Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 11:45 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,459,561 times

Advertisements

It's one thing to have townhouses - it's another to pack way too many into one spot and not have adequate parking for them to add insult to injury. I think many communities in the NoVa area would have been better served by about 10% fewer TH's and 25% more parking spaces. Many people's homes are practically unvisitable. (I think I made up that last word...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 07:04 AM

979 posts, read 1,776,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
It's one thing to have townhouses - it's another to pack way too many into one spot and not have adequate parking for them to add insult to injury. I think many communities in the NoVa area would have been better served by about 10% fewer TH's and 25% more parking spaces. Many people's homes are practically unvisitable. (I think I made up that last word...)
This I definitely agree with. In my townhouse, we had 2 reserved spots per house. There were visitor spots around, but only maybe 5 visitor spots for 20 homes. That meant all the visitor spots were constantly filled by residents who had more than 2 vehicles. One of the reasons I REALLY wanted to move was that we had such a hard time when anyone came to visit. I was very fortunate that one of my neighbors had only one car and would often let us use his second spot for our guests, but if I had *gasp* both my parents and my sister over at the same time, we were stuck all over again. That's not even a party or dinner or gathering - that's just my immediate family visiting. Forget trying to host ANY kind of actual party.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:26 AM

564 posts, read 1,493,996 times
Quote:
I love the ones with a driveway long enough for one car, and a one car garage which can't fit a normal size car. Those communities often have even less parking than the parking space ones.

The parking (along with some of the other pluses of SFHs) was a major reason that drove me from buying a newer updated TH to an older, out of date SFH for about the same money. But obviously there are a lot of people who want new(er) and if you can't afford a very large house, you're going to be dealing with the TH drawbacks. Seems like plenty of people around here are perfectly willing.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:35 AM

136 posts, read 222,972 times
Quote:
Yeah, this is a legitimate complaint. Maybe we could enact some laws requiring a certain number of spots per townhouse? Fortunately, my community has two-car garages and there are 15-20 visitor spots right next to our place. Still, I notice that one of my neighbors with teenaged kids uses a visitor spot all the time. If we were ever short on visitor parking, this would definitely annoy me and others in the neighborhood.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:57 AM

979 posts, read 1,776,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC Merrifield View Post
Yeah, this is a legitimate complaint. Maybe we could enact some laws requiring a certain number of spots per townhouse?
There are such laws; they're just insufficient.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:28 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,459,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
There are such laws; they're just insufficient.
^^This. They should have been changed years ago (since the average cars/household has gone up drastically in the past several decades), but unfortunately any changes now would be impossible to retroactively modify TH communities. Might help out Loudoun though.

Not only are you a prisoner to your home from 4-7 PM most nights due to traffic, but even if you could get around, you can't visit half your friends because there's nowhere to park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia