Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 12:04 PM

43 posts, read 242,155 times

Advertisements

Hi, list. I am curious to know if anyone might have experience or references for local moving companies. Thin budget. I am thinking of a one bedroom apartment worth of items to be moved from Alexandria City to, say, Woodbridge. Preferrably two workers, truck, and supplies. I realize that the internet is a wealth of reference, but am thinking that maybe someone on this list knows of a good local company. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 09:16 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
We had a very good experience with Paxton movers moving our house - but with just an aparment to move - cant you hire a U-Haul and pick up some day laborers?

Old 10-27-2007, 11:34 PM

20 posts, read 56,922 times
I don't have a recommended company, but I'd stay away from Two Guys and a Truck. I had them move my things (about 1BR apt worth of stuff). 3 guys showed up, could barely speak English. They tore up the hardwood flooring and broke/scratched a couple of expensive pieces of furniture. I emailed them about the problems, but I submitted quotes for the damages later than 30 days (who knew, but my fault) so they denied my claim. I quit fighting it. For $600+ I was not happy with them, and I'll never use them again (disappointed enough to register here just to reply to your post ). I would have been much better off with hiring day laborers as suggested above.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:23 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
For a 1-BR, a u-haul and maybe a couple of six-packs might be all you'd need to get the job done right by friends and relatives. Cheap, and usually very effective. If you wanted to go the pro route, below are some of the top-rated firms that work the Alexandria area according to Checkbook. From my experience, the smaller firms often offer the better deal. They may be more willing to go out of their way for you, where the large company crews seem to have deadlines and quotas on their minds and feel like The Man is looking over their shoulder all the time. Anyway, here's the list...the numbers are the percent who rated the firm Superior on overall performance...

All-Star Movers, Dorr Avenue, Fairfax (703-560-4288)
(79% out of 117)

Knicely and Sons, Echols Street, Vienna (703-281-5726)
(77% out of 80)

Ron's Moving, Commonwealth Blvd, Fairfax (703-273-0781)
(85% out of 60)

Some area companies that have good ratings but not many raters...

Big Green Moving, Lee Highway, Arlington (703-241-1001)
(100% out of 10)

Manassas Transfer, Colonel Court, Manassas (703-368-6055)
(82% out of 11)

Titan Moving & Storage, Morningside Lane, Alexandria (703-765-6426)
(100% out of 11)
[Note: These guys are ex-Marine body-builder types. They enjoy lifting heavy stuff in their spare time. So if you like super he-man types moving your things, this could be a way to go.]

Anyway, I don't have any personal experience with any of them, so can't add much. Perhaps interestingly, Paxton Van Lines didn't score so well (27% out of 15), but Two Guys and a Truck did (72% out of 65). I guess it's kind of a pig-in-a-poke sort of thing either way.

As an FYI if you haven't moved much, tips are what these guys actually live off of, so if they do a good job for you, an extra 25 or 30 bucks at the end of the day would be a great way to say thanks. I sort of use the minimum wage as a guide...currently just under $6 an hour, so if the job was 6 hours, I'd be thinking 35 would work, but that's all a personal thing. They will likely not even hint at a tip, so the initiative is on the customer to make it happen...

Old 10-28-2007, 07:10 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
Our neighbors used two guys and a truck and were very happy with them.

as for being spanish speaking...most companies will have them. It's the nature of the beast here. Our move here was with Allied...the guys who unpacked our stuff were all spanish speaking. They did a good job. (as good as any movers I've had...10 moves and counting)

you can always go the U-haul way...get some friends and pay in beer and BBQ after. Chepest and then you are in charge of your own stuff.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:41 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
The absolute best company is Interstate Van Lines in Springfield. I have lived here since 1981 and moved several times and after using them the last time, wish I had used them every time. They will give you a firm price and are incredibly professional. They have many sizes of trucks. I used a U-haul once but found that for a small move, the total price of having a professional team do it quickly and efficiently was comparable to the cost of renting a truck and paying less-skilled people (college students, not day laborers) longer to do the same job. Plus nothing was damaged and we weren't exhausted by the end.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:26 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
The absolute best company is Interstate Van Lines in Springfield. I have lived here since 1981 and moved several times and after using them the last time, wish I had used them every time. They will give you a firm price and are incredibly professional. They have many sizes of trucks. I used a U-haul once but found that for a small move, the total price of having a professional team do it quickly and efficiently was comparable to the cost of renting a truck and paying less-skilled people (college students, not day laborers) longer to do the same job. Plus nothing was damaged and we weren't exhausted by the end.
Rolling Road in Springfield (703-569-2121)
They were in the Checkbook ratings and earned a hefty 92% Superior rating from 39 raters. But they didn't get the coveted Red Checkmark for some reason. Might be a bit pricey or have a serious complaint outstanding. Don't know. But obviously, you're not the only person who was happy with them.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:55 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
I guess it depends on the guys. My husands company paid for the move and the Paxton guys were great - very professional - and when we were ready to move some extra stuff we had in storage - we hired the same guys "off the books" and they still did a great job.
A lot of these guys work for themselves in their spare time and on weekends.

Not only do you have to tip them - you should also feed them - just helps them move you better is what I think....

Old 10-29-2007, 07:50 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
Yes, I agree, tip well, they earn it! When we did a whole-house move I ordered a large tray of sandwiches from the deli (plus bought some soft drinks) and the crew appreciated it.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:43 AM

12 posts, read 55,838 times
Great Scott. Great guys, great service...Great Scott!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia