Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 02:37 PM

989 posts, read 2,855,994 times

Advertisements

They're looking in the Leesburg area and west of Leesburg, not Ashburn. That's probably why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 03:57 PM

4 posts, read 8,018 times
Thanks. Any thoughts on Broad Run?

Old 05-14-2013, 04:40 AM

989 posts, read 2,855,994 times
Broad Run is a decent school. It's one of the oldest in the county and is currently overcrowded but that should be alleviated in the next few years by the recent rezoning decisions of the school board.

In my opinion, of the Ashburn schools, it does seem to be the least desirable. I don't have a kid in high school and don't live in the Broad Run district so am going off community sentiment and opinions I've heard. That being said, least desirable Ashburn school is still probably better than a lot of schools in the northern Virginia area. I know I'm not a great help because I really don't have any first hand knowledge. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:19 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,516,197 times
The only HS in the entire county I'd have any qualms about is Park View. The difference in the others is "how many rich kids go to this school."

Old 06-04-2013, 09:04 PM

72 posts, read 105,908 times
I went to LVHS, great school.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,259 times
I suggest ignoring the comment about fewer FARMS have higher standards of learning. Parents' income really should not have an impact on standards. If however there is actually a correlation between income of parents and performance, I would then suggest that a lower performing school is actually an ADVANTAGE if you want to seek a school where your child's performance might stand out. Loudoun Valley was criticized for allegedly giving grades not merited (can't say there is evidence of this or comment on truth of that statement or not). I however would avoid a school where ALL The kids are getting straight As as find it hard to believe there is not an ability to distinguish top performers, even in a high performing school. Additionally I know friends here in Purcellville with straight A students (some from Woodgrove and some from Valley) who got no scholarship money for college even thought they had straight As (and NO their parents ARE NOT RICH). My oldest children on the other hand graduated from a city school district public school system where more than half the kids are living lower than poverty line and both received not only an outstanding education, but nearly full scholarships to college. I doubt my younger children who will go to Loudoun schools will have the opportunity to distinguish themselves the way my children in a more diverse school system (both socio economically and racially diverse) were able to. I also question that the education overall in a less diverse population prepares children for life as well frankly. It may not be of concern to you, but if concerned about children being presented with diversity then the Eastern Loudoun schools offer more in terms of that educational experience than Western Loudoun. You may not have to worry about college scholarship money, but if you do have to consider that, then consider the schools where your child will not be one of many As and where they actually grade on a bell curve and your child can stand out for his or her unique talents.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:18 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
Broad Run is a decent school. It's one of the oldest in the county and is currently overcrowded but that should be alleviated in the next few years by the recent rezoning decisions of the school board.

In my opinion, of the Ashburn schools, it does seem to be the least desirable. I don't have a kid in high school and don't live in the Broad Run district so am going off community sentiment and opinions I've heard. That being said, least desirable Ashburn school is still probably better than a lot of schools in the northern Virginia area. I know I'm not a great help because I really don't have any first hand knowledge. Hopefully someone else can chime in.
That's interesting. I got two kids there and it seems to be a pretty good school.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:34 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,249 times
If you want to be in western Loudoun I'd go with Woodgrove. You can't understate the importance of a newer facility. Plus Woodgrove doesn't have the overcrowding issues that many of the county high schools ar struggling with.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:24 PM

30 posts, read 31,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohicarr View Post
I'm curious why Broad Run High School is not mentioned?
Poster wants land. Not much in ashburn

Old 01-07-2015, 07:38 AM

2 posts, read 1,967 times
You've probably decided by now where to live. Hopefully u chose out west!
I'm posting because my husband just got relocated to Keller TX, and I decide to stay in VA so my daughter could finish 11th and 12th at Woodgrove HS. The school had some problems that can come with a new school but all has been worked out and I'm very pleased with my daughters teachers and the education she is getting. She's a hard worker and takes advance classes so if your child is on that track expect a lot of late night studying especially in 11th grade. We LOVE western LoCo!!! We lived east and would never go back! It's the most beautiful place you'll ever live and it's dotted with lovely vineyds and small towns to vist. Lots of outdoor activities too! Our favorite hiking place is Sky Meadows.
If you read this please let me know what part of TX you left and if you left because you were unhappy. We are still debating whether we should move or have my husband come back to VA in 2 yrs. I'm concerned about VERY high TX real estate taxes, house costs in Keller and ALL the fracking wells especially so close to homes. Would love to hear your thoughts. Thx!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia