posts, read 8,407 times

Advertisements

I have a house in Ashland community (234/spriggs rd), prefer rent to military family. It's less than 10 miles to Quantico and 3 miles to the commuter lot to Petagon/DC.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:10 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
I don't think you can say who you prefer to rent to. I'd post it on militarybyowner if you want mostly military folks to see it. Or advertise on craigslist all the pluses for being so close to military installations.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:17 PM

Thanks for your advice!

Old 10-31-2012, 06:38 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,981 times
I'll second the recommendation to listing it on militarybyowner. The owners of the house we rent are not military and that's how we found our home.

Wen do you plan on listing it? In the military, our big window to move is in the summer. I've been on active duty for 19 years with 8 moves and every one has been in the summer.
However, the Dec-Jan timeframe is also another window---- can transition kids from one school to another between the 1st and 2nd half of the school year. That's not to say we don't move during all months but you won't see the high level of activity that is normal in the summer. One advantage for this area is the high number of active duty.

Do be aware of one factor--- there is a big difference in housing allowance between Quantico and the DC area. If you price it based upon Washington DC values, you might price a lot of folks out who are stationed at Quantico. To put it in perspective, if I was stationed at Quantico, my housing allowance would be about $1000 less per month.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:18 PM

560 posts, read 1,292,055 times
If you gave a 20% discount for military, then you’d probably end up renting to military. Not sure if there is any problem with doing that.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:25 PM

Thanks for your detail information! The house will be available next month. Actually I noticed the difference of the BHA in different base. The closest base to the house is Quantico, but there's a commuter lot (bus to Pentagon) within 3 miles, I don't know if this helps. Thanks again!

Old 10-31-2012, 08:00 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I don't think you can say who you prefer to rent to. I'd post it on militarybyowner if you want mostly military folks to see it. Or advertise on craigslist all the pluses for being so close to military installations.
You actually can if you are renting your own home and you are not a landlord with more than 4 properties. That is my understanding after reading the laws when renting our home out this past spring.

OP, you should list it on AHRN if you want only military: ahrn.com We got pretty good response from there. I actually didn't get as much response on militarybyowner.com as I would have thought, and they charge for listing. ahrn does not charge. You can list it there first and see what happens and then go to military by owner if you don't have many bites. We ultimately found our tenants through craigslist, though.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:01 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,981 times
Our basic allowance for housing (BAH) is determined where we work/stationed, not where we live. Not to say someone who is going to be stationed at the Pentagon/DC area would not live in the Dumfries area but you're more likely to find a Quantico Marine family (and possibly an Army family from FT Belvoir). With that being said, the Marine family has a lower housing allowance (FT Belvoir BAH is based off the DC area). Simple economics--- most military families are not willing to have steep out of pocket expenses for a rental home because they still need to cover utilities, etc.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:12 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
You actually can if you are renting your own home and you are not a landlord with more than 4 properties. That is my understanding after reading the laws when renting our home out this past spring.
Interesting! Can you specify "no kids" or "families only, no roommates" or "over 30 only" or anything like that too if it's only your own house?

Old 10-31-2012, 08:25 PM

Sorry I'm kind new to this rental business, I appreciat everybody's advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia