Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 03:25 PM

948 posts, read 3,356,646 times

Advertisements

I'd potentially be travelling by metro from Nova to Potomac Ave. Tyler Field, 800 10th Street SE
Washington, DC 20003--with 2 kids to soccer practice. One of the concerns is when it starts getting darker earlier in Oct/Nov and we could be in route home when it's dark. Is this just too potentially risky for the area? Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 03:28 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,872 times
Just curious why you would travel to Southeast for soccer when I'm sure there are a ton of options in Virginia.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:17 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,751 times
Not very familiar with the exact address you provided, but from what I know the area around Potomac Avenue, while improved/improving, can be somewhat dicey. Might be an issue after sunset -

Why dont you drive instead?

Old 08-13-2013, 04:17 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
I'd potentially be travelling by metro from Nova to Potomac Ave. Tyler Field, 800 10th Street SE
Washington, DC 20003--with 2 kids to soccer practice. One of the concerns is when it starts getting darker earlier in Oct/Nov and we could be in route home when it's dark. Is this just too potentially risky for the area? Thanks for any input.
I spend alot of time at that field. Its a block off from very high end restaurants, 3 blocks from capital hill. I consistently park there when I go to either Belga Cafe (really nice belgian restaurant) or Sonoma Lounge (wine lounge).

That being said, you are in the city, and 3 blocks south or east of there and the neighborhood has less people on it. Less people = better conditions for crime. I have always found that staying where shop owners, restaurant goers, and general public are in DC has kept me feeling safe and being safe (avoid the dark alley by yourself).

For that reason I would suggest to you to instead of going to Potomac Ave station and walking from a fairly low density part over to the school. To instead go to the Eastern Market station and head down penn to 8th and south on 8th where there are still restaurants and things (look for yourself on google maps)

That way there will be lots of people around and it will be safer. To also relieve your worries, 1 block off from 8th is the police station, and this part (north of SESW) usually has good police presence in normal hours.

While you are there, head to one of the nice restaurants after soccer practice and get some mussels at Belga Cafe or something. You'll love it.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:20 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,114 times
Parking is an option, there are usually spots at Marion Park for free after 6pm IIRC, and its easy access from 395 in the reverse commute direction. So from north county you would use GW to 395, from south county straight up from 395, no probs bobs.

In fact with parking you might be able to find a spot at the school which also has non-metered parking.

Its a fairly affluent neighborhood around Eastern Market, you really shouldn't be too worried as long as you dont go south of SESW freeway or across the 14th st bridge, or wander east from the school on the norht side of Penn Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia