Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 11:37 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,729,248 times

Advertisements

A government shutdown will have serious economic effects in Northern Virginia: less money being spent, hours being cut at stores, less sales-tax revenue coming into every jurisdiction. It's irresponsible of Congress to do this--after Congress passed laws enacting the same programs that some of its members now object to spending the money on. Remember: Only Congress can spend money--not the president. All any president can do is sign laws, refuse to sign them (veto--in which case Congress can come right back with a 2/3 vote to override it), and use the bully pulpit.

The way to undo programs congressmen disagree with is to pass laws to get rid of those programs--not this suicidal hijinks of defunding those same programs they themselves enacted into law.

If the shutdown is only a day or so, NoVA and the overall DC region will recover--but any longer than that, and the famed stability of government employment is a thing of the past. In that case, it will be much harder to find the right people to fill government jobs in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 03:32 PM

540 posts, read 791,228 times
My wife and I have already agreed that we would put off a home project if we are shut down for a week or two. That means no contractors hired and no supplies purchased. Direct economic consequences.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:43 PM

505 posts, read 765,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
If the shutdown is only a day or so, NoVA and the overall DC region will recover--but any longer than that, and the famed stability of government employment is a thing of the past. In that case, it will be much harder to find the right people to fill government jobs in the future.
I don't know about the last part of your statement. I don't think the much longer shut downs of '95-'96 had much of an impact on the perceived stability of government jobs.

While many government employees might not get paid (although back pay has been common in the past) but they won't be getting laid off like many contractors do when the XYZ program is delayed /defunded /descoped etc.

If anything, even despite the impending shut down and the sequestration mess, government jobs are becoming increasingly desirable in this area. If they weren't, you wouldn't see much lower voluntary attrition rates than the private sector (e.g. people quitting their jobs) or so hundreds of applicants for each open position.

I completely agree the economic consequences of any shutdown will not be good for NoVA. Although there is the silver lining of less traffic for the people that still have to commute...

Old 09-29-2013, 03:47 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
I don't know what to think about attracting people to the government. I'm already having problems with it that have started in the last year. I realize that my experience is very anectdotal and I can't apply it to what goes on government-wide, but I'm having problems filling two GS-13 positions. When I get a candidate that is my "#1" choice and is supremely qualified, they make in the mid-GS-14 range and turn the job down. Now, for me to hire in from the outside, a GS-13 is considered "expert" in the field. The only people I can attract from the private sector have 3 years experience and they are coming in at a GS-13 Step 5 salary. Unfortunately, their background knowledge is insufficient and it has not worked out at all. I'm really kind of struggling to fill the billets. The contractors want in, but they want GS-14 pay.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:37 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
My wife and I have already agreed that we would put off a home project if we are shut down for a week or two. That means no contractors hired and no supplies purchased. Direct economic consequences.
I would likely be working at the National Science Foundation building in October since a manager is going on paternity leave. They may close the building is a shutdown situation. I don't know if that would mean I sit at that location all day with nothing to do or our staff would be rotated to our other locations. Plus a lot of the local lunchtime small businesses there would suffer, especially those in the mall across the street.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:39 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
So what happens to someone like you if you get laid off assuming it would take at least six months to find a new job?
I'm kind of in the same boat in the private sector. I'd head back to mom's house in Kentucky or see if my uncle would put me up in Richmond.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:46 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,729,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock847 View Post
I don't know about the last part of your statement. I don't think the much longer shut downs of '95-'96 had much of an impact on the perceived stability of government jobs.

While many government employees might not get paid (although back pay has been common in the past) but they won't be getting laid off like many contractors do when the XYZ program is delayed /defunded /descoped etc...
Well, I suppose that compared to contractor positions, that's true. But that's the risk folks take in being contractors--more money for less stability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I don't know what to think about attracting people to the government. I'm already having problems with it that have started in the last year. I realize that my experience is very anectdotal and I can't apply it to what goes on government-wide, but I'm having problems filling two GS-13 positions. When I get a candidate that is my "#1" choice and is supremely qualified, they make in the mid-GS-14 range and turn the job down. Now, for me to hire in from the outside, a GS-13 is considered "expert" in the field. The only people I can attract from the private sector have 3 years experience and they are coming in at a GS-13 Step 5 salary. Unfortunately, their background knowledge is insufficient and it has not worked out at all. I'm really kind of struggling to fill the billets. The contractors want in, but they want GS-14 pay.
I definitely think that the attractiveness of government employment varies by profession. For liberal-arts types, the income potential is quite good compared to what the private sector offers. For people in the financial professions, I think the reverse is true.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:47 PM

989 posts, read 2,856,947 times
Everyone impacted should be contacting all of your elected officials to have your voice heard. It takes like ten minutes total and the more VOTERS they hear from the more they may listen.

Conversations around the neighborhood this weekend are focusing on filing for unemployment (depending on how long a shutdown may be) and appealing the furlough to the MPSB, as is every federal employees right. The worst that can happen if your appeal is lost is that you don't get paid... So nothing to lose there.

I haven't even heard or thought about what happens to contractors if their offices are closed. Do they get paid or can they still have access? Another topic altogether but related.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:20 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
I haven't even heard or thought about what happens to contractors if their offices are closed. Do they get paid or can they still have access? Another topic altogether but related.

During the 1995 shutdown, I was a contractor. I was not an on-site contractor so I still had an office to go to. We had work to do so we continued to do it and we were paid. Now, had it run longer than 3 days and into weeks, we would have run out of taskings and then not legally been able to charge.

I guess it's going to be a different situation for every contractor. Depends what they do, how they do it, where they do it, etc.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:55 PM

6,563 posts, read 8,402,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
What type of positions are you trying to fill? My husband (a contractor) would be pleased with a GS-13 salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia