Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 05:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,034 times

Advertisements

I am interested in a property listed for auction at courthouse. The auction price is 500k. At the same time the house is listed as standard sale for 700k. I have pre approval for my loan and it's ready. Please answer the following questions:

answer my following question:
1. How much should I offer to win the bid?
2. Why this house is in the market as standard sale and is listed as auction for early October?
3. Do I need an agent to do the bidding for me?
4. How does auction in courthouse works? What documents should I prepare in advance?
5. Should I make an official offer when bidding?
6. How much the bidding cost?
7. Any hint or advise?
I appreciate your comments to my questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 07:00 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,118,571 times
It is my understanding that all gov't auctions are cash only. Did this one specifically say it will deal with a loan?

Old 09-07-2013, 07:50 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,599,914 times
The auction price of 500K is the floor. That's where bidding will start.

The bank(s) that holds the mortgage(s) will be there bidding and will not allow it to go to hammer for less than their current outstanding note(s) plus any carrying costs they've had on the place. They will bid it in for that price at a minimum.

You will need at least 20% of your bid price, if you win, in cash and certified funds that day to turn over to the auctioneer and be able to deliver the remainder of the funds in 10 days or so (details depend on specific auctions).

And, remember, you may still end up with title problems that have to be cleared up -- back property taxes will have to be paid, any contractor liens will have to be paid, plus recording fees and transfer taxes for putting the deed in your name and all that has to be done up front before you even get in the house and start to repair any damage that's occurred from the previous homeowner or vandals.

Buying a house at auction or short sale can be more expensive in the long run than just buying a house on the general sale market if you don't do your homework on the back story of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia