Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 08:17 AM

939 posts, read 1,893,168 times

Advertisements

It's a new show about USSR spies living in the DC area in the 1980s as sleeper agents. Elliot in the Morning mentioned that it's actually filmed here, unlike Homeland (which is filmed in NC because it's cheaper, even for the DC scenes). Anyone know anything about this? Sounds like it could be a decent show, and would be cool to see some local sights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 08:36 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,577 times
what? Felicity is in my town? Where? I want to go hang with her - she seems like a cool chick.

here is a website that tells you where they do on location filming: The Americans Filming Locations

Haven't had a chance to expand some of the ones in my search yet, but another article I found said that they filmed in NYC last year for the initial episodes. I know Keri Russell lives there, so that makes sense.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:39 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,104 times
I hope they don't mess up the traffic too much. These Hollywood people come in here and act like they own the place sometimes

Old 01-16-2013, 10:07 AM

687 posts, read 1,377,448 times
Typically what they do for these Washington based shows is film a few scenes of the characters with recognizable buildings in the background (Capitol, White House, Lincoln Memorial) for "flavor" and then the other 95 percent of the show is filmed at a studio or in someplace like Toronto.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:11 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,104 times
I really don't know why they still do that, that can all be done with CGI nowadays. An actor could be standing in front a green screen in Culver city, and they could just CGI in the White House or Washington Monument in the background and it would look totally believable

Old 01-16-2013, 10:32 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
^^ LOL, one time I was watching one of those investigation shows that's supposed to take place in DC. NCIS, maybe. Anyway, the characters needed to meet someone in "Reston." I fell over laughing when I saw their version of "Reston." Apparently they think Reston is way out in the country and has some long road that never has any traffic. Also, there's nothing on either side of the road but big trees like you see in Canada surrounded by greyish, dense ferns.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
I really don't know why they still do that, that can all be done with CGI nowadays. An actor could be standing in front a green screen in Culver city, and they could just CGI in the White House or Washington Monument in the background and it would look totally believable
except for the most part, you can tell if they have done this.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
^^ LOL, one time I was watching one of those investigation shows that's supposed to take place in DC. NCIS, maybe. Anyway, the characters needed to meet someone in "Reston." I fell over laughing when I saw their version of "Reston." Apparently they think Reston is way out in the country and has some long road that never has any traffic. Also, there's nothing on either side of the road but big trees like you see in Canada surrounded by greyish, dense ferns.
was I the only one who noticed on Homeland when they said "On 50, East of Chantilly" for wherever Carrie was on the two road highway with trees surrounding her after she broke free from Nazir? I laughed out loud and said "That's just physically impossible"!

Old 01-16-2013, 11:08 AM

939 posts, read 1,893,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
was I the only one who noticed on Homeland when they said "On 50, East of Chantilly" for wherever Carrie was on the two road highway with trees surrounding her after she broke free from Nazir? I laughed out loud and said "That's just physically impossible"!
Yea, I also like how Brody was able to drive to gettysburg and back during the afternoon on a weekday...

Old 01-16-2013, 11:16 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,459,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Yea, I also like how Brody was able to drive to gettysburg and back during the afternoon on a weekday...
Well nothing can top the space-time impossibilities of 24. Did you know you can get anywhere in the greater LA area (I'm talking about 100 miles east-west, and 50 miles north-south) in 5 minutes, regardless of time of day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia