Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 11:42 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times

Advertisements

Strange that NoVA is supposedly so heavily DoD when it votes blue. I've worked in a DoD contracting environment and those folks vote heavily Republican. Makes one wonder if we over-estimate the size of that employment segment.

As for the comparison to Orange County, I agree it's more like South OC than North, however, we don't have the heavy numbers of religious conservatives and tax averse libertarians that cause that part of the county to vote relatively red compared to here. North OC votes blue due to larger numbers of Asians and Latinos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 11:47 AM

159 posts, read 277,966 times
Montgomery Co is similar to NVa. The Potomac River does make travel difficult but there are many similarities. However state gov is different. MD is center/left leaning with Mont Co conservative elements concentrated in areas and also in neighboring Frederick Co. VA is center/right leaning with Arl/FFx Cos left leaning mixed in with right leaning areas and neighboring PW and Loudon Cos.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:52 AM

I'm no New Yorker but White Plains seemed kind of similar the times I went there to business meetings. Perhaps someone from that area can confirm or deny.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:32 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,453,630 times
ILD, what is your evidence to support "we have high church attendance, high fertility, etc."?

I did a quick web search re: church attendance and found (a) self-reports typically overstate actual attendance; and (b) per a PowerPoint done by David T. Olson for TheAmericanChurch.com in 2004 (the first item resulting from the search), the rates of attendance for Northern VA are lower than those in other parts of VA and in many other states.

I think the areas within NoVA vary somewhat on these and other dimensions, e.g., of different types of diversity. So while some parts of Fairfax Co. and Loudoun Counties remind me of parts of some midwestern suburbs near where we once lived for several reasons, there weren't areas/populations there or in the cities that I would consider comparable to Arlington or the City of Alexandria.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
I did a quick web search re: church attendance and found (a) self-reports typically overstate actual attendance; and (b) per a PowerPoint done by David T. Olson for TheAmericanChurch.com in 2004 (the first item resulting from the search), the rates of attendance for Northern VA are lower than those in other parts of VA and in many other states.
Just from observation I'd say high church attendance is concentrated in certain ethnic groups. I'd say amongst the white upper middle class and younger adults it's pretty low.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:31 PM

939 posts, read 1,892,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Just from observation I'd say high church attendance is concentrated in certain ethnic groups. I'd say amongst the white upper middle class and younger adults it's pretty low.
Tell that to McLean bible church. That place is scary..

Old 02-17-2013, 09:56 PM

81 posts, read 214,610 times
Physically: Metro Atlanta, specifically north Fulton County (Dunwoody, Buckhead, Sandy Springs, and Roswell). Both areas are very congested (narrow, country, two laned roads handle high population), random office park clusters and shopping centers, tend to be more upper income (mix of nouveau riche and old money), can be very materialistic, are heavily wooded, have similar demographics (including transplants from other areas), subdivisions look similar, highly educated population, etc.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:11 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,151 times
My in-laws live in San Antonio. Um, yeah...no. Other than the horrific traffic (which is due to way too much recent building with zero infrastructure improvement because land is super cheap), I see very little similarity between the two areas.

Ugh, I really dislike San Antonio. I am always so thankful to be back home after a trip.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:06 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
The Research Triangle Area (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) in NC. We lived there decades ago for grad school, and on a recent visit back could not believe the increase in population, traffic, and upscale housing since we graduated. Lots of transplants, heavy university/science/medical influence, with a mix of planned communities and Takoma Park-like older walkable neighborhoods. One difference is that Durham is transitioning from a blue-collar tobacco town -- northern VA lacks that white working class population segment. But in many respects it's the location with the more similarities to the DC area than any other place we have been.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:24 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Raleigh/Durham has some similarities to NoVA. It has lots of suburban sprawl with many new housing developments. It is pretty highly educated. Topography-wise, it's not too dissimilar. Population-wise, Raleigh is a bit smaller than NoVA, but it seems much smaller because it doesn't have a very important city sitting next to it. It does not have the large city vibe that the DC area has and has no public transportation other than buses.

NoVA grew because of its proximity to DC. And to me, it cannot be separated out from DC proper. Conversly, the Raleigh and Durham metro areas are much smaller and would be more comparable to smaller-sized cities. Raleigh/Durham also does not have the historical significance that DC and other mid-Atlantic cities have such as Philly and Boston.

Raleigh/Durham is also much more rural than NoVA. The farmland surrounding the cities has not yet been eaten up by developments, so in that respect, Raleigh/Durham is about 20-30 years behind NoVA.

So, while I can see some similarities to NoVA, I think the biggest missing factor is the Raleigh/Durham area not being part of a larger metropolitan area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia