U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-01-2012, 05:29 PM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 27,013,351 times
Reputation: 6824

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
If you're voting absentee in person, you apply to vote absentee just before you vote. Deadline for that is Nov. 3rd.

The deadline to apply for absentee voting by mail has passed though- it was Oct. 30th.
Yes. I mis-read the rules on that but went back and see that you are correct. I have someone in my family who qualifies for it so have a keen interest. Here are the voting locations in Fairfax County:

FAIRFAX COUNTY GOVERNMENT CENTER EXTENDED VOTING HOURS:
Wednesday Oct. 31st, Thursday Nov. 1st and Friday Nov. 2nd: 8am to 8pm
Saturday, Nov. 3rd: 8am to 5pm
12000 Government Center Pkwy. Suite 323
Fairfax, VA 22035
SATELLITE VOTING LOCATIONS EXTENDED VOTING HOURS:
Wednesday Oct. 31st, Thursday Nov. 1st and Friday Nov. 2nd: 12pm to 8pm
Saturday, Nov. 3rd: 8am to 5pm
Franconia Governmental Center, 6121 Franconia Road, Alexandria
Mason Governmental Center, 6507 Columbia Pike, Annandale
Dolley Madison Library, 1244 Oak Ridge Avenue, McLean
Mount Vernon Governmental Center, 2511 Parkers Lane, Alexandria
North County Human Services Building, 1850 Cameron Glen Drive, Reston
Sully Governmental Center, 4900 Stonecroft Boulevard, Chantilly
West Springfield Governmental Center, 6140 Rolling Road, Springfield
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-02-2012, 01:50 PM
 
2,980 posts, read 3,712,820 times
Reputation: 1650
So outside the metro stops people have been handing out early voting flyers that say things like "Work in DC? Work in Fairfax? Vote Early!"

So my fiance and I went to vote early yesterday since it was more convenient for us. As we are filling out the paperwork we see that we have to have some valid excuse to vote early and provide supporting documentation.

I tell the lady there's a good chance I'll be working past 7pm on election night but its not guaranteed. She says its a felony if I don't actually work past 7pm and I sign the document. Then I tell her I work in DC and she says that is a completely acceptable excuse to vote early and to fill in a specific code.

My fiance on the other hand, works in Fairfax and has a deadline due next week so she said she would be working past 7pm as her excuse to vote early. They also make you write the name of your employer. Her paperwork was screened and she was able to vote and everything, but now I'm worried that there may be some sort of follow up to make sure she actually worked an 11 hour day and past the poll closing time. Is this a valid concern or am I being paranoid?

Last edited by Cardiff Kook; 11-02-2012 at 02:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 01:55 PM
 
10,596 posts, read 12,088,527 times
Reputation: 6458
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
So outside the metro stops people have been handing out early voting flyers that say things like "Work in DC? Work in Fairfax? Vote Early!"

So my fiance and I went to vote early yesterday since it was more convenient for us. As we are filling out the paperwork we see that we have to have some valid excuse to vote early and provide supporting documentation.

I tell the lady there's a good chance I'll be working past 7pm on election night but its not guaranteed. She says its a felony if I don't actually work past 7pm and I sign the document. Then I tell her I work in DC and she says that its a completely acceptable excuse to vote early and to fill in a specific code.

My fiance on the other hand, works in Fairfax and has a deadline due next week so she said she would be working past 7pm as her excuse to vote early. They also make you write the name of your employer. Her paperwork was screened and she was able to vote and everything, but now I'm worried that there may be some sort of follow up to make sure she actually worked an 11 hour day and past the poll closing time. Is this a valid concern or am I being paranoid?

I'm sure that there will only be a concern if the state later feels like there has been some fraud. In that case, I would assume some investigation would be opened. I think the poll workers are just doing due diligence in stating the requirements and those requirements are meant to give you pause and keep you from being totally dishonest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 02:00 PM
 
2,980 posts, read 3,712,820 times
Reputation: 1650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I'm sure that there will only be a concern if the state later feels like there has been some fraud. In that case, I would assume some investigation would be opened. I think the poll workers are just doing due diligence in stating the requirements and those requirements are meant to give you pause and keep you from being totally dishonest.
I mean, on the flyer it said "Running errands outside of Arlington?"

If running errands outside of Arlington is a good enough reason to vote early I would think working 20 miles from your polling center in this area would be a good enough reason to vote early.

Also, I'm not sure how any of this would constitute fraud. If she winds up getting out early that day, so be it. There was no way for her to guarantee that would be the case. But its not like she is going to go vote a second time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 03:00 PM
 
10,596 posts, read 12,088,527 times
Reputation: 6458
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
I mean, on the flyer it said "Running errands outside of Arlington?"

If running errands outside of Arlington is a good enough reason to vote early I would think working 20 miles from your polling center in this area would be a good enough reason to vote early.

Also, I'm not sure how any of this would constitute fraud. If she winds up getting out early that day, so be it. There was no way for her to guarantee that would be the case. But its not like she is going to go vote a second time

No, I didn't mean that YOU were committing fraud. I meant that if the state of Virginia feels that something was amiss in early voting, in general, they may open an investigation up. As part of that investigation, your wife might be questioned about her reasons for voting early.

I think her reasons are totally valid. However, I personally think that if you work in DC and live in VA (as I do) you still have plenty of time to get the polls if you are working a regular 8.5 hour day. Certainly not with an 11 hour day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 03:06 PM
 
Location: New-Dentist Colony
5,738 posts, read 8,938,746 times
Reputation: 3857
Not voting early, but we are going to see President Obama and President Clinton at Jiffy Lube Live tomorrow! Alas, we'll have to sit through Dave Matthews first. Zzzzz......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 03:12 PM
 
10,596 posts, read 12,088,527 times
Reputation: 6458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Not voting early, but we are going to see President Obama and President Clinton at Jiffy Lube Live tomorrow! Alas, we'll have to sit through Dave Matthews first. Zzzzz......

I just heard about this today? Do you have to have tickets are do you just show up. It is a shame you have to endure DMB before you can get to the real fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Northern Virginia
251 posts, read 743,930 times
Reputation: 126
I think the rules aren't lenient enough. Why CAN'T someone vote early? Won't it decrease lines and tallying the day of?
I do qualify-I'm pregnant- but not THAT pregnant yet so I don't know what documentation they might require-do they want me to pee on a stick for them? LOL. For me, voting on an election day is much harder. My kids, like all others, will not be in school on election day. So they will have to stand in line with me for who knows how long. It's much easier for me to vote early while they're in school. Why isn't "parent with school age kids" an option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 03:36 PM
 
Location: New-Dentist Colony
5,738 posts, read 8,938,746 times
Reputation: 3857
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I just heard about this today? Do you have to have tickets are do you just show up. It is a shame you have to endure DMB before you can get to the real fun!
Sorry--just realized (after PM-ing you the link) that it's now waiting-list only.

I can just hear Bill croaking, "I sure hope Dave does that one song where he tells the girl to hike up her skirt a little more! Shucks! I sure love that one."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Central Maine
4,687 posts, read 5,519,319 times
Reputation: 4966
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I just heard about this today? Do you have to have tickets are do you just show up. It is a shame you have to endure DMB before you can get to the real fun!
My understanding is that there won't be any B - just DM. :-)

Tickets ... I got an email yesterday morning about it ... one of those "click here" and put your name in for a ticket to see Obama (and Clinton). I just checked, and it says "waiting list" at this point. I'm on their mailing list since I made some contributions to the campaign, as I did 4 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:21 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top