Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 10:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,573 times

Advertisements

Our family is excited about our move to the DC area this summer. We have children of 7 & 2 years old and good public schools is our top priority. Like everyone else we want as small of a commute as possible. We love Alexandria but are still in sticker shock of home prices. We would like to stay under $700k and find a nice home. We want to share the history of DC with our children so something close to the Metra would be good. We are moving from Chicago and are taken back at the hyper inflated cost of homes in the DC area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 11:21 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,733,105 times
I would suggest the Kingstowne area of Alexandria zip codes 22315, 22310 (Fairfax county - not city of Alexandria) this will afford you better schools and lower home prices..but not by much

Easy access to metro and very easy access to Fort Belvoir for medical care and commissary etc.

I would seriously consider a town house in that area. They aren't what you would expect. They come in all sizes and price ranges. The highest prices for a TH in the Kingstowne area are in the high $500K right now. There are SFH's as well - those are starting in the mid $600k.

Since you are military - I would also consider renting. Rents there are decent $2000-$2800 for a townhouse, $3000 plus for SFH. For the amenities it is great deal. There are slightly cheaper homes nearby in Island Creek and some other subdivisions that are great, just don't have the same amount of amenities.

The elementary schools are very good - no matter what everyone says about that particular area and the ratings - sure compared to some of the other areas of Fairfax county, they may not be 'the best" but they are still taught the same things. And since you are military - likely won't be around long enough to see them go the high schools in the areas (again not the best, but by no means subpar, compared to the rest of the country..not just the county) And I know as military member, the schools options around most bases is pitiful, so any school in FFC would be an improvement.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:09 PM

270 posts, read 909,638 times
We are a former military family and I would recommend looking in Arlington -pretty close in with excellent schools. The City of Alexandria schools aren't as dependable although the commute would be easier from there. You could push out into Fairfax County for good schools and a bigger house, but farther away. I agree with the renting option, unless you plan to be here for a while or expect to come back.

Be advised the market is crazy right now. Houses are selling really fast - at least here in Old Town if the price is not outrageous, it has 3 bedrooms, and under $1M.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:57 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,735,435 times
Where are you commuting to for work? Will either or both of you get free parking at your jobs?

How much space do you need? (Can you be OK with 3 bedrooms and under 2,000 square feet?)

Do you prefer prewar or recent construction?

N. Arlington has good schools; generally, generally, S. Arlington does not. Some of Alexandria has good elementary schools, but a lot of parents don't like the high school or middle schools.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:28 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,108,829 times
Lightbulb Lorton

Lorton is close to Belvoir, Springfield Metro, and provides commute options (VRE) while in southern Fairfax county and around $650-$700k for houses. South county high school in Fairfax is a solid school. Look at houses near that high school and near Hooes and Furnace cross in Lorton.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:31 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,954,592 times
Depending what you want for your money, I don't think there's any reason to go all the way to Lorton. OP, can you put some more parameters on "nice home"? Bedrooms, age, size, yard requirements, etc?

Old 03-27-2013, 07:55 PM

20,130 posts, read 16,195,599 times
Lots of military choose to move to Kingstowne or Springfield. There is public transportation to the Pentagon or DC and easy access to Fort Belvoir. I live in Woodbridge and we love it but it is a longer commute than Kingstowne or Springfield. Others I know moved to the Belle Haven, Fort Hunt, or Mount Vernon areas of Alexandria. By the way, with rare exception, all the elementary school in the area are good. Alexandria City Schools are a little bit more of a crap shoot from what other spouses have said.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:51 PM

16 posts, read 31,229 times
If your priority is good schools, then Fairfax County would probably be best, although Arlington and Alexandria schools are also fine. As others have mentioned, you would probably like Kingstowne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia